Chapala.com Webboard

WHAT A MESS

Monessen

I was minding my own business this afternoon hanging out with my sister when the doorbell at the front gate rang. My Mexican partner answered it to find 2 local police officers standing in front of the gate. They said that they had come to find a former Mexican acquaintance of his who lived at our address. He told them that he had known her in the past but that she had never lived at this address nor did he ever know her address. The police showed him a copy of her Mexican identity card and, sure enough, she had put our address. My partner insisted that he had no idea where she was or what happened to the money. The police told him that the bank would be coming next week to confiscate household items to repay a loan if it wasn't paid in full by then. Needless to say, my partner was beside himself with anger. He told them they would not be permitted on the property or in the house. They told him that it was his problem--pay the loan back in full or they will be back for furniture and other household goods. 

My partner knows where the woman's minor daughter works and after he punched a cement wall near the front gate he went up to find her at work. She told him that her mother went to Michuacan without an address. He told her that she had better tell her mother that he was getting a good local lawyer and having her arrested for falsely using our address on her Mexican ID card and taking out a loan using our address. I keep reminding him that it CAN'T be legal to hold us responsible for her loan. We signed nothing for her to get her loan and that she used a falsified ID card. On the other hand I have been trying to get rid of an old couch that the cats have destroyed and I would be glad to let them have it. He didn't see the humor.  

If I had been able to speak Spanish better than I can I would have intervened to ask the police if I was able to get a loan on a false ID using their address would my default be "their problem". I am sure that it would have been a different answer. I also suspect that the bank cannot legally do anything to us in this case and that the police were encouraged to scare us into paying her loan off by next week. I had another Mexican friend who legitimately used my address and the loan wasn't granted until a bank representative actually showed up at the front gate to verify the address and information with me. What a business model this case is--give someone a large loan without verifying the address first.   

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, gringal said:

What is needed at this juncture is not filled by a post on the 'net, but rather the advice and assistance of a good lawyer.  I'd suggest Spencer McMullen, who posts on here and has his office in Chapala.  Best of luck.

Exactly.  Don't ignore this and assume it will just go away.  Be prepared for if/when they come back.

This is absurd.  From a very bad experience, for a loan a friend took out (my name does not appear anywhere) the banks will turn unpaid debts over to a debt collection company as in the states.  They will call at all times of the day, and often several times a day.  They are trained to be nasty, accusatory, and generally rude.  Once I was told I was a liar and a thief.  This can go on a year, or more, seriously.  Eventually depending on the amount the case may be turned over to a lawyer.  Police are NOT involved.  No one came to my house in that manner.  Were these regular municipal police, state, fed, guardia nacional, or perhaps investigators from the Ministerio Público?  Most important is to get their I.D.   They have no right to harass you like that or to threaten you, particularly as it is not your loan and you didn’t act as secondary or a witness or anything else.  Go immediately ... like tomorrow....to a good lawyer like Azucena Bateman at ABC Legal or Spencer as someone mentioned above.  You do NOT want to deal with this alone.  Trust me.

1 minute ago, Bettinka said:

This is absurd.  From a very bad experience, for a loan a friend took out (my name does not appear anywhere) the bank’s will turn unpaid debts over to a debt collection company as in the states.  They will call at all times of the day, and often several times a day.  They are trained to be nasty, accusatory, and generally rude.  Once I was told I was a liar and a thief.  This can go on a year, or more, seriously.  Eventually depending on the amount the case may be turned over to a lawyer.  Police are NOT involved.  No one came to my house in that manner.  Were these regular municipal police, state, fed, guardia nacional, or perhaps investigators from the Ministerio Público?  Most important is to get their I.D.   They have no right to harass you like that or to threaten you, particularly as it is not your loan and you didn’t act as secondary or a witness or anything else.  Go immediately ... like tomorrow....to a good lawyer like Azucena Bateman at ABC Legal or Spencer as someone mentioned above.  You do NOT want to deal with this alone.  Trust me.

What happens in the states is totally irrelevant..  Your in Mexico now.. Different country Different rules... Seek professional advice.. Don’t rely on what a newbie tells you the police can and cannot do...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

What happens in the states is totally irrelevant..  Your in Mexico now.. Different country Different rules... Seek professional advice.. Don’t rely on what a newbie tells you the police can and cannot do...

excuse me...but the only mention of the states is that like there, debts are turned over to collection agencies.  My experience was here, right here in little old Mexico.  And...newbie?  After 16 years?  And fluent Spanish.  And 36 years in Hispanic countries.   Hmmm.  P.S. I also said:  “  Go immediately ... like tomorrow....to a good lawyer like Azucena Bateman at ABC Legal or Spencer as someone mentioned above.  You do NOT want to deal with this alone.  Trustme.”

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

UNDERSTANDING HOW TO USE YOUR AND YOU'RE:

Your is the second person possessive adjective, used to describe something as belonging to you. Your is always followed by a noun or gerund.

You’re is the contraction of "you are" and is often followed by the present participle (verb form ending in -ing).

There is one rule that will help you make the right choice:

If you can replace the word with "you are," you should select "you’re". Otherwise, you should only choose "your".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, chapalence said:

UNDERSTANDING HOW TO USE YOUR AND YOU'RE:

Your is the second person possessive adjective, used to describe something as belonging to you. Your is always followed by a noun or gerund.

You’re is the contraction of "you are" and is often followed by the present participle (verb form ending in -ing).

There is one rule that will help you make the right choice:

If you can replace the word with "you are," you should select "you’re". Otherwise, you should only choose "your".

I would give you the laugh thingy but apparently  I have used my limit for the day unlike all those that gave you the sad thingy for a fine post.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gringal said:

What's sad is that anyone would feel it's okay to publicly humiliate another person by posting a high school grammar lesson. If the teaching compulsion was too strong to resist, a PM would have more than sufficed.

Some people are more compelled than others to show off their high IQ and advanced education and knowledge.. LOLOLOL  Otherwise, how would we know???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 8:55 PM, TelsZ4 said:

Why are you so insulting?

• Sad 3