Chapala.com Webboard

Disputing ATM transactions

moonhill

Has anyone had any luck disputing a Bancomer ATM transaction?

Yesterday I decided to use the Bancomer ATM at Wal-Mart.  Should have known better. The machine took me through all the steps and then said transaction had completed successfully.  No money. Printed a receipt & gave me my card back. Still no money. Today I'll try to dispute it at the Ajijic branch but not holding my breath.

Normally my bank in the U.S. sees that a machine didn't dispense  and reverses it but not this time.

Any helpful feedback with dealing with Bancomer would be appreciated. 

You can't resolve the issue with Bancomer. You'll need to call your bank to report the problem. If you're lucky, the bank will give you a provisional refund while they make the claim. ATMs have sensors that detect a physical problem but yours sounds like a communication failure where the non-dispense did not trigger the automatic reversal of the original withdrawal request. 

When you request money at an ATM, the system sends a request to your bank asking if you have funds available to cover the withdrawal. If you do, you bank charges your account and sends the positive acknowledgement to the ATM, all assuming the transaction will complete properly. A physical dispense malfunction will cause the ATM to send a reversal message but if the ATM never receives the original reply your money is gone, the transaction times out and you're stuck. The ATM audit trail will show no money was dispensed and with that info your bank should permanently refund the amount you requested.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I had this happen with the NEW SANTANDER ATM machine at Soriana. It grinded and chewed around for several minutes. Then started over and finally quit and displayed an error screen. I could hear the bills getting together then it sounded like it was tearing up the bills. It took a couple of weeks for my bank to credit me. I have never tried it again but it's because everytime I go into Soriana it's says it's out of service. This is a New type machine where you put your card in sideways. When I tried to get at least a witness to the event they would all just say you have to put your card in differently. Finally got one to walk over and a knowledge it was not functioning. I have had this happen before in my life and both times it made me feel at their mercy. They could say you got the money even if you didnt. The other time it happened to me was in the U.S. and I had to kind of fight them over it. Luckily the ATM had cameras and after complaining numerous times my bank asked for the video and they credited my account. 

1 hour ago, moonhill said:

BTW already called my  bank and they told me I had to take it up with Bancomer. 

I am not doubting you but that just does not sound right.  Is it a USA or Canadian bank?  The same happened to me and my USA bank put the money back in my account and resolved it with the Mexican bank.  Can’t remember which one it was now.

I suggest calling your bank again and speaking to someone different.  Bancomer  will not help you.  In these circumstances, you call your bank, they initiate an investigation which can take up to 60 days but usually your money will be returned to your account before that.  I’ve had it back as quickly as 5 days before although one time it did take almost 6 weeks.  

3 hours ago, moonhill said:

BTW already called my  bank and they told me I had to take it up with Bancomer. 

That isn't normal. It is your bank that has to do the checking. I had the same problem at a Bancomer bank ATM in Ajijic. Bancomer said they said that it had nothing to do with them and that I had to contact my bank up north. My bank sorted it out. 

4 hours ago, 757 said:

Years ago I had an Officer at Bancomer tell me to use my Credit Card whenever I could since it is insured. ATM cards are a crap shoot when there is a problem.

How do you withdraw money from a checking account using a credit card?  Using a credit card at an ATM will cost a cash advance fee and interest from day one.

42 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

How do you withdraw money from a checking account using a credit card?  Using a credit card at an ATM will cost a cash advance fee and interest from day one.

29 minutes ago, 757 said:

The amount of the ATM fees are more then offset by the cash rewards earned by the credit card. This is especially true when using ATM while traveling in other countries.

Using cc for purchases is fine assuming no international fees. BUT, using cc's at ATM for cash advance....worst deal ever.  They nick you for interest charges starting that minute (no 30+ day float you get on purchases).  

45 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Right.

2 hours ago, 757 said:

The amount of the ATM fees are more then offset by the cash rewards earned by the credit card. This is especially true when using ATM while traveling in other countries.

Doesn't compute. Withdraw say $500us. Pay cash advance fee usually 2% or more ...then interest at cash advance rate maybe 18-20% apr.   So $10 fee plus say 30 days interest $8 so your ccard at the ATM cost $18 more than your debit card.  Oh rewards? Sorry those are are only on qualifying purchases not on cash advances.  The country doesn't matter.

Edited by Mostlylost
  • Like 2

Cash advance fee would still apply. Interest would start at time of withdrawal. If your balance was negative probably no interest. Ccards are designed for purchases where the merchant pays fees.  Also the normal ccard protections regarding purchases would not exist because it is an advance of cash not a merchant charge that can be stopped by the bank..basically same protection as a debit card. There is no gain only cost to use ccard at atm. 

Why not just use the debit card. That is why debit cards were invented. 

Makes no sense to take money from your checking/debit account to pay a credit card in advance...  then pay an extra fee to use the credit card to withdraw cash.  Absolutely no benefit and extra cost.  As Mr.Spock wold say "Not logical"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I don't use stand-alone ATM's, only those at the bank.

It doesn't matter where they are if they are in a bank or a Supermarket-the same rules apply.