Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

"The single biggest threat to man's continued dominance of the planet is the virus."

Joshua Lederberg, Ph D, Nobel Laureate

 

Joshua Lederberg, (May 23, 1925 – February 2, 2008)[2] was an American molecular biologist known for his work in microbial genetics, artificial intelligence, and the United States space program. He was 33 years old when he won the 1958 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for discovering that bacteria can mate and exchange genes (bacterial conjugation).[3] He shared the prize with Edward Tatum and George Beadle, who won for their work with genetics

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MarkWebles said:

I recall hearing that The Rolling Stones were the greatest threat to the planet. Who to trust?

I know. The Rolling Stones, same sex marriage, abortion, uppity women,  pagans. So hard to know what is the greatest threat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

“We have met the enemy and he is us” - Pogo

We are our worst enemy. We destroy the environment and fight against each other. Anti-vaxxers compete with our scientific leaders in our battles against diseases.  We sow racial hatred even when knowing we are all the same species.  Religious leaders try to show us a better way but in the end they are lured by politicians, power, and riches.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Well I believe AIDS is a virus and correct me if I am wrong but to date there is no cure for it and it killed more then a couple of people and its been around for a long time.

And, still,  here we all are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This outbreak reminds me of the famous swine flue about 11 years ago. They were handing out masks in the airports here in Mexico when people deplaned.  CNN had the western world all dying from it. Meanwhile 20,000 people died in th US from the regular flu. Only 11,000 in North America died from the world ending pandemic swine flu. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 7:51 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

Interesting too that this is the Year of the Rat and they are know bringers of disease...

A little known fact is that rats age very slowly.  My wife's son graduated from the University of Mexico with a Honorable Mention Masters Degree in Bio-Chemistry.  He studied and experimented why rats do not age.  He received a fellowship to continue his work and get his Doctorate Degree from a University  in Germany.  This summer he has been invited to present his work in Scotland.  So maybe something good will come from rats!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2020 at 3:19 PM, Eric Blair said:

"The single biggest threat to man's continued dominance of the planet is the virus."

Joshua Lederberg, Ph D, Nobel Laureate

 

Joshua Lederberg, (May 23, 1925 – February 2, 2008)[2] was an American molecular biologist known for his work in microbial genetics, artificial intelligence, and the United States space program. He was 33 years old when he won the 1958 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for discovering that bacteria can mate and exchange genes (bacterial conjugation).[3] He shared the prize with Edward Tatum and George Beadle, who won for their work with genetics

After all what difference does it make? All life on earth will end in not more than 12 years. This will be the first and only time that homo sapiens has failed to adapt to new changing conditions. It will also be the last.

Of course in the next 20 years more people will die from a solar minimum than from global warming.That is shown by the starvation and deaths from the Maunder Solar Minimum that ended in 1775. But virus do not do well in these cold temperatures. read more

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, geeser said:

CBN is, according to mediabiasfactcheck.com, in the category of CONSPIRACY-PSEUDOSCIENCE. "Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence." You might want to try for a source with a little more credibility.

 

ETA: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/christian-broadcasting-network-cbn/

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MarkWebles said:

CBN is, according to mediabiasfactcheck.com, in the category of CONSPIRACY-PSEUDOSCIENCE. "Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence." You might want to try for a source with a little more credibility.

 

ETA: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/christian-broadcasting-network-cbn/

Gee Markus, does this NASA official do it for you?

NASA

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, geeser said:

Gee Markus, does this NASA official do it for you?

NASA

My post did not address any point made in the article your originally post on solar minimums. If you re-read both you'll detect a slant contained in the former that doesn't exist in the latter. My point stands. And the planet continues to get warmer regardless of the number of snowballs you might feel inclined to grace the Senate with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...