Chapala.com Webboard

Its Ajijic's turn

ea93105

They are tearing up the almost new bike path in  central Ajijic. If they are going to continue with the wide concrete separators, it's going create an even tighter bottle neck than there is now. The widened bike path in Chapala is dangerous to road traffic. The section where the large Fig trees are is so narrow that if a bus or truck is coming there is barely enough room for opposing traffic. Too bad they don't listen to our input. A narrow protected bike lane would be fine imo, but not one as wide as what they've already built in Chapala and La Floresta. 

33 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

They are tearing up the almost new bike path in  central Ajijic. If they are going to continue with the wide concrete separators, it's going create an even tighter bottle neck than there is now. The widened bike path in Chapala is dangerous to road traffic. The section where the large Fig trees are is so narrow that if a bus or truck is coming there is barely enough room for opposing traffic. Too bad they don't listen to our input. A narrow protected bike lane would be fine imo, but not one as wide as what they've already built in Chapala and La Floresta. 

Very true but what can we do. It is distressing to see them making those solid concrete dividers as you know they are going to be expensive to remove when the time comes to make the carretera safely driveable again.

10 hours ago, ea93105 said:

We could take turns laying in front of the heavy equipment.  I know...me first

Best to leave that up to the Mexicans

In my opinion, the funds could have been put to much better use.  Have you noticed your water smells swampy???  Have you walked by the local pumping station and noticed the foul smell???  Have you noticed dirt and sediment in your taps???  Improving the water for all residents and visitors at Lakeside should  be a priority over a bike lane, IMHO.  I hope they get around to working  on the water situation one day.  

• Like 1

Off topic but I suspect they will never improve the water situation as there is constant growth almost everywhere requiring more water to be supplied. Quantity over quality. A finite resource. A recent article stated that Conagua can only afford to test about 6% of the water supply. Chapala water is supplied by 8 different wells. Ajijic area has many wells. It would be a lot of testing.

Some of the municipal wells have crapped out. There are supposed to be new wells dug, but, as usual no info on how many / how soon. With thousands of building permits issued water and sewer issues will literally be up to our front doors!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

At some point the only alternative will be to construct a surface water treatment plant to use water from the lake.  Between the berry farmers and the municipal use the ground water will be tapped out soon.  

There already is one, near Ocotlan. They pump water from the Lake into a large reservoir. It is then treated as certified potable, as per the law, then it is sent to Guadalajara via a dirty, leaky pipe or loaded into water trucks.

I would think cleaning the air would be a high priority. Get rid of, or tax to death, fuelish transportation methods. China is producing an electric powered vehicle which is expected to sell for under $4,000 US. Many Guadalajaran visitors remark on how clean the air smells here versus the City.

15 hours ago, Dostortas said:

In my opinion, the funds could have been put to much better use.  Have you noticed your water smells swampy???  Have you walked by the local pumping station and noticed the foul smell???  Have you noticed dirt and sediment in your taps???  Improving the water for all residents and visitors at Lakeside should  be a priority over a bike lane, IMHO.  I hope they get around to working  on the water situation one day.  

The funds for this project is coming from the budget of Secretaría de Movilidad, they have nothing to do with water. Like saying, why didn´t the Catholic Diocese fund the new Presbyterian Church?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's construction season AND the money is available. I don't like the mess any more than anyone else but it is moving right along. I can't imagine it being done in the heat of May and then there's the rainy season... and then we're kinda back into tourist season. I have a LOT of problems with the ability of emergency vehicles trying to get through the gridlock since there's nowhere for passenger vehicles to move to let them pass. I'm glad I live on the east side of Ajijic and don't have to go through Ajijic at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, slainte39 said:

The funds for this project is coming from the budget of Secretaría de Movilidad, they have nothing to do with water. Like saying, why didn´t the Catholic Diocese fund the new Presbyterian Church?

Do you remember, before the internet, people thought the cause of stupidity was the lack of information available? No, that wasn't it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not to mention almost no bus pull-offs, no passing lanes at intersections (think Chula Vista at Sunrise restaurant, turning south; think Farmacia Guadalajara at Donas, turning south, etc.). So not only are we saddled with extra-heavy traffic, now everyone has to wait while a bus stops, and when someone turns off the carretera. Which easily adds another 30% to your travel time through town.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Not to mention almost no bus pull-offs, no passing lanes at intersections (think Chula Vista at Sunrise restaurant, turning south; think Farmacia Guadalajara at Donas, turning south, etc.). So not only are we saddled with extra-heavy traffic, now everyone has to wait while a bus stops, and when someone turns off the carretera. Which easily adds another 30% to your travel time through town.

Usually at the Sunrise intersection the traffic is moving slow enough that the majority of the time the opposing traffic will allow the person to make the left turn. However in Riberas this is not so much the case anymore because of the higher speeds and some people are waiting for a huge opening before being willing to make the turn.

But another problem has surfaced which is the parking on both sides of the street thanks to the Monday market which has turned the street into a one way only and sometimes you can't even turn left off the carretera due to the backup. 

• Like 1

The only practical solution for the carretera, which has been done in GDL among other places is that these primary roads through Ajijic and also Hildalgo from the mural to the traffic light need to have all parking removed.  Some businesses will adapt, some will move and others will take their place.  Not having street parking in front is hardly unusual in today's world.  

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

... and a state police truck screaming down the highway in the wrong lane to get around traffic. If I knew which guy, I'd send him that video of the motorcyclist who just got killed by a driver doing the same thing.

Maybe he has a Facebook page!!...actually my experience is seeing more and more m/c coming at you, around you in all directions..its a big mess...on Monday it too me longer to get to the airport from West suburbs of  Lakeside.... than it did to fly to MX City from Guad airport, a combination of congestion at Lakeside and accident on the highway to the airport

37 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

The only practical solution for the carretera, which has been done in GDL among other places is that these primary roads through Ajijic and also Hildalgo from the mural to the traffic light need to have all parking removed.  Some businesses will adapt, some will move and others will take their place.  Not having street parking in front is hardly unusual in today's world.  

That is such an obvious thing to do. What are they thinking?

8 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

A glimpse into the future? China has something like 400 EV manufacturers, including Tesla which has recently spent one billion for a new plant there. Mexico just needs to figure out how to require them to be street legal and safe here.

https://www.eagle-ev.com/products

Funny, I see glorified golf carts here with plates...with a maximum speed of about 20mph, no seat belts or anything from what I can tell

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ea93105 said:

Funny, I see glorified golf carts here with plates...with a maximum speed of about 20mph, no seat belts or anything from what I can tell

This US company is more in line in what needs to be done. A large parking lot, the further you are away from the exit, the less the rates become, but they provide a free shuttle to take into the no fuel zone, you could also rent vehicles and electric bikes. Sure, the cops will still want their big pickups, and ambulances would be exempt, but then there be now room to pass or pullover for them. A real smart cookie would work out a way to entice a Chinese EV manufacturer to relocate Lakeside, creating meaningful jobs for locals, and a captive market for their products.

https://gem.polaris.com/en-us/

The perfect alternative vehicle here might be an electric assist narrow three wheel recumbent bicycle with a roof and some cargo ability. Legal and safe on the bike path without getting scorched in the sun. No gas, registration or insurance and no sweat unless you want to.

I don't anyone makes such a thing yet.