Chapala.com Webboard

Can't find password for new Telmex high speed modem

When they installed my new high speed modem (I signed up for 30 speed) I had troubles.  After an hour on the phone with Telmex techies, they told me how to change the InfinitumB19E modem name to TELMEX.  And it's worked fine.  Now, a couple months later, I want to add a new computer and the WPA on the B19E modem doesn't work.  I'm not sure if the techie gave me a new password at that time, but I can't add any other laptop to the TELMEX wi-fi.  I've tried calling Telmex and they've disconnected from me FIVE times.  Any other ideas?  I have a new roomie who I can't connect to my internet.  Thanks. Blue

Hard to say from afar Blue, but.....  with the new computer can it 'see' the modem when one goes to your 'setting/Internet' wifi area?  Is it called 'TELMEX' or the old name like 'B19E'?  Usually the password to Telmex modems in written on the 'back/label'.... does that not work?  

Probably your only choice is to effect a call to the Telmex telephone  long distance staff or have a computer expert come to your house. 

If you stick a pin in the reset hole in the back of the modem for 30 or 40 seconds, the original SSID (network name) and password will be reinstated. Takes about 5 minutes for the device to reset itself. Once that is working, then you can consider how to customize it.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

If you stick a pin in the reset hole in the back of the modem for 30 or 40 seconds, the original SSID (network name) and password will be reinstated. Takes about 5 minutes for the device to reset itself. Once that is working, then you can consider how to customize it.

When Telmex installed my internet here in Morelia, the tech warned me about changing the password for the modem.  He said it could potentially cause big problems for the user.  My password is on a label on the front of my modem, not the back, directly under the numbers that identify the B19E modem.  I have to look at it every time I need it, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

• Like 2

Sure, he probably is fed up with trying to teach the basics to non-computer people. They deal with so many. I can't tell you how many customers every single week cannot remember their passwords for anything, because they never wrote it down, or didn't update their list when it had to be changed. The procedures for getting them reinstated are very trying. And for a tech on the end of the line to have to repeat how to reset the thing, then sit there for 5 or 6 minutes while you both wait to get started again... you can imagine.

That makes the password changes in a TelMex modem the friendliest and easiest ever. Still, for those who don't want to get into the modem settings, it is daunting. But have no fear. That RESET step clears it all up. The labels are either on the front or the back depending on which model of modem you get.

The word INFINITUM followed by a number are the Network Identifiers for every single TelMex modem. The WiFi password is always a mix of letters and numbers. I change my password to a simple series of numbers, for a very good reason: Easy to remember when guests come over, and VERY easy to enter into "Smart" devices like TVs... when you have to put in 10 digits using a remote control and an onscreen keyboard, it's a blessing to not have to jump all around the screen avoiding mistakes. Others change their SSID (Network Identifier) to something like "Policia #5" to scare off neighbourhood WiFi thieves. (which is ridiculous, because a: why would there be a police outlet in the middle of your neighbourhood, and b: the money and effort and software tools it takes to sit outside someone's house with a laptop to steal their WiFi... well, it just doesn't make sense).

To sum up, you can change your modem password as often as you like. It does not affect usage.

• Like 1