Chapala.com Webboard

Gracias translation

I've been to coastal Mexico many times over the years and have always learned that Gracias means thank-you. 

Today I was emailing Luis Miramontes, in english, about scheduling some transportation with him. In the last of our emails I said Gracias Luis, thinking I was thanking him in his native tongue, spanish. 

He replied that Gracias means yes or not, or maybe. I've learnt that yes is si, and no is no. Not sure what to make of this.

Is there another dialect of Spanish spoken inland that is going to make me question all I've learned about the language to date.

Friends of ours who had no Spanish at all, took a big group to Cuba for a family wedding.    They were convinced it was the name of the strong rum drinks they had there.....not in the least due to, as when they could no longer stand up, they wound up with a "grassy-a**"

🍹

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

As in any language, it is inflection, facial expression, and body language.                                                                                             

All of which cannot be deciphered in an email.

• Like 4

Sr. Miramontes and Mostlylost are correct. The culture in Mexico is exceedingly polite and folks go to great lengths to avoid saying the word "no".  It follows that the phrase "no thank you" is rarely used.  Instead you hear a grateful-sounding "gracias" (thank you) when you offer someone something they do not wish to accept.  Similarly, if you invite someone to a party next Tuesday they may respond with a polite "gracias" meaning "thank you for the invitation, I may attend" so as not to offend you by appearing to treat your invitation with indifference.  As with many other matters, context is everything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Just like adios when used passing someone on the street is just  acknowledging the person but no time for chat. hello/goodbye. Politeness reigns.

Yes, "adios"  "adios"

Go with God

Politeness rules

Language s funny.  southern France we say adieu  like the Mexicans say adios. it is used as a greeting.. hello no time to speak , but in the north when we say adieu it is for ever. meaning you probably will only see the other person up in paradise orin hell so withn the same culture and the same country the word has two different meaning.  It is why translating is so difficult, if you do not understand and know the culture.  Translating word for word often does not convery the meaning of what is really being said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmh said:

Language s funny.  southern France we say adieu  like the Mexicans say adios. it is used as a greeting.. hello no time to speak , but in the north when we say adieu it is for ever. meaning you probably will only see the other person up in paradise orin hell so withn the same culture and the same country the word has two different meaning.  It is why translating is so difficult, if you do not understand and know the culture.  Translating word for word often does not convery the meaning of what is really being said.

Adios

22 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Gracias normally means thank you, but it can also mean I am not interested. 

Example; a vendor approaches you and offers you an xxx. A native speaker will reply "gracias". That means no.. but thanks for offering.

A non native speaker would say "no gracias" or no thanks.

I usually respond to someone selling something or asking for charity, if I do not wish to purchase or contribute, with......

"¡ Gracias  Señpr, Señora, niño, etc., otro día !"...…...so as not to shut the door completely, forever for the act of politeness.