Chapala.com Webboard

Lip Sync Performance

lakeside7

This afternoon I was invited by a friend to attend the Lip Sync Song and Dance show to Benefit The Auditorium Improvement.

I guess my expectations were based on the Lip Sync shows put on by Rubin and J.C? 15 or so years ago.

At the start of the show Director Michael McLaughlin (do I have that name correctly, there were no programs) boasted that this was the largest yet number of performers...well it would have been better if half of them were put back into the cupboard as they were well past their use by date.

Michael added to the confused performance as he continued to awkwardly come forward to announce the next perforformers and then more awkwardly retire, crossing in front of the next performers.

There were no stage sets or backdrop to support or enhance those few talented people. It was like playing in a large empty flight hanger.

For some reason the  background   musical accompaniment  seemed to be away in the distance and not close to the performers

Kudos to the polished younger and talented dancers 

On reflection I would have prefered to buy a raffle ticket for 300 pesos with the chance of wining a dinner .

Sadly, with the exception of a few performers, this this show  was neither polished or slick 

Lastly please do not tell me these people are amateurs...... a bunch of people  taking part in an activity for pleasure.

Conclusion; With the right direction/producer the show could have been a winner

• Sad 8

Let’s see. A group of amateurs put on a performance to raise money for a worthy cause and you are moved to play critic after the first of three performances? What are you hoping to accomplish? Depress ticket sales so they make less money? Insult as many people as possible in one post? Discourage other community members from attending what has always been sold as a fun event, not a professional presentation? Next time do everyone a favor and stay home. Please.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Xena said:

Let’s see. A group of amateurs put on a performance to raise money for a worthy cause and you are moved to play critic after the first of three performances? What are you hoping to accomplish? Depress ticket sales so they make less money? Insult as many people as possible in one post? Discourage other community members from attending what has always been sold as a fun event, not a professional presentation? Next time do everyone a favor and stay home. Please.

Thank you Xena. As one of the performers I was offended by lakeside7s post. Everyone puts in a tremendous amount of time and energy for LipSync. Michael is a wonderful person and does his absolute best. There's a reason for no programs. They cost money that can be put to better use and since the auditorio is mostly dark people can't read them anyway. That post was definitely uncalled for. IMO it served no purpose except to be mean and hurtful.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

This afternoon I was invited by a friend to attend the Lip Sync Song and Dance show to Benefit The Auditorium Improvement.

I guess my expectations were based on the Lip Sync shows put on by Rubin and J.C? 15 or so years ago.

At the start of the show Director Michael McLaughlin (do I have that name correctly, there were no programs) boasted that this was the largest yet number of performers...well it would have been better if half of them were put back into the cupboard as they were well past their use by date.

Michael added to the confused performance as he continued to awkwardly come forward to announce the next perforformers and then more awkwardly retire, crossing in front of the next performers.

There were no stage sets or backdrop to support or enhance those few talented people. It was like playing in a large empty flight hanger.

For some reason the  background   musical accompaniment  seemed to be away in the distance and not close to the performers

Kudos to the polished younger and talented dancers 

On reflection I would have prefered to buy a raffle ticket for 300 pesos with the chance of wining a dinner .

Sadly, with the exception of a few performers, this this show  was neither polished or slick 

Lastly please do not tell me these people are amateurs...... a bunch of people  taking part in an activity for pleasure.

Conclusion; With the right direction/producer the show could have been a winner

lakeside7- What a nasty post.

Didn't your mother ever tell you "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gogirl said:

Thank you Xena. As one of the performers I was offended by lakeside7s post. Everyone puts in a tremendous amount of time and energy for LipSync. Michael is a wonderful person and does his absolute best. There's a reason for no programs. They cost money that can be put to better use and since the auditorio is mostly dark people can't read them anyway. That post was definitely uncalled for. IMO it served no purpose except to be mean and hurtful.

“... it served no purpose...” really says it all, gogirl. 

• Like 2

Wow......just wow.  I'm with Xena and Gogirl.  That was mean spirited and only serves to try to hurt the fundraising efforts for improvements to the Auditorio which all use.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, exyyz said:

Wow......just wow.  I'm with Xena and Gogirl.  That was mean spirited and only serves to try to hurt the fundraising efforts for improvements to the Auditorio which all use.

I know one of the performers and heard how hard they've worked to put this together.  They aren't professional performers for the most part, and the expectations of the audience should reflect that. This isn't the Emperor having no clothes kind of situation. Nobody is pretending "Emperor-ness" in the first place. A little kindness would be in order.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The OP can't be THAT bad. He said he would have kicked in the $300 P for a raffle ticket rather than sitting through the performance. The prevalence of political correctness has resulted in people's skin becoming thinner and thinner.  Mine is not, I don't take it personally whatever anyone says about my opinion.

YMMV

4 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

The OP can't be THAT bad. He said he would have kicked in the $300 P for a raffle ticket rather than sitting through the performance. The prevalence of political correctness has resulted in people's skin becoming thinner and thinner.  Mine is not, I don't take it personally whatever anyone says about my opinion.

YMMV

Why am I not surprised that you consider not going out of your way to hurt other people something to be mocked and sneered at? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Some posters just have a bad hair day once in a while.  I dunno, I don't care. Not my problem.

Some people see life as a half glass empty, others as a half glass full.  I tend to think like an engineer, the glass is the wrong size so just pass the bottle and forget about the glass.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Xena said:

Why am I not surprised that you consider not going out of your way to hurt other people something to be mocked and sneered at? 

Agree or disagree...I always enjoy your posts.

I personally did not think the OP mocked or sneered at anyone. He did give a detailed negative review. If giving a negative review is "going out of one's way" there are a lot of critics that are in deep do-do. Some people also regard giving only winners trophies rather than for "participation" is a no-no, but not me.

Regards

Pappy

4 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Agree or disagree...I always enjoy your posts.

I personally did not think the OP mocked or sneered at anyone. He did give a detailed negative review. If giving a negative review is "going out of one's way" there are a lot of critics that are in deep do-do. Some people also regard giving only winners trophies rather than for "participation" is a no-no, but not me.

Regards

Pappy

A) The OP is not a professional critic. He’s just a local yahoo like the rest of us. (B)  The OP did not need to say anything (that is, he “went out of his way”) to offer his opinion on an an amateur fund-raising event. C. I was not referring to the OP as mocking and sneering. I meant you. 

I can not say I always enjoy your posts but I mostly do. You also are a good sparring partner. So, thank you for that.

8 hours ago, Jreboll said:

How about keeping quiet?

That´s the best advice and even a big mouth opinionated person like me can do.

Pappy, I can´t believe you have been married so long that you always avoid "political correctness" with the spouse or even other friends and acquaintances at times.  :D  This is a case of shut up and move on, nothing served by being a negative critic of something as innocuous and non harmful to the public domain as this little endeavor.

This makes the complainers about pot holes, garbage pick up, and topes look really high minded.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

To the OP,

Now you know so, please, next time just buy a ticket and don't go. It's a fundraiser with the emphasis on FUN and I sincerely hope that others, who expect perfection, will do the same and that you have not affected the fundraising capabilities.

• Like 7

Haha, it's all in good fun here. If just one person had disagreed with the OP and posted a positive review perhaps more would have done so and effectively cancelled out the one bad. But no...it was a pig pile on the OP for daring to say his opinion, which was the performance was not really good. We're not talking about criticizing a 6th grade play here. All adults and he paid good money, which regardless where it went, was not just a solicitation of a donation. I simply felt, and still do, that he was being shamed for daring to post such an opinion. Nothing more and nothing less. I obviously didn't attend and have never been near the Auditorio and don't usually agree with the OP on most things but felt someone needed to stick up for the principle.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1