Chapala.com Webboard

How will you know? Who do you trust? How concerned are you?

Eric Blair

I have been following the Corona virus very closely.

So far, I have read near to nothing about any cases in Mexico. Maybe it's not here yet, but my concern is that the it might not be made public until it is really bad. why? It would devastate tourism.

Without being paranoid, how concerned are you?

Just wondering.

• Like 1

I’ve decided to cut down on my travels, avoid crowds and stock up on food and necessities. Also wash hands often. This all may turn out to be nothing but until we know for sure it’s best to be cautious. I’m sure supplies from China are still arriving and illegal immigrants from China are still going everywhere. 

China has a strong presence in Africa and its only  a matter of time before we see the effects of the corona virus there OR not.

Do you remember the  swine flu here in Mexico about 12 years ago?? It was on CNN day and night. They were passing out masks to passengers on arriving planes (which everybody took off as soon as they exited customs)  Cruise ships changed ports to not stop in Mexico etc. etc. etc. 

The whole world was going to die  from it if you listened to CNN.

You should be much more concerned about the regular flu that kills 20,000 plus in North Americans every year  according to the US Centers For Disease Control......... It just doesn't make the news.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I am currently in Hawaii having transited DFW last Thurs.  Upon arrival there, I was amazed that ALL the passengers from all airlines were thrown together to clear immigration!!!  We arrived from GDL at the same time as a plane from South Korea and almost everyone off that plane was wearing a mask.  It was a mess.  When arriving in Kona, non stop from DFW...not many people in the airport were wearing masks but I bet it was a different story in HNL since they have been forced by the U.S. government to accept planes from China!  So far people hear don't seem too worried by it all inspite of one person being quarantined in HNL at the military base there.

I think that coronavirus and like all viruses, we should be worried about, but some people along with the main stream media are freaking out prematurely, way too much.  Main stream media has announced that we should be freaking out about this new virus and that we should be following their news cast daily to learn about the mortality rate of this new virus.  So far it is at 2 percent mortality rate, the common flu is 1 percent.  Also, if you are following the main stream media, you would be aware of that over 10,000 Americans have already died from the common flu, this season alone, in the United States.  China, with a super population way over the norm, has now had 800 to 900 people die in their super populated and crowded cities from this virus.  That is extremely unfortunate for those that have died, but really, at this can we seriously say that it is more deadly than the flu virus?  Only time will tell, maybe next year as it evolves, maybe we will understand it better or it will pose a greater threat.  Just live your life and live it to the fullest and don´t worry so much about what the media says to earn higher ratings.  Maybe we will all be dead by next year, or more likely, we will probably still be living, and on a lighter note, I just tell people that I stick to Tecate, so I don´t worry so much about the Corona Virus.

• Like 2

One big difference between prior outbreaks and the Coronavirus is, agree or not, there were vaccines available that possibly ameliorated the effect of the virus. For the Corona virus, there is none.

When Europeans came to the "New world," they brought diseases that the natives had NO immunity to. It's estimated that over 75% of the natives died within a few decades.

I'm also sure the cruise industry will take a big hit from this. I'm thinking of between 2,500 and 6,000+ people in a comparatively small space.

Lastly, at over 80 years, I am very high-risk for not just getting the virus, but from ending up dead.

So  - - -

Yesterday is a memory, tomorrow is a hope. This moment in time is the true reality. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

One big difference between prior outbreaks and the Coronavirus is, agree or not, there were vaccines available that possibly ameliorated the effect of the virus. For the Corona virus, there is none.

When Europeans came to the "New world," they brought diseases that the natives had NO immunity to. It's estimated that over 75% of the natives died within a few decades.

I'm also sure the cruise industry will take a big hit from this. I'm thinking of between 2,500 and 6,000+ people in a comparatively small space.

Lastly, at over 80 years, I am very high-risk for not just getting the virus, but from ending up dead.

So  - - -

Yesterday is a memory, tomorrow is a hope. This moment in time is the true reality. 

Carry on worrying. It is what will save you from the virus. Do not let the naysayers dissuade you from your fear and concern. At over 80 you are at high risk of being dead soon from something or other. Might as well spend whatever time you have left reading and worrying, and trying to spread alarm to the poor fools who are enjoying what time they have left. We all have a 100% chance of dying, some sooner, some later, but dead we all shall be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Carry on worrying. It is what will save you from the virus. Do not let the naysayers dissuade you from your fear and concern. At over 80 you are at high risk of being dead soon from something or other. Might as well spend whatever time you have left reading and worrying, and trying to spread alarm to the poor fools who are enjoying what time they have left. We all have a 100% chance of dying, some sooner, some later, but dead we all shall be. 

Sometimes it's just interesting to discuss current events and share opinions.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Jreboll said:

He’s Mostly lost.

But I have a great memory hahaha 

Actually I was addressing the fear that the Mexican government might "cover up" the arrival of a new influenza. The last time the world knew in days.  I was here and it was on every channel every day.  In all the papers. CNN US, Espanol and International were for a month or more the "all day flu channels"  Every medical expert they could find all warned us how dangerous it was. Meantime more people died from the regular flu that causes 20,000 plus deaths every year in  North America. But regular flue deaths do not make headlines.. And headlines get viewers and readers. 

Again you should be much more worried about the regular flu. There are flights daily from US cities where it is common. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Jreboll said:

I’ve decided to cut down on my travels, avoid crowds and stock up on food and necessities. Also wash hands often. This all may turn out to be nothing but until we know for sure it’s best to be cautious. I’m sure supplies from China are still arriving and illegal immigrants from China are still going everywhere. 

China has a strong presence in Africa and its only  a matter of time before we see the effects of the corona virus there OR not.

My African godson has been studying for a masters in Wuhan!  He was able to leave for Beijing before they cordoned off Wuhan.  He’s a 6’6” strapping young man and taking what precautions he can.  Right now he isn’t nervous, just very careful.  I’d prefer it if he’d just go home, but flights to various cities in Africa are non existent.  There are many many Africans studying throughout China, on scholarships.

Wash your hands multiple times a day, especially after having been in a public place like the super market.  And keep your hands out of your mouth, nose and eyes.  Common sense for any infectious disease.  I don't take the flu shot and haven't had the flu for many years because I practice what I preach.

Seems to me that I read somewhere that there are a lot of Chinese citizens that frequent the DF. I also remember the swine flu that Mexico waited about 6 months before reporting to health organizations and the cover-up. Remember the cover-up on the chicken/eggs.. My personal guess is this new virus is in Mexico. Only those very young and very old need be concerned, as a healthy person rarely has any problems, is my understanding. I also remember for the swine flu there were meds that would take 'care 'of it 'if you contacted it. Mexico is the "smoke screen capitol of the World".This virus, sadly, is a killer for young and old, and getting more deadly daily. What can I do? The best I can, since those "blue" masks offer 'almost 0 protection.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:52 PM, Eric Blair said:

I have been following the Corona virus very closely.

So far, I have read near to nothing about any cases in Mexico. Maybe it's not here yet, but my concern is that the it might not be made public until it is really bad. why? It would devastate tourism.

Without being paranoid, how concerned are you?

Just wondering.

There has been at least one case in Mexico read more

The Lancet has warned: “Independent self-sustaining outbreaks in major cities globally could become inevitable because of substantial exportation of presymptomatic cases and in the absence of large-scale public health interventions.”

Cases in Jalisco 

11 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

The major difference is there is no vaccine or "cure" yet, only palliative care.

As far as I am aware there is no cure for any virus.

The vaccines are to help built antibodies so your body can kill the virus before it affects you.  Just as there is no cure for the common cold because there are 100's of cold viruses and no vaccine could prevent all. 

On 2/12/2020 at 10:05 AM, Jreboll said:

Throughout our lives we share common sense with those who will listen. This is not fear mongering, it’s just something we do for others. If it is something that is reasonable and not too much trouble to do then why not be cautious?

Well they better have some lessons in masking. It drives me wild to see people wearing masks half mast.  They always seem to have the mask beneath their nose Especially in the bakeries at Walmart and Sorriano.  No one thinks the bad bugs will go into their nose when they inhale.😷

• Haha 1