Chapala.com Webboard

Lunch at La Nueva Posada

gringal

I stayed in the NP for a few days in December. I found they have some very tasty dishes. I heard they had a new cook. 

They monitor their customer comments quite closely.

9 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

As one of the loveliest places in town to dine, inside or out, I'm disappointed they no longer do dinner and the food quality has not been up to the surroundings.  This place could be one of the most desirable in town.  Why isn't it?

I had dinner there a number of times in December. Have they stopped doing that? I think they close about 6:30 which is long past dinner time for me.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

As one of the loveliest places in town to dine, inside or out, I'm disappointed they no longer do dinner and the food quality has not been up to the surroundings.  This place could be one of the most desirable in town.  Why isn't it?

I agree that the ambiance is one of the best in town but for whatever reason Michael has decided to treat the restaurant as a secondary service

The change last year to earlier hours was intended to be a reflection of the down season, but that can certainly no longer be the case. You know, nothing has been the same in the restaurant since the long-time chef, Lorrain Russo, left some years back. But it may also be an indication of an over-saturated market, and difficulty keeping staff at reasonable (for here) wages.

It's simply no longer a restaurant worth visiting.  The lovely location and premises, if managed hands-on by a manager who cared along with with trained staff who actually had any concern about how they treated the clientele could have made the N.P. a premier Lakeside destination.  It was once but isn't any longer and it is not worth wasting a visit.  Simply curtailing your hours isn't the way to "grow a business" ....just the opposite is usually the result.  Actually, the Old Posada is now a far superior restaurant.  

Whatever your business......when you lose interest.........move on and give the depleted clientele that remain a break!

The owners of NP say they there are too many  restaurants (up to 90) Lakeside competing and that it more profitable to rent apartments/rooms.

The Eagers are a great family, made their mark early and had quite an impact locally. One of the attractions of the place to people who stay in the hotel, etc. is that there is a restaurant on board. So downgrading the restaurant would only make it less attractive to renters. On the other hand, Mark is pretty heavily into the real-estate side, so there is naturally going to be less interest in the restaurant side. And Judy is getting older and probably weary.

52 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Then close the restaurant and turn it into rental rooms and stop taking people's money for bad food

They are slowly doing that. Where the indoor restaurant is now used to be the almost unused bar. Where the nice restaurant was is now several apartments. Where the kitchen used to be is an apartment now. Where the kitchen is now used to be storage. They are just finishing an apartment now that is where part of the dining room used to be. Across the road, behind Eager Realty, they are building more apartments.   

I had some very good meals there in December. They said they had a new cook. I have never had bad food there and I have eaten there quite a few times over the last 12 years.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 5:31 PM, Carnivore said:

It's simply no longer a restaurant worth visiting.  The lovely location and premises, if managed hands-on by a manager who cared along with with trained staff who actually had any concern about how they treated the clientele could have made the N.P. a premier Lakeside destination.  It was once but isn't any longer and it is not worth wasting a visit.  Simply curtailing your hours isn't the way to "grow a business" ....just the opposite is usually the result.  Actually, the Old Posada is now a far superior restaurant.  

Whatever your business......when you lose interest.........move on and give the depleted clientele that remain a break!

Exactly.

I go to La Nueva Posada for the memories. I first went to it in January of 1996 and loved sitting under the big old tree and eating lunch. Having just come from Canada on an exploratory visit, I thought the weather was balmy. Now, I don't think I could do it. Thereafter, after moving to San Miguel, we stayed there on our way to and from the coast seeking warmth in San Miguel's cool winter months. The Eagers' are a wonderful family who have worked hard and developed the property according to their needs and those of their clients. It is still the best for location and ambience but has changed just like everything else Lakeside. Anyway, there are a plethora of restaurants to soothe your gastronomic needs in the area. I go for the memories, the ambience, the best damn patio lakeside and conversation with friends... that's more than filling enough for me.

• Like 3

Good valid reasons Ferret..We also enjoy N.P. for their outdoor and indoor dining areas, their Chicken fried chicken with veggies in lieu of mashed potatoes is always good and their Azteca soup has always been good...There are many other restaurants that are much worse with the food served and a few that are better, BUT their are none that has N.P's. ambience especially with visitors, friends and family..My only complaint is that the Bar also closes at PM..