Chapala.com Webboard

phone number for sale

37 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

You n=might be a bit late. As houses are converted to fibre optic there are regular phone lines becoming available 

I've heard that the phone service with the fiber optics companies are almost useless, at least one friend with Ilox has told me that anyway

People are reporting that as Telmex changes to fiber optic on their street and puts a fiber optic modem in the house then they eliminate the copper wire phone connection. Your phone will plug into the modem because there is no longer a DSL line into the house.

ILOX internet phone service is a problem, not the fact it is transmitted over a fiber optic network.

This is a stupid and wasteful concept. Even AT&T in the US is trying it. (If you refuse to let them in to change your service over, they can simply disable your landline.) There are millions of miles of installed cable around the world that rarely fail... whereas Internet service is failure-prone. Another example of tech companies outsmarting themselves and eroding our well-being, bit by bit. Since the infrastructure is already in place, and supports both types of service, and will always be upgraded and maintained, what's the point? Customer complaints will skyrocket, requiring more support staff and adding immensely to the bottom line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

This is a stupid and wasteful concept. Even AT&T in the US is trying it. (If you refuse to let them in to change your service over, they can simply disable your landline.) There are millions of miles of installed cable around the world that rarely fail... whereas Internet service is failure-prone. Another example of tech companies outsmarting themselves and eroding our well-being, bit by bit. Since the infrastructure is already in place, and supports both types of service, and will always be upgraded and maintained, what's the point? Customer complaints will skyrocket, requiring more support staff and adding immensely to the bottom line.

In Canada Rogers and many other internet providers have been using internet based home phone service for many years with no problems, other than if your internet goes down.. if it does go down it’s usually back up in a minute or so..    I have had Rogers home phone service in my house for about 6 years now with no issues...Many of my neighbors use Rogers or other providers and don’t seem to have any problems... 

11 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

In Canada Rogers and many other internet providers have been using internet based home phone service for many years with no problems, other than if your internet goes down.. if it does go down it’s usually back up in a minute or so..    I have had Rogers home phone service in my house for about 6 years now with no issues...Many of my neighbors use Rogers or other providers and don’t seem to have any problems... 

There's a big difference between the way things work and response times to issues in Canada than how it is in Mexico. In Canada, if the electricity goes out for more than some brief amount of time, the electric company has to rebate customers for the outage time. Never heard of CFE doing that 🙂

• Thanks 1

In Mexico, I love the fact that I STILL have a way to communicate when the electricity is out using an old fashioned !diot phone plugged into the phone outlet in the wall. Yes, I have a cell phone but I need electricity to charge it.... same with back up chargers. The outages are fewer but my comfort level is still not a hundred per cent.

• Thanks 1

The fact that many of us now even have backup chargers for all our gadgets points out how far away this whole technological mess has gotten from us. "They" keep building "better and better" things for which we have little or no capacity. And mudgirl and Ferret both make telling points. NOB, outages get fixed as fast as they can. I remember one ice storm a couple of decades ago that even had Canadian military being sent to New York State to get their power grid up and running again. Sunday night? No problem. Here? Well, let's head over to that local restaurant in the morning and see if we can cajole a TelMex lad to get a repair going.

The downtime with a landline, even here, is far less problematic than downtime with the Internet, and since the system is already in place, I don't understand the need to replace it.

• Like 2