Chapala.com Webboard

Hiatal Hernia surgery?

kimanjome

Has anyone had this done, whether in Mexico or US? I know I've had one since my twenties, but I could always position it back into place. Lately, though, I've been having h. pylori symptoms, and through a recent endoscopy discovered that the hiatal hernai has become problematic. 

I do have US health insurance and I've read that it's better, in the US, to go to a medical center that specializes in gastro surgery, like hiatal hernias, as I want a surgeon who does these things day in and day out. However, it's more convenient for me to have it done in Mexico. 

Any thoughts on this?

22 minutes ago, kimanjome said:

Has anyone had this done, whether in Mexico or US? I know I've had one since my twenties, but I could always position it back into place. Lately, though, I've been having h. pylori symptoms, and through a recent endoscopy discovered that the hiatal hernai has become problematic. 

I do have US health insurance and I've read that it's better, in the US, to go to a medical center that specializes in gastro surgery, like hiatal hernias, as I want a surgeon who does these things day in and day out. However, it's more convenient for me to have it done in Mexico. 

Any thoughts on this?

La Cocina is about food. You have posted in the wrong forum. Look before you leap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kimanjome said:

Any thoughts on this?

I had the surgery done last year and highly recommend Dr. Hector Valenzuela of Quality Care Clinic. He is skilled, thorough, and extremely patient from consultation through surgery and follow up care. The procedure involved a one night hospital stay. Complete recovery took a couple of weeks. Of course, Dr Valenzuela will help you determine if surgery really is the best option or if there is a more suitable solution. Good luck. 

• Like 3

I have had two hernia repairs done by Dr. Armando Joya in PV. Neither one was hiatal but he specializes in bariatric surgery and so hernias are like kindergarten work for him. I had one done in GDL which only lasted 1+ years and if I ever need another one I will definitely fly back to PV to have him do it. Went home in a taxi a few hours after surgery, returned next day in a taxi for wound cleaning and felt strong enough to walk the mile and a half home. The guy knows what he is doing and especially during high season is quite busy. 

I have a hiatal (spelling?) hernia now for maybe 20 years. Yes I have to sleep on a bed that is slightly sloped downward where my head is perhaps 8 inches higher than my feet, but so far, no problem. Yes I take a pill to stop making acid in my stomach, and without the Omeprazole antacid pill I had problems.

But now everything is great. So I am guessing that there are different types of hiatal hernias. Yes, you are right, I aint no Doctor :)