Chapala.com Webboard
Sign in to follow this  
Stymiebop Caretakers

In search of US Plated vehicle

Sorry I don't have a vehicle for you, but.....  one should know/understand that a foreign plated vehicle cannot be 'sold' in Mexico..... without jumping through a bunch of hoops, none of which Mexico has a hand in or knowledge of.... unless that vehicle is physically removed from Mexico and taken off the database.  It's part of what was 'promised' when one got the permit, TIP, when originally bringing the vehicle into Mexico. 

If that vehicle is NOT taken off the database at the border, the original owner is still thought to have it in Mexico legal or not and if later something 'bad' happens to/with that vehicle or worse to a person, guess who Mexico will come looking for.

What people do is to buy the U.S. plated car WITH a current valid TIP, get a letter from the owner (and anything else need to show you are authorized to drive the car) and bill of sale AND all the original TIP papers, drive it to the border turn in the TIP papers and leave.  They do not check the driver's ID against the TIP papers, all they want are the originals and to remove the sticker on the spot.

Sometimes you can find a nice deal on a U.S. car here from someone who is trading into a Mexican plated car that way.

Check with Spencer for the exact procedure.

• Like 1

The 'exact procedure' is exactly what you described. The key part of that is having the vehicle at the border to 'turn in/cancel the old TIP'.

The rub after that..... assuming the new 'buyer' actually wants to come back into Mexico quickly with the car.... is how to get a new title/plates so that the person can drive back in. Texas et.al. won't give a person a title unless they have a Texas address.... mail-drop won't work.  

South Dakota will give 'anyone' a title/plate. All one has to have is a valid US address to which they can send the title/plates and future annual registrations. The plates and Registration card will be sent out pronto to that address.... the actual title takes much longer but it is not needed for the TIP... Registration card will suffice. 

I have heard that someone...Spencer?.... might can make all of this happen virtually but I have never questioned him about the process and whether or not it is actually doable or advisable for all concerned. If the process does not include cancelling the old TIP from the database somehow, I'd be especially concerned if I were the former owner.