Chapala.com Webboard

2020 survey/ census

Kyle

The last one we did was done at the street door and we did not let them onto the property or into the house, they were fine with it and we had no issues.  Don't let them put the sticker on your door, that sticker/adhesive is the devil to get off!  The census takers asked me to get a piece of saran wrap and they stuck the sticker to that and then used every day cellophane tape to stick it up and told me that I could remove it after 2 weeks.  The sticker is just so they know that the house has already been counted.

12 hours ago, .Colibri. said:

The last one we did was done at the street door and we did not let them onto the property or into the house, they were fine with it and we had no issues.  Don't let them put the sticker on your door, that sticker/adhesive is the devil to get off!  The census takers asked me to get a piece of saran wrap and they stuck the sticker to that and then used every day cellophane tape to stick it up and told me that i could remove it after 2 weeks.  The sticker is just so they know that the house has already been counted.

Thanks for the idea of alternative fixing the sticker

On 2/7/2020 at 8:58 PM, Mostlylost said:

Census happens every few years here.  I have answered a few. Simple questions. They will post a sticker in front when completed.

Not strange for governments to do so. Constitutional requirement in USA. 

Fraccionamiento, Kyle.  And the national census is every ten years.  2020, then 2030.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

My name is not Kyle. and so sorry for saying few when 10 is the correct. But there was some kind of census here 5 years ago. 

Kyle is the OP, who said he lived in a factiamento.  I was only talking about the national census, which is every ten years.  Other censuses--state or local--can take place any time.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, Census taker at our Ajijic home on Independencia near Pedro Moreno this afternoon.  I invited her to the patio and gave her a cold water which she much appreciated.  Basic questions about house and occupants.  Took about 15 minutes.  She was concerned about where to put the sticker as she said it might rip off the paint.  We decided to put it on the corner of a ceramic plaque next to our door as I figured I can get any sticky residue off of that without any harm.  

She said to leave the sticker there until the end of March so her jefe could see we were counted.  

On 2/9/2020 at 2:58 PM, luvsdawgs said:

I have answered their questions while they were standing on the street with me behind my gate. No need for them to come inside.

That is how it is supposed to be according to the census website. They should not come into your home.

On 2/7/2020 at 8:25 PM, Kyle said:

I live in a factiamento . Our board is telling us to let surveyors into our homes for the 2020 census.  Has anyone else heard of this?  Sound strange to me.

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/www.eleconomista.com.mx/amp/economia/Arranca-Censo-2020-que-es-y-para-que-sirve-20200302-0032.html

Google Translation:

"Social and health security

The president of the Inegi, Julio Santaella, invited through its networks and articles to the population to open the doors of their homes and answer the questions of the Inegi pollsters, in order to obtain real and useful information for the development of Mexico.

At the opening of the 2020 Census, Julio Santaella, went to a house in the mayor's office of Benito Juárez to conduct a model survey. In the same way they will be applied in the nearly 51 million properties around the country.

In a press conference, the president stressed that for the security of both homes and pollsters, a protocol is established that mainly indicates that pollsters must wear the uniform all the time and their identification as representatives of the Inegi, also have strict orders of not entering the houses."

• Like 1

To be clear, I did not let the Census worker into our house; we have a patio just inside our gate and thought we'd both be more comfortable seated (as much for me as for her). so we invited her to sit on the patio.  Maybe because I did field work for a few years when I started my career, I always treat these workers the way I would have liked to be treated.  

@tomgates, as far as the q's, none of them were nearly as obtrusive as the 2000 US long form Census we got.  It asked about income, mortgages, dividends, interest, etc.  We refused to answer the financial q's.  They phoned us a few times afterward and we just said we weren't going to answer some q's.  Then a worker showed up at our home a month later, at dinner time no less!  We stilled refused to answer certain q's and she reminded us we were subject to legal action if we didn't.  We didn't, never heard back.  

I complained to both the Census office and my elected officials.  Guess I wasn't alone in that as they discontinued the long form for the 2010 Census.  

On 2/7/2020 at 8:25 PM, Kyle said:

I live in a factiamento . Our board is telling us to let surveyors into our homes for the 2020 census.  Has anyone else heard of this?  Sound strange to me.

The workers are not allowed to enter homes, so don't worry about it. They will conduct the survey at your door.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:36 AM, More Liana said:

Fraccionamiento, Kyle.  And the national census is every ten years.  2020, then 2030.

The census is every 5 years in Mexico. I have been here off and on for 30 years have never been counted.

24 minutes ago, cedros said:

The census is every 5 years in Mexico.

The National Institute of Statistics and Geography (INEGI by its name in Spanish: Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía) is an autonomous agency of the Mexican Government dedicated to coordinate the National System of Statistical and Geographical Information of the country. It was created on January 25, 1983 by presidential decree of Miguel de la Madrid.

It is the institution responsible for performing the population census every ten years;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Institute_of_Statistics_and_Geography