Chapala.com Webboard

Amazon.com import fees

When I use my Amazon account on the Amazon U.S. website, there are usually import fees tacked on to the final price. When I use the same U.S.-based account on the Amazon Mexico site (amazon.com.mx), I still get import fees tacked on. Why is that? I’d assume that Amazon Mexico ships from warehouses in Mexico and would not charge an import fee. Is it because my account is a U.S.-based account? Should I create a new separate account for Amazon Mexico, using a Mexican phone number or email address?

Nothing to do with where your account is based - you can use your US or Canadian account on the Amazon Mexico site - just add your Mexican shipping address.   When you are on the Amazon Mexico website, items that are located in the US or Canada (or other countries) which do ship to your Mexican address are identified by the word "Importacion" in the item description.  If you purchase one of these, there is a shipping charge that includes the import taxes.

If you want to avoid that, select a product that is in an Amazon Mexico warehouse - usually shipping is free, taxes included in the price and you will get it in 2-3 days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1