Chapala.com Webboard

Rosewood In Guitars

Hello all you musicians...

The Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna seeks to control the movement of certain woods and other flora and fauna.

Brazilian Rosewood guitars are particularly susceptible to very close inspection. I own a 50 year Brazilian acoustic guitar and a Gibson with a Rosewood fret board.

Does anyone know if these guitars would be of concern to the Mexican Aduana folks???

2 hours ago, David Rodwell said:

Hello all you musicians...

The Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna seeks to control the movement of certain woods and other flora and fauna.

Brazilian Rosewood guitars are particularly susceptible to very close inspection. I own a 50 year Brazilian acoustic guitar and a Gibson with a Rosewood fret board.

Does anyone know if these guitars would be of concern to the Mexican Aduana folks???

Not to worry. I brought my 1903 Washburn parlor guit with Brazilian rosewood back and was not even looked at.

washburn.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kiko said:

Be sure to visit Paracho, Michoacan in early August for the International Guitar Festival.  Or anytime of the year.  You won't be disappointed.

I have heard it's a must go place!! The festival sound pretty fab!

Just how good a guitar do they make there???

9 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Do you really think an Aduano agent can identify the difference between Brazilian and Indonesian rosewood or know what the  wood types are period.

I agree...some guy working the night shift would have no idea and probably care less....but...

There are horror stories in the EU about guitars seized and tied up for long periods of time!!

1 hour ago, David Rodwell said:

I have heard it's a must go place!! The festival sound pretty fab!

Just how good a guitar do they make there???

Michoacán, el alma de México.  Everyone just about is in the guitar business there.  You need to hunt to find the best though.  

12 hours ago, dencol said:

CITES has removed this ban on Nov. 26th 2019. It all depends if customs are up to date with this removal ban.

Impressive...I looked it up! You are right on the money...my mind is at ease!

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

My concern would not be what Mexico thinks on import. Mine would be getting it back into the US without the requisite documentation. Yes, they can tell the difference.

I will watch this tomorrow but the CITES document I read appears to exempt musical instruments...is that incorrect??

Read it again. It says:

"The restrictions on Brazilian rosewood, whose endangered species status and restrictions predate those on other kinds of rosewood, remain in place."

Source: https://reverb.com/news/cites-restrictions-on-musical-instruments-could-be-coming-to-an-end

8 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Read it again. It says:

"The restrictions on Brazilian rosewood, whose endangered species status and restrictions predate those on other kinds of rosewood, remain in place."

Source: https://reverb.com/news/cites-restrictions-on-musical-instruments-could-be-coming-to-an-end

Read your citation from Reverb...it appears the industry is happy and it appears the changes that made that way came later...I marked the relevant passages. Am I reading it wrong?

==========================================================================================================

On August 28, 2019, (this is August) the Conference on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES) in Geneva, Switzerland voted to exempt finished musical instruments, parts, and accessories from CITES restrictions on all rosewood species except Brazilian rosewood. The restrictions on Brazilian rosewood, whose endangered species status and restrictions predate those on other kinds of rosewood, remain in place.

As of November 26, 2019 (and this is after the August 28th), the exemption for musical instruments is now in effect, according to the CITES convention. The US Fish and Wildlife Service will no longer issue permits for the export of finished musical instruments, parts, and accessories, bringing an end to much of the headaches that have plagued the musical instruments industry for the last several years.

39 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I read differently than you it seems and would surely get competent advice beyond this forum before I would risk the instrument.

Speak for yourself. Not only have I owned antique and vintage stringed instrument,I bought and sold them in the US and Canada  to dealers and musicians.

19 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Speak for yourself. Not only have I owned antique and vintage stringed instrument,I bought and sold them in the US and Canada  to dealers and musicians.

I was speaking for myself. My collection of four Martins include a Madagascar rosewood custom D-28, so what?

32 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I was speaking for myself. My collection of four Martins include a Madagascar rosewood custom D-28, so what?

I guess you couldn't afford the custom D-28 that was special order Brazil rosewood that you would have had to wait for at least 5 years and you apparently don't consider some of us on this forum able to give competent advice. I beg to differ  speaking for myself.