Chapala.com Webboard

Hardwood Oil

CHILLIN

I am moving my large, wooden easles to our back deck, building a painting space. It is covered but still open air. They are a red tropical hardwood, but I don't think teak or mahogany What kind of oil would I use to protect them fading and termites? Our gardener used an oil that they use on the farm to protect wooden posts. It works on the rustic wood beams, but is nasty smelling and makes the wood very dark color.

Check with Sherwin Williams, top of the hill going west, lakeside; they did have quite a selection of wood stains but I wasn't looking very closely; perhaps they have a minwax product that would work.

https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/clear-protective-finishes/interior-exterior/minwax-helmsman-spar-urethane

On 1/13/2020 at 2:05 PM, CHILLIN said:

I am moving my large, wooden easles to our back deck, building a painting space. It is covered but still open air. They are a red tropical hardwood, but I don't think teak or mahogany What kind of oil would I use to protect them fading and termites? Our gardener used an oil that they use on the farm to protect wooden posts. It works on the rustic wood beams, but is nasty smelling and makes the wood very dark color.

Sounds like what your gardener is using is used diesel oil- used extensively here. Yes, smells terrible. You might want to use Watco Oil. Home Depot sells it, as well as some paint stores.