Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
Sign in to follow this  
traderspoc

Woodworking tool a used biscuit joiner needed for Have Hammer Will travel A.C. woodworking school. Students just broke 3 of them

Recommended Posts

Need 3 used  biscuit joiners for Have Hammer Will Travel A.C. woodworking school.

if have a biscuit plate joiner, that you are not using, please donate and drop it off at school in Riberas, if you have a very high end one

can possible work out tax deduction for you.  the students just had a big project and broke all three of them,

 

if you know how to fix them please stop by.

next to s&s auto mountain side, 500ft before 7-11 see Lalo

 

or wayne for donation

hhwt biscuit joiner.PNG

belt sander 1 (9-6-2019 2-53 PM).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are traveling form USA or Canada and you have biscuit plate joiner or palm sander please bring it down.

 

we can work out something maybe out, if you need something we can make for you out of wood.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be more to the point if you made the students who broke it pay for it. Perhaps then they would understand the value of the machinery involved and take better care when using it.  One breaking should have been a red flag... three?

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very few people here know enough about woodworking, teaching it, and the issues these students face to pass judgement and offer their advice on what the people volunteering time and talent “should” be doing. That won’t stop some of them from serving it up, of course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ferret said:

It would be more to the point if you made the students who broke it pay for it. Perhaps then they would understand the value of the machinery involved and take better care when using it.  One breaking should have been a red flag... three?

These students have no money  and they are there to learn a trade and become useful citizens with a skilled trade. The volunteers can't watch them every minute. I am a maestro,you are not. I don't blame anyone there. I have broken my tools from time to time. This is not NOB where students do have money. Your comment is unwarranted.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fine. I'll amend it because you are absolutely correct about the students not having money. And Jreboll made an excellent point about the maestros being partly to blame. Some of the equipment in there is not only expensive but dangerous as well. The students should be made aware of the cost of the equipment, the dangers of the equipment, how to properly use it, how to protect themselves and to ask immediately for help or guidance when something doesn't go according to plan... like breaking ONE biscuit plate joiner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Fine. I'll amend it because you are absolutely correct about the students not having money. And Jreboll made an excellent point about the maestros being partly to blame. Some of the equipment in there is not only expensive but dangerous as well. The students should be made aware of the cost of the equipment, the dangers of the equipment, how to properly use it, how to protect themselves and to ask immediately for help or guidance when something doesn't go according to plan... like breaking ONE biscuit plate joiner.

I know some of the maestros there and have even donated equipment and fasteners. Of course they are taught dangers and how to properly use equipment and tools.It's probably the most professionally set up wood working shop here and maybe even Guadalajara.  They are good teachers and your comments show a lack of knowledge not only of carpentry but what goes on in that school. Before  you make anymore unwarranted comments,why don't you go have a look and talk to the well experienced maestros and volunteers who in my opinion you owe an apology to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think your usage of the word maestro is very exaggerated in this Mexican context.  Do you still require your acquaintences to address you as Don Pedro? Hilarious! I doubt you even have trade ticket as a cabinet maker or carpenter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there many times over the last few years. I have eyes and ears but not the equipment that they have and I pay for the cutting, drill pressing or use of the router for work that I need done. I'm happy that they're there and applaud their work but THREE? THAT"S my beef and something doesn't add up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I think your usage of the word maestro is very exaggerated in this Mexican context.  Do you still require your acquaintences to address you as Don Pedro? Hilarious! I doubt you even have trade ticket as a cabinet maker or carpenter.

 

And several[quite a bit more than 2] mexicans who have seen my work have called me  "maestro". And no I don't have a "TICKET" . Some of us are self taught but I took grade 8 shop classes and art and shop in high school.   The finished carpentry and cabinet work designed and built by me without TICKETS, so what, the proof is in the pudding. One of the things i taught my children is that if you can read ,you can do anything. Why don't you stick to the OP who requires help for a bunch of deserving kids and do something useful instead of once more lamely trying to discredit me. All it shows is your envy.

 

happyjillin

kitchen 2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the powers that be in charge of this project should direct their efforts into how these students could obtain Trade Qualifications in Mexico. Then they can head out to well paying jobs. Trade Qualification is a relatively new concept in Mexico, but the government has dedicated a lot of pesos and time creating trade schools and non academic college skills. The woodworking jobs around here would be very sparse.

https://www.ivemsa.com/manufacturing-in-mexico/mexican-labor-force/

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Maybe the powers that be in charge of this project should direct their efforts into how these students could obtain Trade Qualifications in Mexico. Then they can head out to well paying jobs. Trade Qualification is a relatively new concept in Mexico, but the government has dedicated a lot of pesos and time creating trade schools and non academic college skills. The woodworking jobs around here would be very sparse.

https://www.ivemsa.com/manufacturing-in-mexico/mexican-labor-force/

Go to the wonderful people at Have Hammers and tell them face to face that they ain't doing things correctly and that you will volunteer your expertise. Some graduates have opened their own business and found employment by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should recognise that Labor laws have now been fundamentally changed. Unions, organisations, communes can now adopt members. This typically means some sort of work to learn programme   - from apprentices to journeyperson for example. This way also ensures a quality "product" to employers, but also reduces the opportunity for union corruption. There will be a lot of wood manufacturers moving to Mexico. I can think of Storkcraft baby cribs for example.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/mexico-s-overhaul-federal-labor-laws-updates-timelines-employers

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...