Chapala.com Webboard

Fresh Horseradish?

thevalerieleigh

Planning to make a prime rib with garlic horseradish crust.  I've seen the small jars of horseradish at various locations and while it's OK, I'm hoping someone can tell me where to find fresh, refrigerated horseradish for this prime rib.

Any information available?

Many thanks!

Val Jones  :)

It is not cold enough here to grow horseradish. A substitute is roots from the Horseradish tree, more commonly known as the Moringa, which is widely grown here. There is a group of local women growing them commercially near SJC. I must say I have never tried this, and if you do, heed this warning about making sure the roots are clear of bark

https://www.echocommunity.org/en/resources/78f4ebad-7739-44b5-b01d-2483f11bc8b8

The Beaver brand from Oregon is very good, I once watched show of them making it. The worker had to wear an Army Surplus gasmask!

Horseradish is a critical ingredient in shrimp cocktail sauce, which is widely served here especially in resort zones. Another unexpected source is that green Wasabi paste, often served with Japanese dishes, especially sushi types. Real Wasabi is very expensive and difficult to grow, they used dried and ground horseradish. Maybe a reduced amount of Wasabi would work?

29 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Horseradish is a critical ingredient in shrimp cocktail sauce, which is widely served here especially in resort zones. Another unexpected source is that green Wasabi paste, often served with Japanese dishes, especially sushi types. Real Wasabi is very expensive and difficult to grow, they used dried and ground horseradish. Maybe a reduced amount of Wasabi would work?

I have NEVER had cocktail sauce with horseradish in it in Mexico when ordering a shrimp cocktail...

I make my own when I need to but I'm not sure that the concentrated pickled variety available in SuperLake will adapt well to Valerie's recipe and it would be very expensive to try and fail.

The smallish jars at SL are the same as what I get back home. (I looked on Amazon to see if I could get bigger jars, but to no avail.) The one thing that keeps me from making my own shrimp cocktail sauce here is the price of these tiny jars: for about the same price as the horseradish, I get a ready-to-use jar of cocktail sauce.

Also available at SuperLake are Kikkoman Wasabi Sauce (which seems to be something like a mayo/wasabi mix), and Inglehoffer Wasabi Horseradish. And I just got a jar of Horseradish mustard at WalMart.

Just for fun, I googled this prime rib roast style and every recipe, I looked at called for PREPARED horse radish not fresh. So if that's available at superlake with no other ingredients added, go get it.When I cook I never bother about the price of the ingredients,just get them and away I go.

I just read an article about a chef who bought real wasabi at a Seattle public market to compare to powders and paste. He reported that the real, just simply ground, was vastly superior. The price was $99 US per lb.

If you were searing the roast first, you could add finely chopped garlic and wasabi powder, then build the crust.

34 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I just read an article about a chef who bought real wasabi at a Seattle public market to compare to powders and paste. He reported that the real, just simply ground, was vastly superior. The price was $99 US per lb.

If you were searing the roast first, you could add finely chopped garlic and wasabi powder, then build the crust.

That is not how a prime rib roast is done. What she is attempting is very similar to a salt crust and yes I have watched that being done and had it many times in Montana. The crust must go on first to keep the juices in by searing it that way. I am very familiar with horseradish which grew wild on our property in Alberta. Damn hard to get rid of even when our Ukrainian friends came to dig up the roots, as it came back every year. Wasabi horseradish ain't necessary when the other is at Superlake.

Found a couple of varieties at Superlake yesterday.  One is refrigerated so hopefully it'll turn out well.  It's marinating in the garlic, horseradish and olive oil for 48 hours.  I'm cooking it Sunday so hopefully it will be tasty.  :)

Cheers,

Val 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Found a couple of varieties at Superlake yesterday.  One is refrigerated so hopefully it'll turn out well.  It's marinating in the garlic, horseradish and olive oil for 48 hours.  I'm cooking it Sunday so hopefully it will be tasty.  :)

Cheers,

Val 

That refrigerated stuff loses it strength fast once they are opened, so use it up fast. After a  couple of days. it tastes like ground up jicama.   :D  The non refrigerated seems to hold it´s taste longer but that´s probably due to preservatives.  I like it when it makes my eyes water and nose run......LOL

1 hour ago, Taaffe said:

My mom grew horseradish successfully in Ajijic.

Yes, I see now some varieties will grow up zone 9, we are zone 10 to 11. The problem is every time I searched for seeds, only got bare root cuttings. Very difficult to get through Mexican agriculture\customs. May also be considered an invasive crop. To get through the roots must be spotlessly bare and you need someone who knows how writeup a CITES application. With the government fees and facilitator charge you are probably looking at $150 US. You could try the "I didn't know" excuse with checked luggage, but I'll bet Mexican border and agriculture agents get tired of hearing that everyday.

Good find Angus! That's for a pound but lower in the link there is one for 6 oz. You can slice 'em up in 1/4 to 1/2 inch increments and grow your own. They do tend to be invasive though (like mint) so I think I'd plant in a container.

Correction: It needs a phytosanitary certificate. I believe CITES is for wildlife. I guess someone in Mexico is trying to make a commercial go of it now. Finally got my saplings from Veracruz. No phyto required within Mexico. Interesting, the peach tree is sending out a quickly growing branch from near the base. It could be a quince (membrillo) fruit. Imagine, two fruits on one tree.

It turned out really well.  Thanks for all the comments and advice.  YUMMY left-overs.  :)

Val

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 2:55 PM, CHILLIN said:

Correction: It needs a phytosanitary certificate. I believe CITES is for wildlife. I guess someone in Mexico is trying to make a commercial go of it now. Finally got my saplings from Veracruz. No phyto required within Mexico. Interesting, the peach tree is sending out a quickly growing branch from near the base. It could be a quince (membrillo) fruit. Imagine, two fruits on one tree.

Most fruit trees any more are grafted on a root stock of a different variety tree.  This is what you probably have and the branch is from the root.  Check and see if there is a ring at the base of the tree where it was grafted.

On 1/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, Ferret said:

Good find Angus! That's for a pound but lower in the link there is one for 6 oz. You can slice 'em up in 1/4 to 1/2 inch increments and grow your own. They do tend to be invasive though (like mint) so I think I'd plant in a container.

Speaking from experience, you got that right,planting in a container.