Chapala.com Webboard

Rack of Lamb

happyjillin

8 hours ago, More Liana said:

Happy, in common Mexican parlance, a sheep is a borrego and a lamb is a borreguito.  Just as dichosalocura mentioned several hours ago, upthread.  Cordero is used--as she also mentioned--in marketing parlance, to make it sound more elegant--just as it's marketed in big letters on the package you bought.  Look at this link, if you don't believe dichosa or me.  
https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=borrego 

There are other language sites that differ. Another word for  sheep is la oveya apparently, and numerous  translation sites use cordera/o or borrego. I would not agree that Cordera/o is a mere marketing term here in Mexico. Soriana ,Walmart,Costco and any butcher I have talked to here use cordero/a. There is a splendid taco stand in the southbound lane near the airport that serves only taco de cordero  to die for. As to the age of alleged young real lamb around here. I would suggest that yearling is the norm for butchering in this area,so hence the toughness. I used to get frozen loin chops from a well known butcher until twice they were tough so no mas. Surprisingly his shank is/was not. As I mentioned. I purchased half domestic lambs in alberta and from time to time portion cut Canadian and New Zealand lamb from Safeway and Superstore and none of it was tough.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Jillin....actually the correct name for the cut of lamb / goat shown in your most recent photos is the  “ saddle “.....it becomes the loin or rack when it has been split , cleaned and the chine / spine bones removed ...probably  along with the 7 / 8 prime rib of beef roast the most classic of the meat cuts .

Uh! no. this diagram of a sheep tells correctly what the cuts are called pretty much worldwide and in all languages. By the way,when it comes to lamb,the French cut rack as in the OP trumps the loin as the most desirable [classic] of lamb cuts.

lamb-cuts-of-lamb.jpg

58 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

There are other language sites that differ. Another word for  sheep is la oveya apparently, and numerous  translation sites use cordera/o or borrego. I would not agree that Cordera/o is a mere marketing term here in Mexico. Soriana ,Walmart,Costco and any butcher I have talked to here use cordero/a. There is a splendid taco stand in the southbound lane near the airport that serves only taco de cordero  to die for. As to the age of alleged young real lamb around here. I would suggest that yearling is the norm for butchering in this area,so hence the toughness. I used to get frozen loin chops from a well known butcher until twice they were tough so no mas. Surprisingly his shank is/was not. As I mentioned. I purchased half domestic lambs in alberta and from time to time portion cut Canadian and New Zealand lamb from Safeway and Superstore and none of it was tough.

The ewe is the oveja.  If you're the black sheep of the family, you're the oveja negra--whether you're a man or a woman, there is no masculine form of oveja.

There's also no feminine form of cordero.  Cordera does not exist.

My mum was not a great cook but she would take a frozen leg of New Zealand lamb, cover it with foil and cook it in the (electric) oven at 250 F. for six hours. She put it in the oven frozen solid. It was always fall off the bone tender when served. I loved Sundays.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ferret said:

My mum was not a great cook but she would take a frozen leg of New Zealand lamb, cover it with foil and cook it in the (electric) oven at 250 F. for six hours. She put it in the oven frozen solid. It was always fall off the bone tender when served. I loved Sundays.

That's another good way of doing it. Lucky you

25 minutes ago, More Liana said:

The ewe is the oveja.  If you're the black sheep of the family, you're the oveja negra--whether you're a man or a woman, there is no masculine form of oveja.

There's also no feminine form of cordero.  Cordera does not exist.

I'm really only interested in getting proper young cordero. Cordera being used by everybody and their dog around here to refer to lamb, unfortunately some of the alleged young lamb are yearlings.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Arguing with a chef, in public, about cuts of meat. Wonders never cease.

I worked at Swift Canadian for 2 1/2 years which gives me factual knowledge in spades. My wife jokes about how much time I spend at the meat counters when we go shopping. The diagram of sheep cuts was not produced by me and as I said is recognized world wide. Keep wondering. Nothing is labeled as a saddle and the loin is a separate cut from the rack.

lamb-cuts-of-lamb.jpg

Your wife should be laughing at the fact that you seem to have never been able to hold down a good job, and you have blasted through 2 marriages, with children. You bring this mess to Mexico, and try to reinvent yourself again. A more appropriate handle for you would be DickZilla.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Your wife should be laughing at the fact that you seem to have never been able to hold down a good job, and you have blasted through 2 marriages, with children. You bring this mess to Mexico, and try to reinvent yourself again. A more appropriate handle for you would be DickZilla.

This is a total personal attack with no truth to it whatsoever.

But have a pleasant afternoon.

happyjillin

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Wowza !  Why the  Personal attack ?  This thread really got out of hand . And it all started out about a rack of lamb .  

• Thanks 2

WIKIPEDIA..... A saddle of lamb is both sides of the lamb loin in the lumbar region with backbones still attached ( old English sadul ) Even Mrs Beaton agrees...look it up ..it’s on the next page to your  “ wee haggis recipe “ It has been common on English menus for a century or two .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Justathought said:

Wowza !  Why the  Personal attack ?  This thread really got out of hand . And it all started out about a rack of lamb .  

Some people just can´t help themselves. always looking for another thread to be disgusting in.... and,in this case, a " little lambsydivy" thread, no less. :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

WIKIPEDIA..... A saddle of lamb is both sides of the lamb loin in the lumbar region with backbones still attached ( old English sadul ) Even Mrs Beaton agrees...look it up ..it’s on the next page to your  “ wee haggis recipe “ It has been common on English menus for a century or two .

And I suggest that you look at the nomenclature  on that modern diagram again so that you don't make the same mistake once more.

Sooo.....jillin you want to contradict - Wikipedia , Thesaurus .com and The Chefs compendium of professional recipes ,not to mention good old Mrs Beaton  ..why does it not surprise me. .?  .I could go on but nobody really gives a shit . Believe it or not you do not have the definitive opinions on everything , especially food .

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Sooo.....jillin you want to contradict - Wikipedia , Thesaurus .com and The Chefs compendium of professional recipes ,not to mention good old Mrs Beaton  ..why does it not surprise me. .?  .I could go on but nobody really gives a shit . Believe it or not you do not have the definitive opinions on everything , especially food .

Have you ever heard that a picture is worth 1000 words😴😴

9 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Apparently not to some people, cause I just counted and I think you've used a lot more words... so you're not paying attention to your own edicts.

Perhaps you should pay more attention. Mr. Greenwood, the alleged chef,  has disputed  a foto of the portion cuts of lamb with words. There are many diagrams from many sources showing that his words are not correct as it refers to the fotos of  lamb and goat LOIN that I posted. None of these commonly used posters describing lamb cuts refer to the loin portion as the saddle. Here is another from the American Lamb Board,his former country. In any event, I made the OP to let everyone know that likes rack of lamb that Soriana sells  the real thing and not yearling. It's nice to see that some have appreciated the info. Since I joined in April  I have won 25 days and tied several more times,so apparently my words are appreciated as well as my fotos.

lambpicfoto.jpg

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Since I joined in April  I have won 25 days and tied several more times,so apparently my words are appreciated as well as my fotos.

Really. Who gives a ****. Self-aggrandizing little *****.

• Haha 2

Ah! Video. Here is a very educational one of a butcher doing a whole lamb and naming the various parts with no mention of saddles just like in the previous fotos I posted. What's interesting about this video is the size of the lamb. A bit younger than usual but the racks at Soriana are just slightly bigger. If the vendors around here are selling you larger bits, it's yearling and won't be nearly as tender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T45aVFGMrMg