Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

Someone mentioned I have to take my US car back to the border each year and renew my TIP. Is that true? I thought my TIP is valid as long as my Residente Temporal is valid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your Temporal is only good for one year.  You must renew your TIP before your Temporal expires or you lose your deposit.  You can do it at Aduana at the Guad airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Your Temporal is only good for one year.  You must renew your TIP before your Temporal expires or you lose your deposit.  You can do it at Aduana at the Guad airport.

Not all Temporals are good for only 1 year.... only the first one is mandatory for that length. After that one may renew for up to 3 more years... meaning one CAN get their second Temporal for 3 years. The duration of a TIP follows the duration of the Temporal and for longer Temporal lengths the TIP is good for as long as the Temporal is valid. 

But under no circumstances must you return to the border to renew the TIP. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because the OP is a newbie i thought perhaps he only had a 1 year visa.  You are right.  Hope he gets expert advice.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in my first year (6th month) of my temporal. I plan on renewing for 3 more before the 12th month. Do I have to go to airport to extend my TIP also. I also plan on driving back to California then return to Ajijic in a vacation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you go to INM and renew your Temporal for a 3-year period, that will mean your TIP will be valid for those three years, BUT.... yes this first time you must go to Aduana and renew the TIP... showing them the new Temporal or at least the paperwork for it if you don't actually have it in-hand. Failing to renew the TIP this time will mean that it will expire at the end of the first year.

Your 'Ajijic in a vacation' comment was not clear to me but..... as a Temporal you won't turn your VISA nor the TIP in when you leave Mexico nor get a new one when you return.  Just make sure you aren't out of Mexico when your first year Temporal/TIP expires.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RickS said:

When you go to INM and renew your Temporal for a 3-year period, that will mean your TIP will be valid for those three years, BUT.... yes this first time you must go to Aduana and renew the TIP... showing them the new Temporal or at least the paperwork for it if you don't actually have it in-hand. Failing to renew the TIP this time will mean that it will expire at the end of the first year.

Your 'Ajijic in a vacation' comment was not clear to me but..... as a Temporal you won't turn your VISA nor the TIP in when you leave Mexico nor get a new one when you return.  Just make sure you aren't out of Mexico when your first year Temporal/TIP expires.

 

Do not expect to get your deposit from Aduana and the bank. It has been quite a while since I actually got any deposit. Spencer will try but so far he can't get any of them back either. I know it is outright theft but it's just Mexico. It just never shows up on the credit card as a refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had Azucena Bateman-Campos of ABC Legal take care of out TIP extension when we renewed our first year visas for three more years.

Her fee was reasonable and we didn't have to worry that it was done correctly, nor did we have the hassle of a visit with aduana at the Guadalajara airport.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, geeser said:

Do not expect to get your deposit from Aduana and the bank. It has been quite a while since I actually got any deposit. Spencer will try but so far he can't get any of them back either. I know it is outright theft but it's just Mexico. It just never shows up on the credit card as a refund.

I took a legal/valid TIP car out around Dec. 20th, cancelling the TIP at the border and the deposit has not yet showed up as a refund on the owner's credit card!

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RickS said:

When you go to INM and renew your Temporal for a 3-year period, that will mean your TIP will be valid for those three years, BUT.... yes this first time you must go to Aduana and renew the TIP... showing them the new Temporal or at least the paperwork for it if you don't actually have it in-hand. Failing to renew the TIP this time will mean that it will expire at the end of the first year.

Your 'Ajijic in a vacation' comment was not clear to me but..... as a Temporal you won't turn your VISA nor the TIP in when you leave Mexico nor get a new one when you return.  Just make sure you aren't out of Mexico when your first year Temporal/TIP expires.

 

 VERY BAD ADVICE.... If you leave Mexico with your vehicle and don’t turn in the TIP and something happens to that vehicle such as a accident or it gets stolen and you are unable to drive that vehicle back to Mexico you will have a problem. if you try to bring another vehicle in to Mexico you will not be allowed to because the Mexican authorities will say you have a vehicle in Mexico...because according to their paperwork your vehicle never left Mexico..  It would a long and expensive process for you to prove the vehicle is no longer in Mexico.. Take the time and do things properly, it will save you a whole lot of grief if something happens to your vehicle..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

 VERY BAD ADVICE.... If you leave Mexico with your vehicle and don’t turn in the TIP and something happens to that vehicle such as a accident or it gets stolen and you are unable to drive that vehicle back to Mexico you will have a problem. if you try to bring another vehicle in to Mexico you will not be allowed to because the Mexican authorities will say you have a vehicle in Mexico...because according to their paperwork your vehicle never left Mexico..  It would a long and expensive process for you to prove the vehicle is no longer in Mexico.. Take the time and do things properly, it will save you a whole lot of grief if something happens to your vehicle..

That has to be tempered with the knowledge that the TIP deposit will be stolen each time. Both Spencer and Sna Azucena Bateman-Campos will tell you it is not going to be refunded as advertised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, geeser said:

That has to be tempered with the knowledge that the TIP deposit will be stolen each time. Both Spencer and Sna Azucena Bateman-Campos will tell you it is not going to be refunded as advertised.

The TIP deposit would be the least of your problems if something happed to the vehicle.. over my 14 years here I have known a couple of people that never turned in their TIP and had accidents or sold the vehicle not realizing that could bring another vehicle in until the previous TIP had been cleared from their name...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cars made in Mexico for the Mexican market are very different than for the US market.  They have no catalytic convertor and US pollution systems (which is why they can't be imported to the US) and safety specs are much lower.  One reason Mexican cars are cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to check your comment about "no catalytic converter"...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2020 at 6:05 PM, Yo1 said:

Cars made in Mexico for the Mexican market are very different than for the US market.  They have no catalytic convertor and US pollution systems (which is why they can't be imported to the US) and safety specs are much lower.  One reason Mexican cars are cheaper.

Cars made in Mexico  and cars sold in Mexico with gasoline engines have catalytic converters. The gas sold here is unleaded for that reason. 

Mexico observes the European Safety & Emission Standards. There are a few models of cars sold here, and some made here, that have the US EPA/Safety sticker under the hood and are exactly the same as their US counterparts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Michael Ray said:

I wish I could find a list of EPA approved Mexican vehicles. 

You have to look under the hood for the correct sticker attached to the under side of each vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 10:52 AM, Mostlylost said:

 

Mexico observes the European Safety & Emission Standards. There are a few models of cars sold here, and some made here, that have the US EPA/Safety sticker under the hood and are exactly the same as their US counterparts. 

Would you like to "name" the makes/models that have the EPA/CARB/DOT stickers?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without visiting every brand and opening the hood it's impossible.

My Nephew bought a Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat from a Dodge dealer in Guadalajara that had the US DOT EPA , but not the CARB (California Air Resources Board) stickers. When he got a Job in Arizona it was imported into the USA. At that time it was 8 months old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A large percentage of "US Cars and Trucks" are actually made in Mexico and exported to the USA.  I have owned two Nissans that were, and a Freightliner is another brand you might know, owned by Daimler Benz, etc., etc..........VW, Ford, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Infinity, and a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BUT they were manufactured to US specs. We all know that Mexico can and does make a ton of vehicles for sale in the US, but those made here for consumption HERE most often do not have/meet EPA/DOT standards.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rick is correct. When the vehicle moves down the assembly line the manufacture can build it with different specs just like building with different equipment.

Sometimes it is cheaper and easier to build all the same. Example in the US vehicles are 49 state or Calif and have the  corresponding sticker under the hood,  but most are actually the same. Why does it cost more in Calif for a vehicle certified for sale there?? Because California requires a longer warranty on the emissions system performance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...