Chapala.com Webboard

Fudi- Where You are the Chef (a possible new service in Ajijicl

Stephanie

12 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Who the heck would know where you lived in the US? Maybe the part about the US should have been omitted? No need to add a dig to your comment about how affordable meals are there.

I don't see where there was a "dig" in that post, anywhere.

How about "where many people lived in the U.S.?"  The RVG  sounds like an unusually low priced restaurant area.  FYI, I lived in CA where the prices were way higher than here, as it also was in most places in the U.S. I've visited. To the point, I honestly don't think there is much of a market for the OP's idea and I hate to see anyone work hard without a reward.  The OP wanted input.

• Thanks 2

This type of service will do well in an area where people are short on time, but want to prepare home cooked meals. This is an area where you are trying to appeal to retired folks. Your profit margin will depend on buying in bulk, and delivering pre-cleaned, pre-measured food, with all the ingredients (and directions) necessary to make the complete meal. Yes, you may get some interest from the occasional person who wants to cook an exotic meal without having to buy all the accoutrements. But is this going to lead to an ongoing subscription model necessary to run a successful business? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Maybe Pappy's new home is center base for coupon clippers and blue plate specials. Something else you don't see much around here.

Haha, no coupons to clip, no blue plate specials. Just a whole bunch of Hispanic folks who work hard, make good money and like to dine out. For many of them, price is not important. There are lines at any and every decent restaurant here in the Valley and to accommodate them many restaurants have staffed up to be ready for the evening rush. That means they are quite willing to take a smaller profit margin for lunch and early evening diners but the portions and quality remain the same. Staff gets their hours, chances for more tips and we get to eat at nice places that would have an hour's wait at say 7:00 PM.  Win win.

Pappy I am having a hard time seeing what this has to do with the OP. My old Dad used to say that he was born in Texas but got good sense when he was 3 and moved the family away, never to return. That was over 100 years ago and I have followed the wisdom of his words.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Pappy I am having a hard time seeing what this has to do with the OP. My old Dad used to say that he was born in Texas but got good sense when he was 3 and moved the family away, never to return. That was over 100 years ago and I have followed the wisdom of his words.

Send your resume to the Admin if you want to be a Mod. Otherwise just ignore the posts that don't interest you. I suspect most Texans are very pleased with you following his wisdom. I'm very aware many Coloradans don't care for Texans. It is what it is. Pretty good for a 3 year old by the way, LOL

Cheers

• Like 1

We've been using the RGV as the halfway stop between here and DFW for some years now.  Pappys is right.  Best border town for restaurants, hotels and shopping by far.  Especially after they got a Costco.  And we love Freddy's passionately.

Horrible weather.  Constant wind, hot as hell and stifling humid.  Separate landing strip at the airport for the mosquitos.

Colorado is too damned cold in the winter.  Lordy how I loved riding motos and RVing there though.  Hope to resume both later this year. :D 

As for the OP, when it comes to food services here, many are called but few are chosen to last very long.  You go for it and take what you get.  

12 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Stephanie. I once knew a consultant whose business was to turn failing restaurants around. Then he got smart, started buying them. Now he is a multi millionaire. I remember him telling me that in an average restaurant, the actual cost of the food on the menu should be no more than 40%. Sure people can, and do, sell for less, but they are throwing money away and there is no point trying to compete with them.

Chillin is correct in the states you usually figure food cost at 40% but here you can figure it at 50% or more.  In the states i had to pay liability insurance, workers comp insurance, social security, medicaid,  unemployment insurance,  state taxes, federal taxes, licenses, labor for workers and a host of other things.  Of course there was the labor costs and facility costs.  Here the labor and facility costs are much cheaper and most of the other costs I had you will not have to pay.  If you do this and the food is reasonable I am sure my wife and I would have a standing order for once or twice a week. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, slainte39 said:

And here I was depending on you for an excellent recommendation as a Mod., fair weather, fickle friend.   :(

Well...they did contact me and I gave you a 5 Star vote. You should be all set by now. Wait...who else did you use as a reference?

16 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Chillin is correct in the states you usually figure food cost at 40% but here you can figure it at 50% or more.  In the states i had to pay liability insurance, workers comp insurance, social security, medicaid,  unemployment insurance,  state taxes, federal taxes, licenses, labor for workers and a host of other things.  Of course there was the labor costs and facility costs.  Here the labor and facility costs are much cheaper and most of the other costs I had you will not have to pay.  If you do this and the food is reasonable I am sure my wife and I would have a standing order for once or twice a week. 

I think you're leaving out one major cost in Mexico that you didn't have to pay in the US.

The weekly or monthly payment to, ahem, not be "bothered" by disruptive influences. It doesn't show up on the books but lots of owners have to pay it and they sure as heck don't talk about it.

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

I think you're leaving out one major cost in Mexico that you didn't have to pay in the US.

The weekly or monthly payment to, ahem, not be "bothered" by disruptive influences. It doesn't show up on the books but lots of owners have to pay it and they sure as heck don't talk about it.

Yes, I thought about this.  I wondered if Lakeside Restaurants are paying this and what the fee might be also if expat's are paying.  I haven't heard of any consequences lately.