Chapala.com Webboard

The Lost Generation

lakeside7

This month my time seems to have been preoccupied with attending Memorials or farewell parties for friends returning to both the US and Canada for health reasons. Sadly my circle of friends and acquaintance's  is shrinking by the month and instead of inviting friends to the movies or other events the days are now visiting the various nursing homes in the area

Interestingly at one of the farewell parties I inquired of a lady where was her husband......oh he died in November......sorry to hear that, I did not see his name in the obituaries ... we don't do that any more , we are concerned about letting others know we are alone in the house...really, how sad how very sad to think or perceive that there are such predators in this area

I wonder how many other Lost Generation folks are experiencing the same situation

• Like 1

As a family historian, I am saddened to see the lack of obituaries. I have learned so many interesting and surprising things about my ancestors from their obituaries. In the States, family members aren't publishing obituaries because the newspapers are charging so much for them. I hadn't thought about a woman alone but I remember concern about publishing the funeral information because thieves knew the house would be empty. A sad state of affairs.

• Like 1

I remember when I went into Real Estate looong ago, they explained about the "opportunity" that the obits would provide after a decent amount of time if someone else didn't beat you to contacting the survivors.  I always felt that was in such bad taste but did know some who profited from that course of action.

You are left alone if you do not make new friends. My mother is 98 and she is not alone.. ever , she is always making new friends with new arrivals in the comunity where she lives. As Bournemouth says , we live in a community where there are new people coming in all the time. It is up to each person to make new friends and as another person says learn the language and get to know people in different age groups.

As far as people waiting for properties that is life..a house becomes empty and chances are that it will be sold so people ask about it..nothing wrong with it if it is done tactfully. We are not on this earth for ever and life moves on.. So they are vultures , they have a function.. remember the scene in Zorba the Greek? Pretty realistic.. 

42 minutes ago, Rainman said:

Doesn't " lost generation" refer to people born between 1890 and 1900 ?

According to Wikipedia: “The Lost Generation includes the cohort born between 1883 and 1900,[6] and many scholars use the term in reference to the 1920s.[7] Since the death of Nabi Tajima (4 August 1900 – 21 April 2018),[8] this generation is believed to be extinct.”

Also referred to as the G. I. Generation

In Strauss & Howe's book, "The Fourth Turning" that generation was born between 1901-1924.

The Lost Generation between 1883 and 1900.

The Silents from 1925-1942

Boomers from 1943-1960

Take your pick since generation theory is still just that, theory.

• Like 1