Chapala.com Webboard

Driver from Ajijic to Laredo--cross the border w/2 pets?

kimanjome

(apologies if this is the wrong place...unsure whether here of Customs and Immigration)

I'm trying to come up with a way to get myself and my 2 big, oversized cats in big crates across the border to Laredo, where I can then get a cab to take me to the Laredo Airport and I can pick up a rental car to drive myself and the 2 felines to Florida. I just can't see myself trying to lug 2 crates, each with a 20 pound cat inside, through US immigration. I suppose I could stack them on a dolly or a luggage trolley, if I could find one....

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that 25-mile border zone "thing" into the US allow certain Mexicans to get into Laredo with no hassles?  

I know of Mexican drivers here who will make the run as far as the border, but I've never asked if they can actually cross. I did speak with one who is a dual US citizen but he would only drive my car, and I won't have my car. 

Suggestions welcome.

3 hours ago, kimanjome said:

(apologies if this is the wrong place...unsure whether here of Customs and Immigration)

I'm trying to come up with a way to get myself and my 2 big, oversized cats in big crates across the border to Laredo, where I can then get a cab to take me to the Laredo Airport and I can pick up a rental car to drive myself and the 2 felines to Florida. I just can't see myself trying to lug 2 crates, each with a 20 pound cat inside, through US immigration. I suppose I could stack them on a dolly or a luggage trolley, if I could find one....

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that 25-mile border zone "thing" into the US allow certain Mexicans to get into Laredo with no hassles?  

I know of Mexican drivers here who will make the run as far as the border, but I've never asked if they can actually cross. I did speak with one who is a dual US citizen but he would only drive my car, and I won't have my car. 

Suggestions welcome.

Look on FB for Catherine Clare Blythe (spelling may be wrong).  She is the admin of Gringos Ajijic.

She's made the run many times and pet friendly.

• Like 1

Take a bus.  Take a cab/van from the bus station in Nuevo Laredo to Laredo airport to pick up rental car. There are people at the bus station to help you load the cages into a taxi van.  The driver can help you at the airport.   I do that twice a year.   If the cats are in cages it probably won't be a problem.  Bus stops 3 times on the way there.  The travel agency in Chapala near the main stop light should be able to give you advice about the cats on the bus. When I went in October,  a large German shepherd was put in the luggage compartment in a cage.  If you have paper work for the cats, the taxi should be able to drive right through customs without you having to go in to the building.  Worse case, they waive you over right after customs officer and inspect the cages.   I watched the person with the German shepherd load it onto a taxi van. They were foreigners going to the U.S. also. 

Edited by ibarra
Forgot something

7 hours ago, exyyz said:

I would not put any living thing in the luggage compartment of a bus.

when i rode the bus, they told me the animals must be sedated.  so i didnt take my dog.  But yes we took a taxi across the border from Ojinaga into Presidio and she drove us to the bus station in the states