Chapala.com Webboard

where to find pesticide spray for mango flower wasps

Where can I find pesticide spray, preferably relatively bird non-toxic, for mango flower wasps? My mango has begun flowering early and I need to spray the flowers before the gusanos overtake the young mango fruits.  Is there a place in Chapala that sells the spray? Or, failing that, Ajijic.  Thanks.

I need this too, but I also need someone to go up a ladder to spray. Our gardener is strictly ground level. Maybe one of the pesticide companies?

Edit Wow, this got complicated real fast. I don't know how to link a pdf file on kindle fire, but the google hit is "field guide to non-chemical pest management in mango production -oisat"

I think I will just buy a couple boxes when they are in season. I prefer the greenish ones anyway. Besides, someone always thinks fruit in that part of our yard is fair game, cleaning out the whole tree overnight. Let them find all the worms.

I always had problems with leaf cutting ants going after the Mango flower buds. Tree tangle foot stopped that. I was told you have to put a number of different sprays (too many) to stop the worms appearing in the fruit.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:36 PM, Natasha said:

I was told by a Mexican gardener many years ago that unless every single tree in your entire square block is sprayed,     doing your tree is a waste of time and money. That's apparently one reason they aren't grown commercially here now.

That seems unlkely. Every flower that is sprayed prevents a wasp worm from entering a young mango fruit thus giving you a worm-free mango. I`ve experienced this with my mango for 3 years.  

5 hours ago, cedros said:

I always had problems with leaf cutting ants going after the Mango flower buds. Tree tangle foot stopped that. I was told you have to put a number of different sprays (too many) to stop the worms appearing in the fruit.

No, my gardener has always used one spray and I`ve had 75% worm-free mangos for 3 years.  My problem this year is my gardener has disappeared so I`m trying to find the spray myself.

I'm sure the agricultural supply stores on the old exit road (Vincente Guerrero) to the Morelia high in Jocotepec would have it. They carry just about everything.

3 hours ago, cedros said:

I'm sure the agricultural supply stores on the old exit road (Vincente Guerrero) to the Morelia high in Jocotepec would have it. They carry just about everything.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

there is a agricultural store in Chapala 1 block North of the soccer field and a 1 block West nice folks some english

Yes, but not a very large selection of stuff

10 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

Hmm seems fairly large to me. they serve my needs nicely .

No comparison to the much larger selection in Jocotepec.

1 hour ago, cedros said:

No comparison to the much larger selection in Jocotepec.

ceros is right. Jocotepec is an agricultural economy there are many supply stores. Even the sprayers equipment and advice. I live here and shop them often. 

What is worse finding a worm in your mango? Finding half a worm. Ha! Old joke. 

Got my Melacoton peach tree today. These are the famous peaches from the Aragon region of Spain. They are grafted onto a quince/membrillo root ball, so should grow well. The peach fruit is covered in a bag when young, for two months. This farmer from New Zealand also bags his mangoes. Sounds like good idea to me. One worker should be able to bag a mango tree within one day. It also stops fallen fruit, which can deliver a significant thump.