Chapala.com Webboard

Motorcyclist

artsnob

I was at the gym at the time it happened, around 8:00, and passed by on the way home two hours later and the sheet covered body and vehicles were still there.  Was told it was a young Mexican guy on the blue motorcycle coming from Chapala and a Mexican driver heading east who crossed into the left lane to pass another motorcycle and didn't see the one coming and they hit head on.

It looked like an older (than young) guy lying in the pool of blood. Hard to say if he was expat or Mexican. It took about 3 hours before they took the body away as they had to wait for the cadaver vehicle to come from Guadalajara.  The motorcycle was going east and probably didn't see the oncoming vehicle for the sun.

There seemed to be more crazy drivers than ever this morning.

2 hours ago, benji's mom said:

Some one posted a video of the accident in a Facebook group - the car was in the wrong lane passing one motorcycle and hit an oncoming motorcycle head on.  

Yes, in the wrong lane as it was passing

When will it end? When they have proper training and enforcement of the laws? A good Mexican friend of mine who I taught to drive drives a motorcycle for a living. A one legged guy was working at the car wash above Laguna mall. He lost the other leg in a motorcycle accident. Worrying. 

I almost hit a gringo moto rider about noon in La Floresta today where they have put the new planter boxes. The lane there is much narrower than it used to be. I was going west concentrating on the road surface and how close the planters were into my lane. I saw a good sized pot hole and jogged right to miss it. The gringo moto rider just squeezed out between me and the planters where he should not have been. Those lanes are just not wide enough to share and one shouldn't have to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Another motorcycle accident in Las Floresta on the Carretera today around 12:30 this afternoon. It looked like the rider was killed.

Unfortunately we all might know that rider but I'm not going to post second hand info. I was also told from someone who works near the Riberas accident that that person was around 55 years old and to him looked like a foreigner.

5 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Are motorcycles allowed on the new bike lane? Could save lives especially for all those crazy food delivery guys whizzing around. 

3 hours ago, geeser said:

I almost hit a gringo moto rider about noon in La Floresta today where they have put the new planter boxes. The lane there is much narrower than it used to be. I was going west concentrating on the road surface and how close the planters were into my lane. I saw a good sized pot hole and jogged right to miss it. The gringo moto rider just squeezed out between me and the planters where he should not have been. Those lanes are just not wide enough to share and one shouldn't have to.

Anyone on a moto or motorcycle trying to pass on the right is irresponsible and risking their life

Aren't they planning on redoing the entire carretera ? I'm sure ( well not 100%) that they will move the centerline to reflect the new dimensions and hopefully they will  widen the road accordingly on the south side where there is more than enough room in most places.

Motos in the bike lane ?? Obviously not allowed, but regrettably not enforced

My understanding is that the bike lane will be two lanes, one east and one west with a line down the center.  They are spending untold millions of pesos for this widened bike lane for maybe 1000 people that use it.  As opposed to narrowing the lanes that thousands and thousands of motorists transverse every day.  A narrower road will make for even more accidents.  AS an aside:  Every motorcycle and scooter should have their lights on when the motor is on, bar none.

9 hours ago, Yo1 said:

My understanding is that the bike lane will be two lanes, one east and one west with a line down the center.  They are spending untold millions of pesos for this widened bike lane for maybe 1000 people that use it.  As opposed to narrowing the lanes that thousands and thousands of motorists transverse every day.  A narrower road will make for even more accidents.  AS an aside:  Every motorcycle and scooter should have their lights on when the motor is on, bar none.

Maybe its a case of " if you build it, they will come"

Imagine if they had public electric bicycles like in Guadalajara. Fewer cars is a good thing

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

Maybe its a case of " if you build it, they will come"

Imagine if they had public electric bicycles like in Guadalajara. Fewer cars is a good thing

I think the new bike path should be a toll road. Divide the cost by number if users and let that few pay for it. It won't be difficult math probably do it in your head!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Unfortunately that will have the same result as Mexico's overpriced toll roads, namely users avoid them and use free ones no matter how badly maintained.  

I just can't imagine why anyone thought they needed to make it wider, particularly when the vehicle travel lanes are already too narrow.  And why in the heck do they think they need to tear up the nearly new one already there? 

This really is pretty crazy.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Unfortunately that will have the same result as Mexico's overpriced toll roads, namely users avoid them and use free ones no matter how badly maintained.  

I just can't imagine why anyone thought they needed to make it wider, particularly when the vehicle travel lanes are already too narrow.  And why in the heck do they think they need to tear up the nearly new one already there? 

This really is pretty crazy.

I noticed today that they actually narrowed the bike path through La Floresta ! Now they need to trim some of low hanging branches, it's a close call for me

Also noticed the chalk lines at the libramiento intersection, major widening of the road to allow for better merging

• Like 1

A mexican friend of mine was at my house yesterday and he was just  minutes  behind this killing going west. He showed me the video from the store cam east of the 711. the car was not trying to pass the moto far in front of him,in any event. There are two things to speculate about. The killer driver was on his cell and wandered or,and this is more likely,without looking nor slowing down decided to turn into the 711. Absolutely nothing was in front of them in the westbound lane to block their view.

9 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Is there such a thing as vehicular manslaughter in Mexico ? What kind of consequence will the car driver face ? Just curious

Depends on a combination of how good, connected, and/or expensive his lawyer is.

I'm not being facetious, that's just the way things are.