Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
Taaffe

Building New OXXO in Ajijic

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Only because the burgers suck.

:D 

 

Hey MC...next time you're coming to the Valley hit me up for a place to get a burger that will knock you out! Another board member turned me onto it and all I can say is WOW!

Can't give you the name because it doesn't have one! But I can tell you how to find it. Just order one for the both of you and you'll probably still take a bag away. Just don't tell everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Oxxo is a franchise. The parent company is also the owner of Coca Cola in Mexico. 

Like any franchise the owner can ask for a location. If Oxxo approves I am sure they help with permits etc.  In Chapala there are 2 within 1 block. 

Ajijic ceased being a quaint pueblito about 25 years ago. In Mazamitla which is a Pueblo Magico there is a bank fronting the plaza.

You can complain all you want, but the town is changing. If you want to live in a quaint little town, there hundreds within 1 hour of here. But you will have to live a quaint little town lifestyle

I think the owner of Oxxo is the largest bottler of Coke and not owned by Coke. Still interesting. 

OXXO

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
 
Jump to navigationJump to search
OXXO
OXXO logo
Subsidiary
Industry Convenience stores
Founded 1977; 43 years ago
Headquarters Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico
Number of locations
18,840
Area served
Mexico
Colombia
Chile
Peru
United States
Brazil
Number of employees
129,000+
Parent FEMSA
Website www.oxxo.com

Oxxo (stylized as OXXO) is a Mexican chain of convenience stores, with over 18,000 stores [1] across Latin America. It is the largest chain of convenience stores in Latin America.[2] Its headquarters are in Monterrey, Nuevo León.[3]

It is wholly owned by the beverage company FEMSA (Fomento Económico Mexicano).

OXXO was founded in Monterrey in 1977. In the first stores, the only products sold were beer, snacks and cigars. The success of the stores was such that the project kept growing and OXXO built new locations rapidly, becoming an ubiquitous presence in Mexican cities and towns. 

The first official OXXO store was opened in 1978 in Monterrey. OXXO stores then spread to Chihuahua, Hermosillo and Nuevo Laredo. Throughout the eighties, OXXO gained fame in the cities where it was established. In 1998, the 1000th store was opened. On July 6, 2011, the opening of the 9000th store, in Oaxaca, was announced.[4] With Mexico liberalizing its oil and gas market, OXXO has started to open gas stations as well. The first station opened in San Pedro Garza Garcia. Oxxo Gas aims to rebrand 49 additional stations this year, mostly in Monterrey, that are currently operating under the Pemex name.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can buy bus tickets n Oxxo get airplane tickets pay some of your bills and you cannot in the abarottes, get phone cards etc.. They fell behind and life goes on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we probably use those services a lot more than actually buying stuff there.  But when I'm traveling Mexico on the moto I definitely look to Oxxo for a lot of stuff including sometimes morning coffee.  I like Oxxo I just think this is an inappropriate location. 

That and about 25 pesos will get me a cup of coffee there.  :D 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At my local OXXo my wife just paid money on her Mexican telephone, sent money to daughter in Mexico City and made deposit in her local Chapala Bank.  She than brought home to me a coca cola and hot dog.  I agree this is not an appropriate place for an OXXO but it will do a ton of business.  Wish I owned it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been interesting reading the comments about this new addition to Ajijic,.

The topic of no customer parking has been mention, but,  no one has addressed how are  the  many different product delivery trucks going to deal with Colon's narrow street . As it is you need a shoe-horn to get into a parking space, if you are lucky enough to find one in a radius of several blocks. including down at the malecon on a very busy day.  Stores  on the Carretera have a difficult time  getting things delivered, and   the maneuvering at the OXXO  that has parking there presents a problem  for delivery trucks and customer parking many times.  This should  be interesting.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 3 up and down the avenida in Chapala and the one on Paseo Ramón Corona (malecón) none of them have specialized parking lots, but I guess if need be you can park along the road.  They service mainly pedestrian traffic and are always busy and are 24 hours except for the one next to the Beer Garden which closes at midnight.  Since they have them all over México I am sure some of them are in even more difficult to access streets for delivery and some how they have managed.  When there is a will there is a way, always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jackie said:

It has been interesting reading the comments about this new addition to Ajijic,.

The topic of no customer parking has been mention, but,  no one has addressed how are  the  many different product delivery trucks going to deal with Colon's narrow street . As it is you need a shoe-horn to get into a parking space, if you are lucky enough to find one in a radius of several blocks. including down at the malecon on a very busy day.  Stores  on the Carretera have a difficult time  getting things delivered, and   the maneuvering at the OXXO  that has parking there presents a problem  for delivery trucks and customer parking many times.  This should  be interesting.    

Usually an OXXO is open 24/7. IF they were smart, they would have deliveries in the middle of the night so as to not create a traffic problem. Then again, it would also be nice if Walmart restocked in the middle of the night... but they don't. It will be interesting to see what happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Oxxo to buy a coffee and a snack if I happen to be traveling to Guad. I also pay my 7 CFE bills at Oxxo because its done in one minute. I also use them to pay stuff I order on Mercado Libre. But for everything else I use my local family own and operated store as and it always seems to amaze me that they sell most of the stuff I need (but you need to ask as a lot of the products or not on display but rather in the back room) and at prices lower then the big box stores.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 9:22 AM, Mainecoons said:

A very good example of how the Chapala government approves everything no matter how inappropriate.  That high rise in La Floresta is another example and they were actually threatened with jailing by the state courts because they refused to stop construction on it.  They have also allowed a one hundred percent lot coverage three story "botique" hotel on Constitution which is totally out of character with the neighborhood and in violation of the supposed lot coverage standards.   

Anything goes.  Could you imagine something like this happening in the scenic center of Mazamitla or Tapalpa?

I like OXXO too but this location is totally inappropriate.  There is no parking, do they really think they can support a store like this with a totally walk in trade?

 

 

There is one coming to tapalpa centro but you wont know it until you pass it by. Conforms to the strict regulations with a very small sign. Coppels is there and you wouldn't know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

There is one coming to tapalpa centro but you wont know it until you pass it by. Conforms to the strict regulations with a very small sign. 

There is an Oxxo in the pedestrian/historic area of Oaxaca city; its signage and the usual obnoxious large window ads are severely limited and the store blends into the area. 

But what are the chances that the Chapala gobierno will put similar restrictions on the new Oxxo on Morelos/Colon since it allows any development to go unchecked in Ajijic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

There is one coming to tapalpa centro but you wont know it until you pass it by. Conforms to the strict regulations with a very small sign. Coppels is there and you wouldn't know it.

Yes. One of the Chapala Oxxos replaced an old family restaurant. The stone front is no different than its neighbors in tone or structure. The Oxxo sign is discreet. It is not an eyesore. It has no designated parking or back lot access for delivery trucks. Yet, it prospers. If downtown Chapala can handle the addition of several Oxxos so can Ajijic. Someone said “IF they were smart” they would have deliveries in the middle of the night so as to not create a traffic problem. Having watched the growth of Oxxo for a decade I say they are very smart indeed. They certainly are smarter about locating stores than a bunch of retired foreigners sitting around complaining.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh, the street situation in front of that Oxxo in Chapala and across from Tango are quite different.  Delivery trucks on the former won't totally block the street.  You might want to go take a look at this location to understand the difference between a location on a narrow, roughly paved and sloped street versus that location in Chapala.

What do you think the Chapala government would do if Oxxo wanted to put another store two blocks away on that jammed up section of Hildalgo past the light?  Think they would approve it?

I don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly neighbors are consulted before building permits are  issued. I believe this is by law and NEVER done!

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xena said:

They certainly are smarter about locating stores than a bunch of retired foreigners sitting around complaining.

Yes indeed with bells on and a double jaja!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferret said:

I wish we had a Tim Horton's and a Canadian Tire Store.

Harvey's and Crappy Tire would be better.

edmonton trip 008.jpg

harvey-s-2644.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HarryB said:

Supposedly neighbors are consulted before building permits are  issued. I believe this is by law and NEVER done!

 

Harry with respect, when ever have neighbors been consulted when a change in zoning  ( Whats that??)is proposed... that is if you can ever get to see a Zoning Map.

Sadly any exceptions of a change in approach by this new administration has long gone out of the window..different party but same politics different people receiving favors 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Harry with respect, when ever have neighbors been consulted when a change in zoning  ( Whats that??)is proposed... that is if you can ever get to see a Zoning Map.

Sadly any exceptions of a change in approach by this new administration has long gone out of the window..different party but same politics different people receiving favors 

Yup it is same old, same old Chapala.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was there a change in zoning needed to put a commercial operation on  a street that is 90 percent commercial and between 2 businesses?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Was there a change in zoning needed to put a commercial operation on  a street that is 90 percent commercial and between 2 businesses?

Brilliant!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Uh, the street situation in front of that Oxxo in Chapala and across from Tango are quite different.  Delivery trucks on the former won't totally block the street.  You might want to go take a look at this location to understand the difference between a location on a narrow, roughly paved and sloped street versus that location in Chapala.

What do you think the Chapala government would do if Oxxo wanted to put another store two blocks away on that jammed up section of Hildalgo past the light?  Think they would approve it?

I don't.

 I was not saying the locations were the same, just neither is perfect. You have no idea how this will all work out but you are determined to be outraged. The point is,  it was approved (if it indeed it was). You must have way more energy, are much healthier, and/or enjoy a way simpler life than I. I just do not enough left in me to get so worked up over things I have zero control over. Carry on.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...