Chapala.com Webboard

FAST Internet

Alpha1

Lack of infrastructure here locally and few relative paying clients.  I have same 100mps fibr optic in Guadalajara at home and office but here in Chapala I struggle with mediocrity and 15mps is fast.  

And I thought my 15.6 Mb/sec down was good :) .  I have the fastest service offered to my neighborhood by Telmex. And the closest customer with ILOX is only 3/4 of a block away. So I could probably get ILOX if things get bad.

Things are changing for the good, lakeside.

This is 200 Mbit service from Telmex across the street from their office. I also have 350 Mbit service from ILOX that is now being used as backup. They do have some issues from time to time but the main problem is port blocking and ILOX will do nothing about that it seems. After the installation i upgraded to their 200 Mbit service online and see speeds of 230-250 Mbit all day long.

Go into their office and try and get a timeline on things.

telmex.JPG

Not trying to be a wise *ss

I'm just curious from a technical standpoint.

I can watch streaming on 2 different tv's and download a book all at the same time with under 20 down.

To my knowledge most home computer's processors and web browsers wouldn't be any better with 230 than with 20 for 99% of their use.

What benefit is all that extra speed? Are people doing graphics rendering or running servers?

• Like 2

I am not the average user, so I cannot speak to that. However, when multiple users in the same location are online, using tablets, phones, computers, Smart Tvs and streaming devices, each is a draw, so the more bandwidth you can get, the better.

The population here is not average, either. Many retired seniors; far fewer younger people, but many of them actually working online. Thus, conference calls, business and file transfers, remote computing, VPNs for security and out-of-country sites (and VPNs can easily slow down a user by 50%), VOIP phone usage, and so on, all add to the weight.

NOB, growing families with kids and online work would scoff at a 20 Mbps max. And these people are average users.

Then there's me. I design books and covers, large graphics, and I do photo manipulation and send these files back and forth all the time. I'm forever downloading software to test for clients, and huge printer driver files and the like. I also download all my TV shows, usually multiple shows at a time. And 40 barely cuts it. But having been here with dialup, I cannot complain.

6 hours ago, johanson said:

And I thought my 15.6 Mb/sec down was good :) .  I have the fastest service offered to my neighborhood by Telmex. And the closest customer with ILOX is only 3/4 of a block away. So I could probably get ILOX if things get bad.

Things are changing for the good, lakeside.

I would be very happy with 15.6 Mbps. Near Jocotepec I have 1.9 down and about .2 up. 

Right now, I'm on a short visit to Seattle, and staying in my very small condo. Guess the speeds available in my building. I am only getting about 75 Mb/sec down which is more than enough. But should I want more, I can get 1,000 Mb/sec down for $45.88 US per month. Oh, 1,000 megabits = 1 gigabit

The world is changing and I can't keep up :)  And I don't really care.