Chapala.com Webboard

Meeting Wednesday 11 am to protest plan to narrow highway in Ajijic center

Taaffe

It will take place in front of the Oxxo in Ajijic.

The local population wants a change to the plan to put wide barriers for the bike path, which will eliminate parking and increase congestion; not to mention passage of ambulances, police, firemen, etc.

2D590AA6-38F7-4C3F-BE09-E04B3AE867F1.png

I think parking and a bike path are probably mutually exclusive. Also parking might actually cause more congestion as cars are forced to parallel park in reverse in many cases. Parking will also make it harder for emergency vehicle passing than an open bike path with no parking allowed. 

It's pretty much a guarantee that if they allow parking again, it will be continuous cars parked on both sides. No bike path and no emergency vehicle passing. Worst outcome imo...Quoting Walter from the Big Lebowski..."am I wrong ?" 

my 2 pesos

• Like 1

I saw a gathering outside Intercam  on Monday about 6.30 maybe 20 people..if we all were knowledge about the grand plan maybe worth going...the only Mexicans going will be those "instructed" to attend by their block captains. ..most others will be enjoying their dinner after a long days work

Taffee  I would respectfully suggest " the local population " means party members who lost the last election

As it stands now, the bike path through Ajijic is useless because it is a parking lot.  Something needs to be done.  I believe a properly done continuous bike path will draw a lot more usage from Mexican cyclists using it to get to work and shopping.  Right now it is too hazardous to be widely used.

Not allowing parking on high traffic urban streets is quite common in Mexico.  I've seen in most of the busier places I've visited.  The community adjusts, some businesses move, others come in and life goes on.  It is time for this area to recognize that the "main drag" needs to be decongested in both Ajijic and Chapala by removing the parking. 

I read somewhere there are 3 million more cars in GDL alone in the last 10 years.  When Mexicans could finance cars Mexicans started buying cars, a lot of cars.  This near constant gridlock through Ajijic weighs on residents the most and needs to be addressed by ending the parking and improving the traffic lights.  Ditto for Hildalgo in Chapala from the mural to the main intersection.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

As it stands now, the bike path through Ajijic is useless because it is a parking lot.  Something needs to be done.  I believe a properly done continuous bike path will draw a lot more usage from Mexican cyclists using it to get to work and shopping.  Right now it is too hazardous to be widely used.

Not allowing parking on high traffic urban streets is quite common in Mexico.  I've seen in most of the busier places I've visited.  The community adjusts, some businesses move, others come in and life goes on.  It is time for this area to recognize that the "main drag" needs to be decongested in both Ajijic and Chapala by removing the parking. 

I read somewhere there are 3 million more cars in GDL alone in the last 10 years.  When Mexicans could finance cars Mexicans started buying cars, a lot of cars.  This near constant gridlock through Ajijic weighs on residents the most and needs to be addressed by ending the parking and improving the traffic lights.  Ditto for Hildalgo in Chapala from the mural to the main intersection.

Totally agree. Enforcement  is needed to keep cars from parking at all on the bike path in Ajijic and in Chapala they have to stop the double parking ( or stopping with flashers on ) 

They should reserve some temporary parking for businesses only on the south side to allow for delivery trucks

10 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I saw a gathering outside Intercam  on Monday about 6.30 maybe 20 people..if we all were knowledge about the grand plan maybe worth going...the only Mexicans going will be those "instructed" to attend by their block captains. ..most others will be enjoying their dinner after a long days work

Taffee  I would respectfully suggest " the local population " means party members who lost the last election

Not at all, this is not political but a grass-roots movement of mostly young professionals who belong to a facebook page which discusses problems in Ajijic (such as the yellow crossings in town) and tries to resolve these problems through communication with the authorities. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the police would start enforcing no double parking that would help in many places. Today I drive through Chapala and saw FOUR unattended (as in "empty") cars double parked on the main drag. 

I was find since I was on my ATV. and can park pretty much anyplace.

Still, I wanted to go into the pharmacy ("In God We Trust) just after turning toward Ajijic, and there was no place to park, so I missed out as did the pharmacy.

I wonder what is going on with the other side of the street that is all torn up.

I agree with all of you. Of course I am always going the wrong way when I pass some place I would like to go to. I  don't want to hold up the traffic behind me and listen to the symphony of horns either.  So much of the congestion is someone wanting to make a turn across traffic.  Some people are very considerate but many are not. There they are crawling a 15m /hr and won't let some one pass through. I was going to the hard ware by the Oxxo and chicken place. I was euphoric when I saw the parking lot next to the chicken place, where the clients for the hardware could park ( free).  Why cannot we have more parking lots ?  Charge some small amount.

BTW. This may sound a bit ignorant but what are the square holes in the cement going to be used for?

1 hour ago, Newjersey expat said:

I agree with all of you. Of course I am always going the wrong way when I pass some place I would like to go to. I  don't want to hold up the traffic behind me and listen to the symphony of horns either.  So much of the congestion is someone wanting to make a turn across traffic.  Some people are very considerate but many are not. There they are crawling a 15m /hr and won't let some one pass through. I was going to the hard ware by the Oxxo and chicken place. I was euphoric when I saw the parking lot next to the chicken place, where the clients for the hardware could park ( free).  Why cannot we have more parking lots ?  Charge some small amount.

BTW. This may sound a bit ignorant but what are the square holes in the cement going to be used for?

Flowers. 

3 hours ago, dennis clark said:

Trash most likely after the flowers die from neglect.  Just another indication of how poorly thought out this thing is.  Do you really believe a municipio that doesn't sweep up the trash or fix the pot holes in Ajijic is going to maintain flowerpots along the road?  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Gonzales said:

Don't allow left turns. Right turn around the block to lights.

They banned left turns onto many of the north-south streets many years ago. When you watched the police vehicles regularly ignore that you learned they weren't really serious. Just as red lights, stop signs, etc. are merely suggestions. When in Rome...

LOL! If you've ever driven a car in Rome, you'd know that the traffic problems in Ajijic are tiny by comparison.

There are so many drivers on the roads here that simply do not follow basic traffic rules that it would fill the coffers of city hall to overflowing if the traffic police would simply do their jobs. I see multiple blatant examples every single time I'm out and about.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ferret said:

LOL! If you've ever driven a car in Rome, you'd know that the traffic problems in Ajijic are tiny by comparison.

There are so many drivers on the roads here that simply do not follow basic traffic rules that it would fill the coffers of city hall to overflowing if the traffic police would simply do their jobs. I see multiple blatant examples every single time I'm out and about.

There we go, off on another direction..Rome, New York, London who cares a darn...I just love zipping along from SJC to Ajijic tope free..but for now long?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

Has anyone considered the traffic jams which will occur when stores receive their deliveries?

As I mentioned, they should designate some temporary parking spaces on the south side for delivery trucks. Yes, they will have to cross the street, but at least won't be blocking the path or road.

7 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

They banned left turns onto many of the north-south streets many years ago. When you watched the police vehicles regularly ignore that you learned they weren't really serious. Just as red lights, stop signs, etc. are merely suggestions. When in Rome...

Pappy you surely must know that government police, fire, and emergency vehicles are not governed by civilian traffic laws anywhere in the world that I know of, so they can legally do that. The ratio of police vehicles to civilian traffic is almost negligible 

• Like 1