Chapala.com Webboard

LaPueblita retirement project

LaPueblita

1 hour ago, LaPueblita said:

On a visit to Chapala we had a tour of the retirement building LaPueblita, it sounds interesting.

I would appreciate feedback and opinions from people who have signed up or have information about this development.

Thenk you!

Johannes Bjorner

Johannes, I'm curious about the meaning of the retirement building's name (LaPueblita)--what does that mean?   I'm also curious about YOUR name on the post (also LaPueblita).  Are you part of that retirement home business?

La Pueblita was cited in the following GR stories dealing with runaway development in the region. The final story indicated La Pueblita was approved along with others, but the story offered no details.   

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/52806-movement-to-shield-ajijic-mountain-range-builds-steam

Specific cases include a property located north of Riviera Alta, a 30-hectare plot tucked in the hills in the vicinity of the Tepalo hiking trails, land under development in upper Rancho del Oro and La Pueblita and a retirement housing complex in the early stages of construction on Ajijic’s western outskirts.

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/53027-chapala-tackles-development-issues-in-epic-council-session

First up was La Pueblita, a residential retirement complex on the western outskirts of Ajijic. The principal bone of contention concerned the value and dimensions of land to be ceded to the government as required by law. The proposal for resolving the issue centered on striking a deal to trade off a section of the property for an equivalent off-site location for a new Ajijic cemetery.

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/53055-urban-development-recommendations-ratified

The recommendations covered regularization procedures proposed in regard to 12 development projects authorized by the previous administration led by Javier Degollado: La Pueblita, Condominio Los Ahuilotes, Promotora de la Salud, Condominium Olas Altas, Hotel Boutique La Floresta, Hotel La Chapinaya, Condominio Dommira Residencial, Condominio Entorno Laguna, Condominio Centro Laguna II, Condominio El Tepetate and Fraccionamiento Universidad.

A follow-up article will delve into greater detail on some cases of particular public interest, based on the 74-page written text of the commission’s proceedings that has been provided to this newspaper.

• Thanks 1

The BIG question is what steps have been taken to assure these developments infrastructural services???????? Water----none, sewer ---some say they will have their own treatment plants--- maybe. electric----none, roads-----none, ambulance service----none,  trash----none , what else.........?????

• Like 1

It's a continuing care retirement community, modeled on many similar successful communities NOB. You buy-in once for a level of service (meals, health care, utilities, transport, etc) and then pay a monthly rent for the type of dwelling you want: home, apartment, etc. The idea is you can start off in independent living, move to assisted living when you need it, and end up in full time (nursing) care at the end, without leaving your community. Some % of the original buy-in is redeemable by you (if you leave) or your heirs (if they carry you out). 

What makes this interesting is the model is being imported to Mexico, where costs are much less. La Pueblita is the first of several planned communities in Mexico, and is much less expensive than the communities NOB.

It is not a timeshare. The developers are professionals with a good track record NOB. Whether it works here, or not, TBD!

• Like 1

They have a website but there is no 'real' info on the operation here.  Pictures are probably from a similar operation in California ??

I was told they have 5 floor plan options to choose from but nothing is shown in their brochure or website.

As a side note there apparently is another retirement development to be down close to Chula Vista.  When you call the number listed in the advertisement they tell you construction will start this year.  There is a picture of the proposed development (La Serena Sinior Living) on page 14 in the current Lake Chapala Society Directory.

2 hours ago, NoVaDamer said:

It's a continuing care retirement community, modeled on many similar successful communities NOB. You buy-in once for a level of service (meals, health care, utilities, transport, etc) and then pay a monthly rent for the type of dwelling you want: home, apartment, etc. The idea is you can start off in independent living, move to assisted living when you need it, and end up in full time (nursing) care at the end, without leaving your community. Some % of the original buy-in is redeemable by you (if you leave) or your heirs (if they carry you out). 

What makes this interesting is the model is being imported to Mexico, where costs are much less. La Pueblita is the first of several planned communities in Mexico, and is much less expensive than the communities NOB.

It is not a timeshare. The developers are professionals with a good track record NOB. Whether it works here, or not, TBD!

So what is the price range..trust  me there are comparable unaffordable places  in in the Carolina's,  maybe not the same climate but I bet with in 10_15% of their  offers

I listened to their promotional pitch, because I was interested in their business model. I don't recall the exact costs, so I don't want to throw something out there; anybody interested can get a quote from them, I am sure. I am also sure there are cheaper places in the States; you get what you pay for in either case.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:47 AM, jhark said:

Nothing is completed yet but it looks like they will have a couple of casitas to show pretty soon.  They also have a couple of 4 story building structures topped out so it is moving along.

4 stories are illegal in this area. Also no ok from the community. This government hands out permits like they were going out of style. Oxxo on Colin.....

• Thanks 1

I have not read the material on this "aging in Place " But I am familiar with certain ones in US.  It is true you progress  from independence to possibly  needing more complex care, but many of the extras are not included and you must pay for them. i.e. nursing assistance. One place I knew of charged a large amount . And then rent . When you died they returned all. It isn't illegal but the company had your money to invest for itself all the time you were there. Not blaming them,  but I would ask every question you can.  Is transportation free? food?  will the rent go up?

How is medical needs handled. I know someone who plans to go there and raved about all the things that were included.  I say included doesn't equate to free.  This place may turn out to be great place. I would just ask every question you can think of and see it in writing.  Is the rent "reasonable because you do not get all your money back?

On 2/11/2020 at 9:45 AM, More Liana said:

Johannes, I'm curious about the meaning of the retirement building's name (LaPueblita)--what does that mean?   I'm also curious about YOUR name on the post (also LaPueblita).  Are you part of that retirement home business?

I want to know what the company thinks the name of this place means.

• Thanks 1