Chapala.com Webboard

Mexicans CarJacked and Killed near border

RickS

The Nuevo Laredo is a hot-bed of cartel shootings lately, Cuidad Victoria to the border is cartel country and has been for a long time and Matamoros is full of cartel trouble.  How is one to get over the border?

Sorry--I thought C. Mier was much closer to 97 between C. Victoria and Reynosa.  I agree, they should not have been on that road. 

42 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

I don’t know why the article shows a picture of the road going to Cd Victoria when the killings happened west of Cd Mier on a lonely, isolated road. 

I noticed that also. Probably because it was the only 'file photo' they had and most people won't know that the picture was not relevant to the story. Relevance is often not a criteria for news stories... affect is.

• Like 2

Also I seem to recall seeing something about it being late at night when this happened.  Mexicans need to avoid traveling at night just as we do.  The U.S. plates helped make these folks a target as well.

Very sad.  This country doesn't appear to be going in the right direction these days.  You have to wonder about a government spending billions on a tourist train while the roads rot and crime grows steadily worse.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jreboll said:

You have to wonder what the hell they were doing on that road. If they were visiting SLP there was no reason to be driving through there.  

Other reports say they were Mexicans, (traveling from the USA) ... visiting their families in Mexico ... including family in SLP.
:(

**Edited to improve factual clarity. :)

I read this, this morning from CBS News:

"

Ciudad Victoria, Tamaulipas, Mexico — An American family returning to the U.S. after a holiday visit to Mexico came under attack just south of Texas on Saturday night, with armed gunmen killing a 13-year-old U.S. citizen and wounding four relatives. A U.S. State Department official told CBS News two of the wounded are American citizens.

The official didn't identify any of the victims. The State Department was monitoring the investigation into the attack, the official said.

The family was traveling in two vehicles. They were attacked on a two-lane highway paralleling the U.S.-Mexico border in the township of Ciudad Mier.

One SUV of attackers passed the family and then cut them off, causing them to collide and come to a halt. Gunmen then opened fire, according to a statement from the state of Tamaulipas security coordinating group.

All of the wounded came from one of the family's vehicles, both of which had Oklahoma license plates. The gunmen escaped in another vehicle.

A 10-year-old relative was among those wounded. On Sunday, authorities listed the wounded as in stable condition.

The family was returning to the U.S. after spending the holidays in the central Mexico state of San Luis Potosi. What remained unclear was why the family was on such a dangerous stretch of highway after dark.

The highway on which they were shot is considered high risk. It runs through an area that's disputed by criminal groups, including the Gulf Cartel and Zetas. The road connects the city of Mier with Nueva Ciudad Guerrero, on the banks of the Rio Grande across the U.S.-Mexico border from Falcon Heights, Texas.

El Diario reported that the attackers were drug traffickers with the Cártel del Noreste (the Northeast Cartel), a Zetas splinter group. Photographs from Saturday night's crime scene showed the cartel's initials — "CDN" — scrawled on the back window of one of the vehicles.

3 hours ago, Jreboll said:

Let’s not forget Italy (and probably other countries) have had long standing problems with mafias. It seems once they become entrenched they become very difficult to root out. 

Here we go again..down another rabbit hole..what the he*l does Italy have to with Mexico...May. as well talk about all of Central America

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Also I seem to recall seeing something about it being late at night when this happened.  Mexicans need to avoid traveling at night just as we do.  The U.S. plates helped make these folks a target as well.

Very sad.  This country doesn't appear to be going in the right direction these days.  You have to wonder about a government spending billions on a tourist train while the roads rot and crime grows steadily worse.  

Now, now LS7.  Let me pat you on the head, maybe that’ll make you feel better. My comments were in reply to what Mainecoons said and was not meant to get you riled up.  Go back and sip your Ensure.  Maybe that’ll calm you down.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

Mexico Daily has an article today about it. I tried to copy the link but received a security alert message.  

No one yet has posted a link to an article in Spanish from any newspaper in the area of the alleged incident.  Where did all of these ENGLISH LANGUAGE links get their information?  

49 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Is El Diario an "area" newspaper ?

"El Diario Nueva York is the largest and the oldest Spanish-language daily in the United States. Published by ImpreMedia, the paper covers local, national and international news with an emphasis on Latin America, as well as human-interest stories, politics, business and technology, health, entertainment, and sports.

Wikipedia"

The article wrongly states that they were driving compact vehicles when they are clearly larger SUV type vehicles.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

"El Diario Nueva York is the largest and the oldest Spanish-language daily in the United States. Published by ImpreMedia, the paper covers local, national and international news with an emphasis on Latin America, as well as human-interest stories, politics, business and technology, health, entertainment, and sports.

Wikipedia"

The article wrongly states that they were driving compact vehicles when they are clearly larger SUV type vehicles.

No, your quote clearly states that it is a Spanish-language daily IN THE UNITED STATES.  

I have just this minute found an article in La Jornada, in its section labeled "Estados".  
https://www.jornada.com.mx/ultimas/estados/2020/01/05/muere-menor-en-ataque-armado-a-familia-en-tamaulipas-5984.html

And here's another from a newspaper in Reynosa:  https://www.elmanana.com/buscan-a-atacantes-de-familia-estadounidense-mier-ataque-armado-riberena/4996496 

So I gather, one might say they were on highway 2 , traveling alongside the border, after dark.

It's a long stretch of 2 lane, dangerous road, heading over to an even more questionable area of risk.

That area appears to have quite a history.  If you google this, you will come up with some info,

such as this, in the https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/ghost-town/

One can only guess that they may have been planning to cross the border into the US at Nueva Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas, Mexico.

Original reports say they were visiting relatives in San Luis Potosi

But a more recent article said they were visiting relatives in Monterrey.

Bottom line.. just my opinion:

Toll roads and daylight are crucial when traveling to the border.  Even then be alert and stay informed.

• Like 1

In the old days when I was younger and Mexico was much safer I explored all the crossing bridges in south Texas. The area where they were is one where you don’t “accidentally” arrive at. They were either visiting someone there or were doing something they shouldn’t been doing. 

Well the attack that was mentioned was reported by Borderland Beat several days before other news outlets latched on to it. Come to think of it another American/Mexican was killed close to one of the border crossing as he refused to give up his pickup truck. I guess you use a different "bank".

• Like 1
  • Sad 2