Chapala.com Webboard

Building New OXXO in Ajijic

Taaffe

To each his own. To me Oxxo is a great concept, well run, employs thousands of Mexicans and manages better than any American franchise to cram hundreds of much needed things into one small store. Wish they were here in the US. The closest we have are the Dollar Stores and they su...well, they're not very good.

• Like 1

A very good example of how the Chapala government approves everything no matter how inappropriate.  That high rise in La Floresta is another example and they were actually threatened with jailing by the state courts because they refused to stop construction on it.  They have also allowed a one hundred percent lot coverage three story "botique" hotel on Constitution which is totally out of character with the neighborhood and in violation of the supposed lot coverage standards.   

Anything goes.  Could you imagine something like this happening in the scenic center of Mazamitla or Tapalpa?

I like OXXO too but this location is totally inappropriate.  There is no parking, do they really think they can support a store like this with a totally walk in trade?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are many Oxxos in PV where there is no parking also, or almost none like on Colon, and they are busy all the time. They don't usually open locations that fail, a la Costco, so my guess is that one will also be successful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taaffe said:

It will be across from Tango.  The local people are outraged and the foreign community should be too.  This will really put an end to any idea of Ajijic being a traditional Mexican village.

That ended a long time ago and quite frankly,Ajijic had/has a snowballs chance in haitch of being designated magico

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Magico or not this is totally out of character with the community and has no business in that location.  A really graphic example of anything goes with this government.

BTW she said nothing about Pueblo Magico.  Her comment points out the obvious destruction of the character of the neighborhood and of Colon street.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Magico or not this is totally out of character with the community and has no business in that location.  A really graphic example of anything goes with this government.

Not really for both and especially not for your second premise. Tourists will love it,especially the location.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

It will be across from Tango.  The local people are outraged and the foreign community should be too.  This will really put an end to any idea of Ajijic being a traditional Mexican village.

With respect Taaffe.... Ajijic being a traditional village went out of sight many years ago with all the tinsel and glitter stores..maybe if we could see the Master Plan for Ajijic we would have some idea of what the whole area will look like 5/10 years down the road  and give us the opportunity to decide if this is the place "we" want to like in...

For any one who had some faith that this Chapala administration was different just went out of the window...same ole same ole🙄🤣

Where do you get the info The local people are outraged...realy.  Tilting at  windmills can be dangerous to your health

I guess this project  did not show up on the radar  of " the committees to prevent high rise condo's"

• Haha 1

In terms of the locals’ sentiments check out ‘no Al cemento’ on Facebook. 

I go back to the 60s when my parents moved here and it was still a fishing village.

The greed of the present administration in handing out illegal permits for building out of zoning regulations and without consulting the community(a legal requirement for something like Oxxo) is the worst I’ve seen.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

BTW she said nothing about Pueblo Magico.  Her comment points out the obvious destruction of the character of the neighborhood and of Colon street.

Does anyone but me remember the enormous hoo-ha that went up when the national chain Farmacia Guadalajara was built at the corner of the carretera and Encarnación Rosas?  The outrage that ensued when the national chain Walmart was built at the corner of the libramiento?  Those were (as far as I remember) the first two national chains built in Ajijic--well, of course excepting PEMEX, which was originally on the corner across from where Walmart now exists, and is now in several other places in town.  There is currently at least one Farmacia de Similares, and it doesn't seem to have pushed out Farmacia Cristina, or Dr. Polo, or other small farmacias.

image.png.6d63cf9e835aba4845e4d18898e588c6.png 
For quite a few years, an OXXO has been on Pátzcuaro's elegant and lovely main plaza, Plaza don Vasco de Quiroga.  There was enormous outcry against it when it was proposed, of course. City rules require it to have minimal, low-key signage and that the building be painted according to city regulations: rust-red from the sidewalk and up a meter or so, then white above that.  It's barely noticeable--if you ask someone where it is, that person will point it out to you, but it's hard to see it even when you're standing directly in front of it. Can you see it in the photo?  Nope, me either--but it's there, along the side of the square behind the statue of don Vasco.

image.png.2e5cc523fdd2bad1b3dde44c0f16c53e.png
There's another OXXO in the Centro of San Miguel de Allende (on Calle Mesones), smack dab in the highly touristed middle of town.  Another huge flap carried on against it when it was proposed.  But does this detract from the fantasy view of the city?  Not IMHO.

In the 'village' of Ajijic, where is the abarrotes nearest the site of the new OXXO?  

Like you guys, I'm not an OXXO fan.  But OXXO is a modern-day fact of life in Mexico, including in the most touristed cities and towns.  Some of those have a fairy-tale image of themselves to preserve.  Others just want the convenience.  You and I can jump up and down till hell freezes over, but OXXO is apparently here to stay.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's nice that the signage was reduced around here for the Oxxos. But the damage they have done to the abarrotes around lakeside, and their ridiculously high prices, can never be reversed. That being said, it's no different than any other country that has corner-store chains. In my home town, some strip malls have two stores (Mac's Milk) in the same strip.

I lament that an Oxxo will never offer fresh bolillos, or a decent selection of fruit and veg, or anything else that a private store owner would consider worthy for his neighbourhood.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

It's nice that the signage was reduced around here for the Oxxos. But the damage they have done to the abarrotes around lakeside, and their ridiculously high prices, can never be reversed. That being said, it's no different than any other country that has corner-store chains. In my home town, some strip malls have two stores (Mac's Milk) in the same strip.

I lament that an Oxxo will never offer fresh bolillos, or a decent selection of fruit and veg, or anything else that a private store owner would consider worthy for his neighbourhood.

There are plenty mom and pops everywhere doing what you lament so there is no reason to do so.-eh! We have about 5 within stones throw and [gasp!] they compete with each other as they always have. The OXXOs serve an entirely different purpose.

• Like 4

We have oxxos all over the place in San Cristobal de las Casas, on the andador which is walking only.. At places where there is no parking.. THe sign can be discreet and the building local o colonial and they are ot an eyesore. They came andy to me where all the local stores stopped carrying milk.. Oxxo had the Lala brand. Unfortunately it is bringin more availability of junk food which no one really needs, otherwise let it be..

42 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

There are plenty mom and pops everywhere doing what you lament so there is no reason to do so.-eh! We have about 5 within stones throw and [gasp!] they compete with each other as they always have. The OXXOs serve an entirely different purpose.

No, they don't. But you go bein' Happy, Jillin, with your constant rebuttals.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Oxxo is a franchise. The parent company is also the owner of Coca Cola in Mexico. 

Like any franchise the owner can ask for a location. If Oxxo approves I am sure they help with permits etc.  In Chapala there are 2 within 1 block. 

Ajijic ceased being a quaint pueblito about 25 years ago. In Mazamitla which is a Pueblo Magico there is a bank fronting the plaza.

You can complain all you want, but the town is changing. If you want to live in a quaint little town, there hundreds within 1 hour of here. But you will have to live a quaint little town lifestyle

• Like 5