Chapala.com Webboard

JOCOTEPEC-CHAPALA HIGHWAY CONSTRUCTION

Just now, phil in mexico said:

this is venting but this project is insane,with sooo many other needs of infrastructure many roads are hardly passable , open grates in roads and side walks, missing signs and traffic lights not repaired for weeks at a time and this project will have plants needing maintenance they  will soon be weeds . And the traffic mess and much less parking. I have been watching the construction in Chapala and the thickness of the bicycle path will not last a year.  I have vented  now and and do I feel better,not much. This is one of the most wasteful project I've seen in Mexico!

But maybe part of bigger plan the God has in mind for Lakeside...or not

1 hour ago, phil in mexico said:

this is venting but this project is insane,with sooo many other needs of infrastructure many roads are hardly passable , open grates in roads and side walks, missing signs and traffic lights not repaired for weeks at a time and this project will have plants needing maintenance they  will soon be weeds . And the traffic mess and much less parking. I have been watching the construction in Chapala and the thickness of the bicycle path will not last a year.  I have vented  now and and do I feel better,not much. This is one of the most wasteful project I've seen in Mexico!

It is obvious you haven't traveled much in Mexico.  One thing to remember about government spending here; it is easier to get kickbacks from a new project than from a repair budget.

• Like 2

Yes I've travel to many areas in mexico, I would say with so many other needs for our area that this project  could have been far less costly and without hindering traffic in areas that are already screwed up and I'm well aware of the political pockets that could be enhanced  by

this $%&/()ic over the top project! Obviously not!

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

There needs to be a middle ground.  This is a really out of control situation exacerbated by  the local "pay for play."   You know things are out of hand when they start sticking an OXXO in the heart of the old village on Colon.  Actually the first real warning sign was that illegal high rise on the lake in La Floresta which was only shut down after the state court threatened the local pols with jail if they continued to ignore the court's orders.  You may notice that similar high density nightmare proposals for Chapala itself seem to quietly fade away.  Trust me, you'll never see a towering eyesore approved for the Chapala waterfront.

My comment had nothing to do with growth being out of control,  government corruption, OXXO on Colon, illegal high rises, high density proposals, or poor Ajijic as stepchild. I was addressing a comment about “too much change and it’s not what WE came here for.” I agree with most of your examples of the things being out of control. I don't care about Oxxo on Colon. We have three on Modero. I have one three doors from my house opening soon. And, you know I don’t sympathize with your Ajijic as victim mentality. Other than that we are on the same page.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xena said:

My comment had nothing to do with growth being out of control,  government corruption, OXXO on Colon, illegal high rises, high density proposals, or poor Ajijic as stepchild. I was addressing a comment about “too much change and it’s not what WE came here for.” I agree with most of your examples of the things being out of control. I don't care about Oxxo on Colon. We have three on Modero. I have one three doors from my house opening soon. And, you know I don’t sympathize with your Ajijic as victim mentality. Other than that we are on the same page.

I have run out of the thingy's again so I agree except for the part on the same page.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

Yes I've travel to many areas in mexico, I would say with so many other needs for our area that this project  could have been far less costly and without hindering traffic in areas that are already screwed up and I'm well aware of the political pockets that could be enhanced  by

this $%&/()ic over the top project! Obviously not!

I would speculate that you have been to many more places in Mexico than mostlylost has.

25 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

I have run out of the thingy's again so I agree except for the part on the same page.

Thanks. I still have thingies for today but do run out of them too. To clarify: I meant on the same page regarding the other items mentioned in that post. I know that generally I am on vastly different pages from MC. 

2 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Thanks for being a TSLA cheerleader. (stock has gone from around US$ 250.00 to US$ 650.00 in the space of about 4 months). 

Check out Rolls Royce too. They are going into the mini nuclear reactor business. Russia has announced a new mini reactor that does not use uranium.

19 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Maybe the age of the motorist burning irreplaceable dinosaur blood, while poisoning the planet, is coming to its logical end. Driverless, electric shuttles will be here in less than ten years. Fuel burners will be luxury taxed to extinction.

What are your preferred alternative vehicle fuels? Nuclear, natural gas, coal are all available. Though Mexico has more coal than natural gas. They built a terminal for LNG at the coast south of Manzanillo to fire that dirty electric generation plant but that has been many years in coming and still not finished. So your Tesla will be coal fired. Wind power is too intermittent and the grid won't handle lots of intermittent power like wind and solar. No doubt humans will adapt as they have for 10,000 years to the new challenges. But the bike lane is truly a poor decision as it will never carry it's fair share of traffic.

Battery technology has come a long way. Its amazing how you can now store electrical energy. Many electrical utilities are now using battery storage as opposed to having to build peaker plants.. So give it time. I would call the current period a "Transition Period".  Luckily there is still people with a vision.

There is an explosion of electric assisted bicycles and kits to add electric assist to existing bicycles all over the world. I plan to add an electric motor to my bike as well and then will be more likely to opt for two wheels over the car, but it does come with down sides.( limited cargo capacity, having to deal with dust and pollutants ( high here), solar exposure (high here). 

They obviously weren't thinking when they widened the bike path, completely unnecessary.

Where were all of you when this was voted on for Ajijic only? The state was not involved.  About 2 12 or 3 years ago the last mayor called for a vote to approve or veto a bike lane through Ajijic.   It was held on a Sunday morning on the Colon side of the plaza.  Over 100 young men were brought there and signed in to vote.  Only about 6 of us were older adults.  The young men were PRI voters who owed allegiance to the then mayor.

I voted.  How did I and the other 5 non PRI voters know about the vote?  We saw it in the Guadalajara Reporter and felt it important enough to get up early and go to vote.

Too bad you all didn't do the same. 

2 hours ago, geeser said:

What are your preferred alternative vehicle fuels? 

Personally? I would prefer used vegetable oil. I have always had a vehicle capable of this switch. Probably next year.

Mexico already has two nuclear power plants, which are really nothing more than self contained steam engines. The mini reactors can provide clean, safe energy for cruiseships. Before you bring up Chernobyl, Fujimoto, Three Mile Island, terrorists do some research, these technologies have fundamentally changed.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Personally? I would prefer used vegetable oil. I have always had a vehicle capable of this switch. Probably next year.

I remember when used vegetable oil was the "thing" a while back. Then as demand for it increased, the supply quickly shrank to where it became a valuable commodity , eliminating it as a  "free" fuel. ( unless you got lucky to be one of the first in your neighborhood) 

Even still, its a messy labor intensive fuel source.

Batteries are the future, and Mexico has one of the largest mineable Lithium land patches in the world. 

Batteries are only as useful as the source to charge them.  They carry quite an environmental cost all of their own.  However we are lucky to live in a place where solar that can be used to recharge them is so productive and cost effective but much of the world does not.  

No technology is free.  All carry an environmental burden associated with their production and shipment.  The basic problem here is too many people combined with the success of technology in expanding the access to environmentally damaging things like cars.  I believe that will be the undoing, the collateral environmental damage and pollution caused by too many people living at the high standard of living formerly mostly enjoyed by the U.S., Canada and Europe.  The absolute explosion of pollution and environmental damage in China is a good example of this.  India is another.

When I was in high school a favorite example was to take a beaker full of clean nutrient and put a few bacteria in it.  They multiplied explosively and in a very short time all ended up dead from the wastes they expelled into the beaker.  That's us now, starting to reach the point where the wastes are killing us and other species.

Maybe 2 billion people at most could live at the western standard of living without destroying the environment, and even that would require some pretty serious attention paid to minimizing wastes, treating what is left and recycling.  No way in heck the 8-9 billion projected in a relatively short time.

I believe that will do us in far sooner than any allegedly unusual climate change.

Many years ago I came across a cartoon which was basically a painting of the earth which you could not see because it was covered with people. At the top of the globe you could see the pope with his hands raised with the caption "go forth and multiply" and this goes back to maybe the seventies...