Chapala.com Webboard

robo calls

Mikki

On 2/4/2020 at 5:04 PM, Mikki said:

How do I stop robo calls?  They are calling every 15 minutes.  I found a post by Spencer from a few years ago, I tried what he recomended but that did not work!  There is most likely a new number to call!

Mikki

I use the app "Should I Answer?" on my cell. It doesn't stop them, but you get fewer and the numbers you have blocked are automatically disconnected.I don't answer any calls that aren't from contacts. Too risky IMO.

You might see a sudden improvement. The U.S. goverment has launched a very aggressive programme to shut down these callers. They are typically based outside the U.S. but hire massive server time from U.S. carriers. These are what they are targetting, massive fines and even jail time for repeat offenders.

18 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

You might see a sudden improvement. The U.S. goverment has launched a very aggressive programme to shut down these callers. They are typically based outside the U.S. but hire massive server time from U.S. carriers. These are what they are targetting, massive fines and even jail time for repeat offenders.

Are you thinking the Mexican govt will follow right away?

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Are you thinking the Mexican govt will follow right away?

No, I am thinking most of these calls are routed through U.S. telephony servers. I am thinking Mexicans are too smart to buy stupid things over the phone from a stranger. Plus, the calls would have be in Spanish to have any effect.

5 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I don't receive robo calls from the USA. I only receive them from Mexico and they are in Spanish. So US legislation will have no effect on robo calls in Mexico.

Exactly, why would anyone receive calls of any fashion through the US to a Mexican number.  The ones I have received are usually, but not always, CDMX, and always with MEXICAN Spanish speakers.

I guess I am just lucky. I almost never get robo calls on my Mexican Telmex number which I have had since 1997 nor my Telcel # which I have had for maybe 15 years.

In Seattle, I get about 2 or 3 per week on my landline # which I have had since 2006 and none on my Seattle Ooma (internet) phone which I take with me when I am in Mexico.

No, I have not taken any special action to stop robo calls. For some reason, I almost never get them.