Chapala.com Webboard

Is there another Svotia Bank Atm?

elevator

Same  here, happyjillin. No more ATMs for me, I hope. I opened up a checking account at Actinver Bank. They also have a brokerage branch. And I am able to wire funds from my US Merrill Lynch brokerage Account, to my Actinver brokerage account free of charge and am able to get a slightly better rate of exchange than I did at this and other bank accounts. I get almost the spot rate.

Oh, and the last time I wired money down, maybe a year ago, I got 20.5 or 20.4 pesos per dollar. I don't remember which. And I am waiting for another good exchange rate for the Mexican Peso before I send down more funds. 

Oh and I forgot to say  Go Millet Oilers, or is it Edmondchuck Oilers,. My Calgary relatives said I should always say/write that, when communicating with folks from the far north. :) 

Just now, johanson said:

Same  here, happyjillin. No more ATMs for me, I hope. I opened up a checking account at Actinver Bank. They also have a brokerage branch. And I am able to wire funds from my US Merrill Lynch brokerage Account, to my Actinver brokerage account free of charge and am able to get a slightly better rate of exchange than I did at this and other bank accounts. I get almost the spot rate. (when wiring funds to my brokerage account which is not the case when I wire to my bank account).

Oh, and the last time I wired money down, maybe a year ago, I got 20.5 or 20.4 pesos per dollar. I don't remember which. And I am waiting for another good exchange rate for the Mexican Peso before I send down more funds. 

Oh and I forgot to say  Go Millet Oilers, or is it Edmondchuck Oilers,. My Calgary relatives said I should always say/write that, when communicating with folks from the far north. :) 

I agree Slainte39. Used to have one with Lloyds because there certainly were no atm's for probably the first 10 years that we lived in Mexico and it was the easiest way to organize "living" money. Then Actinver bought Lloyds and they made the decision to close it very, very easy. Pete hasn't had problems with them and I hope he never does. Now ATM's are everywhere and getting money is far easier. I'd rather pay to use the ATM than have any large quantity of cash in any Mexican "Bank".

Yes, I am rather scared, after what has been happening with some banks in Mexico, and that is why I am allowing my Mexican Brokerage account to get smaller and smaller.  And I am keeping more of my brokerage retirement account up north..

That is I am drawing funds only from Mexico and not from the US and only wire small amounts when the exchange rate is above 20. I got 20.4 or 20.5 last time, So you know it was a while back

4 hours ago, johanson said:

Yes, I am rather scared, after what has been happening with some banks in Mexico, and that is why I am allowing my Mexican Brokerage account to get smaller and smaller.  And I am keeping more of my brokerage retirement account up north..

That is I am drawing funds only from Mexico and not from the US and only wire small amounts when the exchange rate is above 20. I got 20.4 or 20.5 last time, So you know it was a while back

What has been happening with some banks in Mexico? I ask because something seems to be happening with HSBC in Mexico but I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Mexico or Canada (the two accounts were connected)