Chapala.com Webboard

MESH

gringal

I make chicken and duck soap a lot in a Dutch oven. When done I take the giblets and meat ,bones,etc out  with a pierced plastic ladle onto a cutting board, when cool enough to handle I cut giblets,remove skin and meat from bones and put back in broth except skin and bones and reheat. Never used a bag. Learned this from my European mother. I will be making a batch soon from the Xmas pato parts.

10 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

I make chicken and duck soap a lot in a Dutch oven. When done I take the giblets and meat ,bones,etc out  with a pierced plastic ladle onto a cutting board, when cool enough to handle I cut giblets,remove skin and meat from bones and put back in broth except skin and bones and reheat. Never used a bag. Learned this from my European mother. I will be making a batch soon from the Xmas pato parts.

That works, but I prefer the bag method.  I'm lazier than you.😉

Mesh works for that and (omigod) I've thrown away the mesh  rather than wash it.

This is the one I have... but a spaghetti/pasta pot that I used to have, had the strainer that fit inside the pot completely. Then you just had to lift out the "inside" strainer out slowly... which would negate having to lift anything heavy or require another pot. Like this one (I chose it to show you the two pieces but there is one that costs four dollars more with safety covered handles)...both ship to Mexico. https://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Edge-03824-Multicooker-4-Quart/dp/B00G9TENMM/ref=sr_1_13?crid=LJQBYK5EMSG4&keywords=pasta+pot+with+strainer+insert&qid=1578674619&sprefix=pasta+pot+with+strainer+insert%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-13

20200110_103604.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I0K3Z3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wrap"N Boil Bags - 8 Ct (3 Pack) total 24 soup Bags

$10.99 + No Import Fees Deposit & $8.77 Shipping to Mexico 

• Landau Wrap "N Boil Bags - 8 Ct (3 Pack) total 24 soup Bags
  • Food mess saver, Reduces Kitchen Mess, makes Cooking Easier, Clean, Convenient, Eliminates Straining, saves time & effort
  • 100% cotton and KOSHER FOR PASSOVER
  • Wrap "N Boil Bag will expand to approx. 1/2 gallon size
  • Makes individual servings easy

714k-XjQbbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Sad 1

After straining the stock / broth I usually put the bones etc . back in the pot with a cup or two of water and bring to a quick simmer for a minute or two and strain again .This helps collect the collagen and meat particles  stuck to the bones .

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:22 AM, happyjillin said:

I would find a screen too fine. This leaves the small bits in the broth which is what I want.

plastic ladle.jpg

2 hours ago, gringal said:

Thanks for the information.  I'm just a little too "thrifty" to pay $19.76 for throwaway bags.😎

The spaghetti pot will have to do.

Welcome.  The cool thing about ordering from amazon is that if you added this onto another order, the extra shipping might only be as much as an additional dollar.  24 bags last a very long time, and come out to very little per bag/use over time.  But then again, I do not make chicken soup every month, so that 24 bag supply lasts.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, MexLuis said:

Welcome.  The cool thing about ordering from amazon is that if you added this onto another order, the extra shipping might only be as much as an additional dollar.  24 bags last a very long time, and come out to very little per bag/use over time.  But then again, I do not make chicken soup every month, so that 24 bag supply lasts.

From the description of these bags, my best guess is that they are not intended for re-use.  If so, they aren't a "thrifty solution" and I would be making soup fairly often. Washable spoon or pot much more so.

22 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

After straining the stock / broth I usually put the bones etc . back in the pot with a cup or two of water and bring to a quick simmer for a minute or two and strain again .This helps collect the collagen and meat particles  stuck to the bones .

I add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar while cooking the broth and it helps dissolve the collagen making a gelatinous broth. It doesn't make the soup sour either....

• Thanks 1

So I  made my duck soup yesterday and we had it for dinner and there was enough for 3 more meals to put in the freezer. Fotos show the whole parts in the dutch oven.,then piled on cutting board and waste bones etc. in lid and the rest is the good parts cut to size to go back in broth and noodles added in bowls later.

EDIT:Basic spices are sage,garlic powder,Hys salt ,Lawrys pepper. Then I look at what other spices we have to add to those. My soups are never the same.

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

5 hours ago, happyjillin said:

EDIT:Basic spices are sage,garlic powder,Hys salt ,Lawrys pepper. Then I look at what other spices we have to add to those. My soups are never the same.

Could you tell us what Hys salt is?  Thanks!