Chapala.com Webboard

Electricity costs of house with.pool

elisabeth

3 hours ago, Go Solar said:

Send me an email or PM, happy to help you in the best way with no cost or obligation.   Multiple posters on this thread are long term very satisfied clients for both pool heating and solar energy.

Sent you a p.m.  Thank you!  I want to find out about the salt option too.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Don't you have to have non metallic plumbing in your pool to use a salt system?

Schedule 40 PVC and plastic valves work just fine for salt water pools. The maintenance is a lot easier normally only needing to adjust pH and maybe small amounts of chlorine and shock if there is a lot of rain. 

A 220 volt variable speed pump such as one made by Pentair consumes very little electricity although the up front cost is pretty steep. Speeds can range from 1,300 RPM to 3,400 RPM with the low end consuming about 180 watts per hour.

If you have solar electricity and want warm water, an electric heat pump is a good choice. It doesn't matter whether it's sunny or cloudy you can get the temp to whatever you want pretty quickly. A 140,000 BTU unit does consume about 8kWh per hour but after the pool is warm and covered after usage it only takes an hour or so to reheat in the morning.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 9:52 AM, elisabeth said:

We're looking at buying a house with a.pool. I've never had a pool so had.no idea what you have to do to maintain it. When I saw past electric bills I almost backed out straight away since.running the pool pump shoots the house.into high usage. Our realtor says you have to run the pump 4-5 hours per day and his bills are similar.  Water aerobics has been great for my health but i pool membership would be much less.

Other than installing whole house solar, are there ways to keep electric costs down?  Have people had sucess metering the pool separately?  I'm told.we.can ask but I can't see any reason why the electric company would agree.  Any advice appreciated.

Elisabeth- Carla from the Legion here- Don't delay, contact Ron from Go Solar ASAP.  We have a small house and no pool, but a simple and not very costly solar installation by STI is saving us an average of $3,000/mo.

Other companies wanted to install twice the equipment at twice the cost, taking twice as long to recoup our installation costs! Ron is great to deal with, extremely knowledgeable, his crew was the best. Look at solar hot water, too. We love ours and again, the savings in gas start immediately and are substantial.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chapalence said:

Elisabeth- Carla from the Legion here- Don't delay, contact Ron from Go Solar ASAP.  We have a small house and no pool, but a simple and not very costly solar installation by STI is saving us an average of $3,000/mo.

Other companies wanted to install twice the equipment at twice the cost, taking twice as long to recoup our installation costs! Ron is great to deal with, extremely knowledgeable, his crew was the best. Look at solar hot water, too. We love ours and again, the savings in gas start immediately and are substantial.

Agree.  We have a system from them, we did have some problems with the original microinverters which was promptly handled and the replacements were an upgrade, actually improved our power production by 3-5 percent.

Now if I could just figure out where to put solar hot water up there without screwing up my upstairs mirador.

As a related mention, CFE has "wised up" to the two meters on one property and no longer provides them for casitas.    About the only way it could happen is to have two actual deeds of two separate lots that happen to be common / joint.      They have also pushed back strongly on giving 2 solar services, for two meters on the "same" property that are in the same name, FYI.      The good part is that it has never been more cost effective to install solar net metering systems, our area is pretty much the "perfect storm" in terms of the great sun, high energy costs, and low system costs.

3 hours ago, elisabeth said:

Sent you a p.m.  Thank you!  I want to find out about the salt option too.

My pool was salt water. After awhile I found I had to buy a salinity meter to keep close taps on the salt level as the panel that registered the salt level was very slow to adjust to changes. I would do a salt water pool again. 

40 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

As a related mention, CFE has "wised up" to the two meters on one property and no longer provides them for casitas.    About the only way it could happen is to have two actual deeds of two separate lots that happen to be common / joint.      They have also pushed back strongly on giving 2 solar services, for two meters on the "same" property that are in the same name, FYI.      The good part is that it has never been more cost effective to install solar net metering systems, our area is pretty much the "perfect storm" in terms of the great sun, high energy costs, and low system costs.

I was wondering if CFE would do that with second meters. In my case my architect took a picture showing that the house and casita were separate buildings and talked CFE into giving us another meter. He was a good sweet talker and CFE can be flexible.

“See if separate meter for the casita will hold costs down I think only if we can put either the pool or the laundry on the casita bill). Solar just for the pool, both heater and pump.”

Before making decisions please ascertain if a separate meter can be installed on that specific property. Sometimes CFE does not allow it for various reasons. A friend rented a house with a pool and very high electric bills. The property manager said the owners were going to install a separate meter for pool and pool house. CFE said no second meter for you.  

On 1/15/2020 at 10:10 AM, lakeside7 said:

Maybe  a second  meter to run the pool pump

The DAC is not helping "poor folk" we subsidizing the people  who are illegally  conected

I gave a "like" for the 'second meter comment to run the pool pump.'  I did that and it dropped me out of DAC.  I tried to add a  second meter in Ajijic but no luck.  In Joco a few years later, there was no problem with a second meter add.  Go figure.

The other comment about the "poor folk" who are illegally connected ??  

I do not know any Mexicans who steal electricity but I personally know 6 Americans and Canadians with puentes installed in their meters to bypass the meter and hence free electricity.  They certainly are not "poor folk",  just cheap asses.  All of them could easily afford a solar system.

After one of the Americans was caught with the puente in his meter, he paid a hefty fine, 20,000 Pesos.  So he waited until his neighbor left town for vacation.  He dug a trench to the neighbor's house and illegally connected for electricity and water to run his pool pump.  How would you like to live next to that guy?  

8 minutes ago, Kiko said:

I gave a "like" for the 'second meter comment to run the pool pump.'  I did that and it dropped me out of DAC.  I tried to add a  second meter in Ajijic but no luck.  In Joco a few years later, there was no problem with a second meter add.  Go figure.

The other comment about the "poor folk" who are illegally connected ??  

I do not know any Mexicans who steal electricity but I personally know 6 Americans and Canadians with puentes installed in their meters to bypass the meter and hence free electricity.  They certainly are not "poor folk",  just cheap asses.  All of them could easily afford a solar system.

After one of the Americans was caught with the puente in his meter, he paid a hefty fine, 20,000 Pesos.  So he waited until his neighbor left town for vacation.  He dug a trench to the neighbor's house and illegally connected for electricity and water to run his pool pump.  How would you like to live next to that guy?  

Amazing story, I guess you Trump my hand..but wait I did not say Mexicans were stealing electricity...but we all have stories to tell, a few years back a epidemic of stealing meters in Reberas....I guess some weird Gringo has a house full of "trophy 's"

When we installed a second meter on the pool and garden lot we found out the hotel down the road had ther private water line on the other side of the street and our house was connected to it as well. we ended up with an 8000 pesos bll for the first 2 months as the meter was registrring their use as well. The water company give us credit and move out line over to the other side and cut off the hotel  but it is interesting what you find out when you look closer..

• Like 1

Electricity theft cost the CFE 3.65 billion pesos (US $187.6 million) between January and May, an amount that equates to a loss of approximately 16,690 pesos (US $860) per minute. ... Almost 11,600 cases of electricity theft were detected in México state, over 2,000 more than in Tabasco.Sep 23, 2019
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmh said:

When we installed a second meter on the pool and garden lot we found out the hotel down the road had ther private water line on the other side of the street and our house was connected to it as well. we ended up with an 8000 pesos bll for the first 2 months as the meter was registrring their use as well. The water company give us credit and move out line over to the other side and cut off the hotel  but it is interesting what you find out when you look closer..

No kidding. When I bought my little house, I found that my neighbour (the seller) had hooked into both my water and electricity. They are now cut off. I also found out why I had TWO different water taps just inside my courtyard... one was coming off MY water line into the house but the other was coming off my OTHER neighbour's water line. I had the latter capped and showed them.

After ths happened  found out that a gardner is tapping in someone´s else property for the water as well.. Right now the one being tapped pays according to his square meters but if he ever goes on meter he will end up like I did with a huge bill and will have to find out why...

Not sure why anyone would steel water since by law SIMAPA can not cut you off if you have not paid the bill. Its called "Derecho Humano". Where I live there is a total of 66 apartments out which about 40 have never bothered to pay their bill. Its none of my business as the only thing I have taken over and manage is the water forwarding system (pumps, pressure tanks and CFE bill). I do believe however that they can install a flow re stricter.

25 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Not sure why anyone would steel water since by law SIMAPA can not cut you off if you have not paid the bill. Its called "Derecho Humano". Where I live there is a total of 66 apartments out which about 40 have never bothered to pay their bill. Its none of my business as the only thing I have taken over and manage is the water forwarding system (pumps, pressure tanks and CFE bill). I do believe however that they can install a flow re stricter.

Yes if you do not pay they can restrict the flow to about 20%. That supposedly is good for toilet flush and preparing food. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 2:01 PM, chapalence said:

Thanks to your and others' recommendations, I've been 8n touch with Ron who has been wonderfully responsive.

• Thanks 1

Honey Bee.. The barrio where we live in San Cristobal was cut off from water for 2 months.. The water comany cannot cut off the water but they can not pay their electrical  bill and be cut off by CFE  for lack of funds.. so the pumps do not work and the results are the same.. They may not be able to do it but the water company did it for 2 months and published the names of the commercial properties that had not paid.. mostly hotels...Wveryone was blaming the indigenous but the reality was a little different..

The hotel stole water because they claimed they were using their own well and they have a very large property. The reality was that they were using the water from the street rather than from the well for the condos.. My bill proved it.