Chapala.com Webboard

The height of hypocrazy!

15 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Walmart U.S.A. has announced they will be saving $60 million per year by not providing free bags. That is a sound business decision and will be a major influence.

This information is NOT accurate!    Walmart did NOT announce that they would discontinue giving free plastic bags, they announced  they expect to save $60 million annually on plastic shopping bags, “just by changing our buying process and better utilizing our scale,” Chief Financial Officer Brett Biggs said.

39 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/www.informador.mx/amp/economia/Vidrio-el-residuo-rezagado-en-el-reciclaje-en-Mexico--20191112-0016.html

Google Translation:

"ECONOMY

Glass, the waste lagging in recycling in Mexico

About 56 percent of scrapped paper and cardboard are recycled, 50 percent in plastics, but only 12 percent of glass

The reporter

Published on 11/12/2019 - 02:28 HS

Senators signed on October 22 a new law initiative for the integral management of waste to order the disposal of waste and promote recycling in Mexico with the help of the private initiative.

The recycling market in Mexico is worth more than 3 billion dollars, according to estimates from the National Association of Plastic Industries (Anipac).

Small and medium-sized businesses live from this market, however much of the business is sustained in the recovery of plastic and aluminum, which leaves glass aside.

About 14.9 million tons of solid waste are produced annually in Mexico that can be reused, according to figures from the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat), of which 39 percent corresponds to paper, cardboard and the like, 30.7 percent to plastics and 16.6 percent to glass.

Information from different business chambers and the same agency indicate that about 56 percent of waste paper and cardboard is recycled, 50 percent in plastics, but only 12 percent of glass.

"This is because of the low cost that recyclers offer for this material, and it is because there is little interest in glass producers to give it a second life," said José Luis Pérez González, general director of Cerrando el Ciclo, a company dedicated to recycling glass bottles.

According to the firm Supraciclaje, the average price for which aluminum is paid (depending on its presentation) is 22 pesos per kilo, 7.16 pesos per kilo of PET, 47 cents per kilo of paper or cardboard (depending on the type), but Only 10 cents a kilo of glass.

“Some producers of beverages that use PET created associations to recover the material they use from packaging, but in the case of glass, the same companies ignore the product because they consider it to be degraded and sand is made, but they do not take into account the time it takes, ”added José Luis Pérez González.

Grupo Modelo is one of the few companies that recently announced projects for glass recycling, as it signed an agreement with Walmart so that the flow of its consumers nationwide can recycle their glass containers more easily.

"We are working every day so that the number of bars and restaurants allied to the recycling program grows, calculating that these efforts can reach hundreds of establishments across the country in the next two years," said Gabriel Maia, director of packaging and Sustainability of Grupo Modelo.

The government reported that in Mexico more than 44 million tons of total waste are generated annually (including organic and hazardous) and this number is expected to reach 65 million by 2030, of which glass could represent 6 percent.

Mexico City, where it recovers most

Mexico City (CDMX) is where the recovery and reuse of glass in the country is most reported.

Data from the Ministry of Environment (Sedema) of the capital of the country, detail that 62.61 tons of this waste are generated per day in the CDMX, of which 75.4 percent is re-used, well above the national figure.

“The waste that enters the selection plants is transported in bands to platforms, where the manual recovery of all the materials that are susceptible to being valued or used, such as pet, cardboard, paper, glass, metals, among others, is carried out. . The CDMX has two selection plants: Santa Catarina and San Juan de Aragón ”, details Sedema.

Much of this material is recovered through the “Barter Market”, a project with which the capital government exchanges recyclable garbage from citizens for locally produced food.

In 2018 alone, they collected 37.64 tons of glass, much higher than 20.20 tons of PET and 20.18 tons of paper.

“It is an opportunity for citizens to learn to separate, collect and above all, to understand about the recovery of waste,” describes Sedema."

Where I live recycling has been ongoing for a decade. If you are only talking about where you live it is not relative and definately not the norn. and by stating: " while doing almost nothing else is simply a panacea for the public. It is not even a good start."  and therefore "not important" concerning the federal, state, and municipal ban on plastic bags just because of your ignorance regarding the subject.

Oh, bull****. I never said it was not important, as you incorrectly quote me. Are you incapable of reading and absorbing? I think so. You who are ignorant bandy the word "ignorance" around far too easily, not realizing how poorly it reflects on you.

• Sad 3

17 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Oh, bull****. I never said it was not important, as you incorrectly quote me. Are you incapable of reading and absorbing? I think so. You who are ignorant bandy the word "ignorance" around far too easily, not realizing how poorly it reflects on you.

"not important"  to you not knowing of efforts already in play for recycling. Maybe your cognitive thinking needs a tune-up, not mine. I know exactly what you state and simply find it dumb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

You are the one that said my opinion is not important. You can't even get your story straight in an unimportant, tiny little thread... how do you function in the big bad world?

I rely on Smart phones and computers. LOL

2 hours ago, RickS said:

This information is NOT accurate!    Walmart did NOT announce that they would discontinue giving free plastic bags, they announced  they expect to save $60 million annually on plastic shopping bags, “just by changing our buying process and better utilizing our scale,” Chief Financial Officer Brett Biggs said.

Thank you RickS, when I need another peer to challenge my Phd defence, I'll look you up.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4