Chapala.com Webboard

JOCOTEPEC-CHAPALA HIGHWAY CONSTRUCTION

I'm not sure what there is to know. Preparing road for new surface just like that already done from there to Joco.
Mexico has never put pedestrian safety very high on the list. IMO it is safer than driving Chapala to Ajijic.

• Like 2

I've been back and forth Chapala to Jocotepec a number of times lately. For me the worse part by far was just west of downtown Chapala on Hidalgo by the Farmacia Guadalajara and Delicias restaurant. The road is almost impassable in places-narrow in places but worst of all rocks on the road. Many of the businesses on the north side of the carretera are cut off from customers.This will probably go on for months. Second worst is the carretera between  San Juan Cosala and Jocotepec where they are resurfacing it. Very rough, confusing traffic flow and dusty. This should be completed in a few weeks. Third has to be the carretera in Ajijic-too narrow and a lot of traffic-this might be months before it is finished.

It is nice to see them improving the roads but the widened bike path in La Floresta and Chapala might turn out to haunt this administration. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Apachewoman said:

Would appreciate any information about this new and challenging construction.  San Juan Cosala

village road is now under reconstruction. Problematic driving conditions as well as dangers to

pedestrians.  ANY information about this project...greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You make sound all very dramatic..driving in Mexico, avoiding the ever recurring pot holes is for me a drama, or going through a burnt out red signal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

You make sound all very dramatic..driving in Mexico, avoiding the ever recurring pot holes is for me a drama, or going through a burnt out red signal

For us that have been down here a number of years, it is not so much drama but a slight creeping headache, but most do slowly learn to accept it and adapt.  But the bad news is, is that by the time they do finish resurfacing it from Joco to Chapala, for much of it, it will be time to do it all over again, that is if we live to see it.

• Haha 1

Yes, it was resurfaced a few years but it appears to have been poorly done as it didn't last long. This time it appears to be more substantially done.

I had to drive to Chapala yesterday. OMG. To me a nightmare. I had rather chew on tin foil than live in Ajijic or Chapala. The traffic, construction, no parking, and just looking at all the new construction it is not the same I enjoyed 20 years ago. I guess change is happening and nothing is going to stop it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cedros said:

I've been back and forth Chapala to Jocotepec a number of times lately. For me the worse part by far was just west of Chapala on Hidalgo by the Farmacia Guadalajara and Delicias restaurant. The road is almost impassable in places-narrow in places but worst of all rocks on the road. Many of the businesses on the north side of the carretera are cut off from customers.This will probably go on for months.

You are not new here so I am surprised that you would suggest that that restaurant and farmacia are west of Chapala. That part of Hidalgo is well into the town of Chapala in the barrio of Lourdes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vetteforron said:

I had to drive to Chapala yesterday. OMG. To me a nightmare. I had rather chew on tin foil than live in Ajijic or Chapala. The traffic, construction, no parking, and just looking at all the new construction it is not the same I enjoyed 20 years ago. I guess change is happening and nothing is going to stop it. 

Yes, and it will come to Jocotopec too. It will just take a little longer. I move to a place I love. Then it changes and grows until it no longer is a place I want to be. So, I move on to another place. But, I am now 12 years older than I was when I came here. I’m tired and can’t bear the thought of doing all that again. I am attempting to adjust expectations and go with the flow.  I have to die someplace. It might as well be here, I guess. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Floradude said:

Perhaps a little too critical  happyjillin.  I have lived here 17 years and I totally agree with what Cedros wrote and it perfectly describes that stretch of highway.  

So you are both wrong and calling this stretch of Hidalgo a highway when in reality it is a the western portion of the main east/west street in Chapala within its boundaries in the barrio of Lourdes is equally misleading. I have lived in mi casa half way between the restaurant and farmacia for 13 years. Actually neither was here in the first few years that we were here. You can easily confirm this for yourself by looking at any number of maps of the area or talk to anyone else who actually lives in barrio Lourdes.🤣😴

7 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

By law there has to be 20 meters from the middle of the road to any house/building on either side. Most of the buildings are too close so maybe they will enforce and make people tear down houses and businesses????

Taaffe "By law" in Mexico is irrelevant.There are dozens of facilitators masking a good living circumventing "issues"

The only thing I believe that most of us have heard is that there is a State project underway where they are to build and new cycle path, plus resurface the entire highway between Chapala and Jocotepec this year.  Have not seen much in Guadalareporter, except an article in last week's edition whereby the main reporter spoke to someone from the state who happened to be in Chapala, and he told her nothing other than to contact the state road people in Guadalajara.  

19 minutes ago, EldonNova said:

The only thing I believe that most of us have heard is that there is a State project underway where they are to build and new cycle path, plus resurface the entire highway between Chapala and Jocotepec this year.  Have not seen much in Guadalareporter, except an article in last week's edition whereby the main reporter spoke to someone from the state who happened to be in Chapala, and he told her nothing other than to contact the state road people in Guadalajara.  

Some of us are living right in the middle of it and pretty much know what's going on. I spoke to a couple of the project jefe a couple of days ago and they parroted the 3 months to toto listo on the west end of Ajijic. They told me that the entrance to my garages would be ready to use in 3 days-hah!

4 hours ago, Taaffe said:

By law there has to be 20 meters from the middle of the road to any house/building on either side. Most of the buildings are too close so maybe they will enforce and make people tear down houses and businesses????

They talked about that years ago and there was an uproar against it.