Chapala.com Webboard

Chicharron prensado

happyjillin

22 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Google it.  I did because as I had not heard of it before.  There are many recipes for it.   If you know what it is you will understand why it is hard.

I looked at a few and none of them tells you how to take that hard brick like pork and make it edible. Most tell you how to make it, not what to do with it afterwards. I know it's hard because I have a piece of it that my son bought at the Cremeria in Chapala.

If you sift through this thread at Chowhound, there is a post by "Cristina" who posts here as @More Liana.  She comments about how she uses it.  If yours is in a large piece, it appears you need to shred it as best you can, or shave/slice it as thin as possible.  Google showed other recipes where it is incorporated into stew(ish) things.  Seems to benefit from added liquid.  

https://www.chowhound.com/post/chicharron-prensado-497484

12 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I looked at a few and none of them tells you how to take that hard brick like pork and make it edible. Most tell you how to make it, not what to do with it afterwards. I know it's hard because I have a piece of it that my son bought at the Cremeria in Chapala.

It shouldn't be hard.  Did he buy it in those plastic packages, or did he buy it from the "wheel"?  Did you read my post on Chowhound, the post that Bisbee Gal refers to?  My post tells you how I make it.  It's never been hard when I've bought it.

8 hours ago, More Liana said:

It shouldn't be hard.  Did he buy it in those plastic packages, or did he buy it from the "wheel"?  Did you read my post on Chowhound, the post that Bisbee Gal refers to?  My post tells you how I make it.  It's never been hard when I've bought it.

It is hard. This is what he bought. I read your post but doesn't tell me what to do with this rock like chunk to make it into something edible.

chicharron prensado 1.jpg

You would cook it like any other dried meat. Like jerky, salt "bully" beef, or more importantly like machacha. Adds a rich flavor to a long simmered broth, then shredded before serving. A staple for cowboys and sailors for centuries. It has been clearly cut with a butchers band saw/bone saw.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:28 PM, happyjillin said:

I think the kid bought the wrong kind,the one at the top that they put an X on. Great vid, gracias! I'm going to try grating it with our cheese grater. It all looks very mouth watering.

Maybe try a wood plane. Seriously, the Japanese use a similar device to shave their dried Bonito Tuna flakes.

Perhaps try microwaving the chunk very briefly, say ten seconds, check for any effect, then another zap or two if none apparent? That might soften "cemented" fats? Zero experience with this preparation, just a guess as a lazy cook north of the border who likes to nuke stuff! Instant pot session sounds plausible, also.