Chapala.com Webboard

Residente Permanante

pappysmarket

This is a hypothetical question and I'm looking for someone who actually knows how this works rather than an amateur opinion.

We know with RP you can't drive a foreign plated vehicle.

We know with a Temporal and a TIP you can.

What other document is used to tie your RP to who you are? Passport?

When you renew your passport the new one has a new number. That's not a question, it does because mine does.

What would stop someone, if the passport is the key, from applying for a Temporal visa with the new number and then being granted one without triggering any consequences?

Does the new passport number perhaps "drag along" the old number also?

I realize anyone in say Homeland Security, etc. could reference old passport numbers easily if they had any need to know. My question is do the relevant Mexican agencies bother to go that far on a routine basis? Perhaps it's something altogether different that tells them who's who but I'm just wondering. If some crisis ever came along that called for a person to return to Mexico it might be helpful to know if that would be an option.

TIA 

Google Translation:
"MIGRATION LAW New Law published in the Official Gazette of the Federation on*May 25, 2011 CURRENT TEXT Last reform published*03-07-2019

Article 64. The Institute shall cancel the status of temporary or permanent resident, by the following causes:

I. Demonstration of the foreigner that his departure is final;

II. Authorization of a foreigner for another condition of stay; [ applying for and recieving another INM immigration status]

III. Provide false information or display before the Institute apocryphal or legitimate official documentation but that has been obtained fraudulently; 

IV. Losing the foreigner his condition of stay for the other causes established in this Law;

V. Foreigner losing the recognition of their refugee status or complementary protection,in accordance with the applicable legal provisions, and SAW. Being subject to criminal proceedings or having been convicted of a felony according to the laws national in criminal matters or the provisions contained in international treaties and conventions of which the Mexican State is a party or that due to its background in the country or abroad could compromise national security or public safety. 

Article 65. Foreigners must prove their regular immigration status in the country, in the acts legal entities that require the intervention of public notaries, those who replace them or Do your times, regarding real estate issues, and trade*brokers.In*accordance with the provisions of article 27 of the Constitution, the Foreign Investment Law and other applicable laws and regulations, foreigners must make the corresponding waivers."

• Like 1

Well I read it on Borderland Beat and it sounded like a theory that must have holes in it so thought throwing it out to the "legal beagles" on this board might confirm my suspicions that once again BB is just a rag.   From the replies it sounds like I was right but only Slainte caught a whiff of tongue in cheek.

Years ago when I totaled my car in Michoacan, I couldn't get my TIP off the Aduana computer.  Even when I presented to Aduana the photos from the cops of the car, the VIN, the letter from the insurance company that it was totaled and the TIP sticker with a piece of windshield still adhered.  My lawyer told me to get a new passport in order to bring in another car.  I did and it worked.

• Haha 1

The TIP is not actually 'connected' to your Temporal.... it's just that you TIP is valid as long as your Temporal is valid.  The TIP is connected to the owner's Passport/number. So if one "looses' their Passport and get's another one... with a new number which is mandatory.... a TIP can be issued 'against' that new Passport #. 

The TIP is "connected" to your Temporal by virtue of it being valid as long as your visa is valid.  But it is "charged" to your passport number.  Hence, new passport number, new TIP on new car.  The original TIP was never cancelled by Aduana.  I didn't care as long as I was able to bring in a new car.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:07 AM, Yo1 said:

Years ago when I totaled my car in Michoacan, I couldn't get my TIP off the Aduana computer.  Even when I presented to Aduana the photos from the cops of the car, the VIN, the letter from the insurance company that it was totaled and the TIP sticker with a piece of windshield still adhered.  My lawyer told me to get a new passport in order to bring in another car.  I did and it worked.

We were also told by an attorney that this was how you get around a similar problem if ever needed. We never needed to so thanks for confirming it does (did?) work.