Chapala.com Webboard

US phone umber that rings on cellphone

Choices include keeping your US cell phone provider and phone number for as long as they do not cut you off for excessive roaming; a dual-SIM option on your phone (not all US providers offer--T-mobile does not yet) or you can research online which of the several phone number parking and forwarding options best suits your needs. Google voice coupled with Google Hangouts works decently well, but your US number, for fees, of course, first is transferred to another US number (maybe that of a family member or friend?) then that number routes a call to your Mexican cell number. For some, keeping two phones is an option, with your data and roaming turned off on your US number to stay under the US-provider radar.

If it is a cell #, you can link it to WhatsApp and that way, people with the app can call you to talk live, VM you, text you, and send photo and video to you, on it, all free, and secure end-to-end, globally.    Uses either WiFi internet connection or a data plan, not cell time (as it is internet based)  Works great; you can also set up groups on it for those family or business chats.

https://www.whatsapp.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jrod said:

Choices include keeping your US cell phone provider and phone number for as long as they do not cut you off for excessive roaming; a dual-SIM option on your phone (not all US providers offer--T-mobile does not yet) or you can research online which of the several phone number parking and forwarding options best suits your needs. Google voice coupled with Google Hangouts works decently well, but your US number, for fees, of course, first is transferred to another US number (maybe that of a family member or friend?) then that number routes a call to your Mexican cell number. For some, keeping two phones is an option, with your data and roaming turned off on your US number to stay under the US-provider radar.

I have a dual Sim using T-Mobile.  You can also buy a Skype "In" number (you get to pick the area code and number).   I use Whatsapp, but have found a reluctance for the use of that app among many folks in the US (for no reason, they just are apprehensive of adding to their phone).  Though younger US residents who travel outside the US do use Whatsapp.  

• Like 1

You did not say if you live in Mexico full time and just wish to have a US number that anyone from there can call you on, or..... you actually live in the US but when you come to Mexico you would like anyone to still be able to call you without charges while in Mexico. BIG difference in solutions!

Also, IMO while WhatsApp is nice it does require the caller to also be using WhatsApp and, again IMO, that will make the WhatsApp choice less desirable.

I like my Ooma (internet) phone with a Seattle phone #. I take it with me whenever I travel. That way my Seattle neighbors can call me whether I am here in Ajijic 9 months per year or in British Columbia or at my Seattle Condo.

I also use Callcentric with a US phone number that costs $1.95 per month. Incoming calls ring on my Iphone with an app "Acrobits Softphone"; works great on either Wifi or Telcel data. Occasionally an incoming call is missed but you can call the caller back. Costs about $0.02 per minute for incoming and outgoing calls to the US. Callcentric has plans for heavy users to reduce the call costs.

If you decide to go this route pick an app like Acrobits or Bria Mobile that work with push notifications to reduce battery load.

I use a Samsung S5 with dual sims. I put a T-mobile in slot 1 and a Mexican ATT in slot 2. You can buy a dual sim phone that says carrier unlocked and GSM on Ebay or Mercado Libre and just stick the sims in the phone yourself. I suspect you are wanting text or MSM codes for financial institutions to a USA cell number. If that is the case you should point that out as some of these responses will not work with texts.