Chapala.com Webboard

Min Hua-recent experiences

Mainecoons

15 minutes ago, chapalence said:

I'm wondering where the place is in Joco. Any idea?

Coming from Chapala, drive thru the first stop light in Joco, a Chinese restaurant will be on your left a few doors past the Guadalajara Farmacia.  If you cross Calle Nicolas Bravo, then you drove past the restaurant.  I think one day a week is a buffet day, maybe Monday.

A Chinese buffet place is on the same road but before the stop light and it is also to your left side.

I can't give a reasoned response to the question, because we haven't been for a couple of years: the food was terrible. Not just plain or boring, like the places at Soriana or Laguna mall, but actually bad. Tasted off. Tasted weird. Basic dishes like beef'n'broccoli, and chicken balls. The last three times we went. We asked the owner if they'd changed cooks and the answer was no. We couldn't even put the taste down to over-used cooking oil; I don't know what it was. So the only thing I can recommend is the sizzling rice soup. But our experiences were so poor that I won't the guinea pig for any supposed revival.

My bottom line with Asian restaurants: when I finish eating, do I feel like I just ate a plate of "all the same", or do I have flavour memories of individual dishes? And the one in Joco checks the right boxes.

Have not eaten there in years ( Min Hua ) but did stop by last week on a cool day to pick up a quart of hot and sour soup.... It tasted pretty good considering  ,but I’m sure the weather helped . I would love to hear Some positive comments about any of their menu items . I miss a couple of items from Rickys...shame it closed.

31 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Have not eaten there in years ( Min Hua ) but did stop by last week on a cool day to pick up a quart of hot and sour soup.... It tasted pretty good considering  ,but I’m sure the weather helped . I would love to hear Some positive comments about any of their menu items . I miss a couple of items from Rickys...shame it closed.

I will return to Min Wah and give a report. Maybe they have improved.

Interesting, Stymie, about the fried rice. Glad you added that note. Fried rice being a staple dish, every serving should be unquestionably good. If a place can't master it (I certainly have, many, many years ago), and I know More Liana will agree with me, it makes me suspicious of everything else on the menu.

WE'RE MEMBERS OF A FAIRLY LARGE GROUP WHO GET TOGETHER FOR DINNERS ONE NIGHT EACH WEEK WHERE ONE OF THE COUPLES CHOSE THE RESTAURANT.  MIN-WAH HAS BEEN A HANDS DOWN FAVOURITE AS WE NOW GO INTO OUR SECOND YEAR.  IF YOU WANT TO KNOW IF THE RESTAURANT IS WORTH A VISIT THEN........GO AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF.  IN OUR OPINION, MIN-WAH: TRIES HARD; HAS GREAT SERVICE; IS CLEAN IN THE KITCHEN, THE DINING ROOM AND THE WASHROOMS;  HAS MANY EXCELLENT AND CLOSE TO AUTHENTIC DISHES; HAS A REASONABLE CORKAGE IF YOU BRING YOUR OWN WINE; IS MORE THAN REASONABLY PRICED AND......IF YOU HAPPEN TO LIKE "EGG FOO YUNG" IT'S COMPARABLE TO THE BEST WE'VE EVER EXPERIENCED ANYWHERE. 

THE CHINESE RESTAURANT IN JOCOTEPEC HAS ALSO BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR MANY YEARS.  IT'S A STRAIGHT FORWARD, HONEST ATTEMPT AT OLD FASHION CHINESE FOOD THAT'S PROBABLY NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOU EXPERIENCED YEARS AGO IN YOUR HOMETOWNS IN THE ONLY OTHER TWO NORTH AMERICAN COUNTRIES WHERE YOU'RE NOT REFERRED TO AS "AN EXPAT". 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

After reading this, we gave Min Wah a try. Both the soup and the two dishes we tried were so overladen with salt that we struggled to eat them. The almond chicken was made with peanuts, not almonds, a fact my partner concealed until later.

The service was excellent, the prices reasonable, but the salt issue means we won't be returning. 

Which soup did you have?  I really like their hot and sour soup.  I usually get cashew chicken and there are definitely cashews in it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bdlngton said:

Which soup did you have?  I really like their hot and sour soup.  I usually get cashew chicken and there are definitely cashews in it.

Hot and Sour. The contents were delicious and save for the excess amount of salt I would have loved it. I don't use a great deal of salt when cooking, but I do salt most of my food at the table.