Chapala.com Webboard

National Guard Removes Ejidos From GDL Airport Parking Garage

Mainecoons

https://www.informador.mx/jalisco/Guardia-Nacional-saca-a-ejidatarios-de-estacionamiento-del-aeropuerto-20200213-0031.html

Also a very good description of the improvement planned to the airport.

Ejidos planning marches on Chapala Highway, we could be in for some serious disruption getting to and from the airport and GDL.

I posted this mainly as a heads up that the people thrown out of the parking lot are planning to demonstrate on Chapala highway and we could have some serious holdups getting either to the airport or into GDL.  I have to take our maid's husband to the west side of GDL for cancer treatment on Tuesday and at this time I'm planning to go over to Lopez Mateos and then in as he absolutely cannot be late.

Hopefully any of us who encounters this will post something on the board so people catching flights are forewarned.

As usual the government brought it on themselves by not paying for the land at the time it was taken and now the Ejidarios are demanding a rather high settlement.  A little poetic justice there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Not sure if it would here in Mexico...but given the history of this dispute, I wonder if an "Independent" arbitrator system could work  and both parties agreeing to a settlement

I believe the courts already ruled in favor of the Ejido.  Govt says there is no money to pay... Simple solution would to give then a certain amount monthly from parking fees for a start.

The airport operator does not own the land I believe, the government does.  When the Ejidarios tie up the parking garage that is an action against the operator.  I think there's also room to question the amount of money being demanded now, which is way beyond the original figure.

In any case the government has brought this on themselves by not settling it a long time ago.  

This airport really needs expansion and modernizing.  It would be a shame if this screws that up.  

Leaving from Seattle this morning. I will be traveling from the Guadalajara Airport to Ajijic this evening. If they are on the road at that time, I will post what happens. Can hardly wait to get back to what I now call home, Ajijic. :)