Chapala.com Webboard

2020 survey/ census

Kyle

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

The National Institute of Statistics and Geography (INEGI by its name in Spanish: Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía) is an autonomous agency of the Mexican Government dedicated to coordinate the National System of Statistical and Geographical Information of the country. It was created on January 25, 1983 by presidential decree of Miguel de la Madrid.

It is the institution responsible for performing the population census every ten years;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Institute_of_Statistics_and_Geography

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=tD1kXq-yBI30tAWThrWwCQ&q=+how+often+is+the+mexican+census&oq=+how+often+is+the+mexican+census&gs_l=psy-ab.3...40.20595..27040...0.0..0.276.5514.0j24j8......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i10j0i13j0i13i30j0i13i5i30j0i22i30j0i8i13i30j33i22i29i30j33i21j33i160..26%3A136.dqyqbI3V7Ys&ved=0ahUKEwiv3JP00InoAhUNOq0KHRNDDZYQ4dUDCAY&uact=5

So it was changed at some point from 5 to 10 years? Maybe changed in 1900?

Under the Mexican government, national censuses were attempted in 1868 and 1878. They were not accepted by the people, who feared more taxation and military conscription. The 1895 census was more successful. After the 1900 census, additional censuses were taken every 10 years.

Confusing.

11 hours ago, Yo1 said:

The last Mexican census released to the public was 1930.  Hoping they will release the 1940 census after this one is taken.  The US has already released it's 1940 census.

Other countries besides the US are usually slower to release census returns results for privacy reasons.   A frustration for genealogists but a relief for many of the census participants. The latter are likely to give more information if they know they will have more privacy.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, Kyle said:

Do you have to let them enter your home?

No. They will stand at our door and ask you questions and enter their answers on their electronic devices. They are very nice. They have and show plenty of identification. And this census is done every 10 years as in the US. MIne took less then 15 minutes. 

4 hours ago, Sunshineyday? said:

I just wish they would not leave impossible to remove without taking the paint off of newly painted metal doors stickers. Aaaargh!!!

My census taker said the stickum was hard to get off and asked where I'd like her to put it. She ended up wrapping it around the pole (I can't remember what that's called at the moment) that comes up out of my electrical meter. It can stay there forever for all I care.

And when she came to question about how many kids I had, and then the one about how many are still living, she was really uncomfortable. She said she has a really hard time asking that question, as she has 6 kids and can't bear the thought of one of them dying.