Chapala.com Webboard

Septic tank

WideSky

We have had our 'tank'/hole in the ground pumped in the last couple of months as the kitchen and laundry drains ran slow then backed up. I snaked (25' no evidence of blockage snake comes out clean), used Drano, even put the garden hose in (yes I can get it in about 15-20').  Two months later it's starting again. I suspect we have a 'grey water' pit and also 'tank' for the bathrooms (as they never back up or cause problems).

Looks like our only option is to have the front yard dug up, and everything replaced. I'm thinking just a solid brick tank into which everything drains - easier to pump and clean.  Anyone have a recommended contractor to do the work?  and if you have a recent cost in pesos.  Thanks

First, consider the drainage capabilities of the soil in your yard. If it does not drain well, your 'tank' will just fill up and back up frequently.  Few homes are on lots large enough for a proper drainage field, and some remain saturated by runoff from land above them, or by leaks in local water systems, etc.

6 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

First, consider the drainage capabilities of the soil in your yard. If it does not drain well, your 'tank' will just fill up and back up frequently.  Few homes are on lots large enough for a proper drainage field, and some remain saturated by runoff from land above them, or by leaks in local water systems, etc.

Soil is clay based so it will only saturate so much which I think is my grey water problem.  Most of the houses being built around me have solid brick cubes that are sealed inside for septic systems. No holes or creative leaching.

It sounds like a very poor drainage situation, which may require regular pumping until you succeed in selling the place and making a smarter move to a home with a sewer connection.  Otherwise, you could spend really big bucks for a small, backyard treatment plant.  I doubt you will do that!   ☹️

21 minutes ago, WideSky said:

We have had our 'tank'/hole in the ground pumped in the last couple of months as the kitchen and laundry drains ran slow then backed up. I snaked (25' no evidence of blockage snake comes out clean), used Drano, even put the garden hose in (yes I can get it in about 15-20').  Two months later it's starting again. I suspect we have a 'grey water' pit and also 'tank' for the bathrooms (as they never back up or cause problems).

Looks like our only option is to have the front yard dug up, and everything replaced. I'm thinking just a solid brick tank into which everything drains - easier to pump and clean.  Anyone have a recommended contractor to do the work?  and if you have a recent cost in pesos.  Thanks

Make a extra septic tank only for the gray water, conecta a 4" or 6" pvc pipe, to the septic tank to the New for the gray water, and you're never goint to have that problema, I did't in my septic in Riveras. If you need the info of my contract, I can send you. Suerte. 

Sounds like you may not have such a bad problem.  If you have two tanks simply use biodegradable soap and buy a small submergible pump.  Every few months water your lawn with the grey water.  Saves on water usage and is easy to do. 

10 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Sounds like you may not have such a bad problem.  If you have two tanks simply use biodegradable soap and buy a small submergible pump.  Every few months water your lawn with the grey water.  Saves on water usage and is easy to do. 

Only problem is I have ONE access point and I ain't stickin' my head in that hole to see. I was making a supposition regarding a grey water pit/drain due to no obstructions.

Whatever solution you decide on, NEVER put cloro, drano, or chemicals of any kind down your drains.  If possible, have a plumber or good handyman rig your lavadora (washing machine) to drain to the street or other discreet location. The amount of water added from usual usage is enough to overburden most systems that drain slowly (all of them!).

Buy some levadura (yeast) and flush 1/4- 1/2c. each month to keep your tank "digesting". Use of chemicals STOPS your system from working!

And the submersible pump idea to drain greywater is a good one. Mine isn't submersible but my handyman rigged a 6' pipe to it and I simply get us very early and let it run for 1/2 hour- 1 hour. Works like a charm. NOT intended for black water, however.

• Like 1