Chapala.com Webboard

Medicare Advantage provider offering MX coverage

...Unfortunately, the level of fraud involved were such a product be offered, would most likely cause it to be shut down in short order. You and me and scores of others would never even consider doing that. But, hot tip, there are way too many people running around out there who would and do. Our very reasonably priced health insurance through my wife's retirement went from $324/Mo for both of us to $1183/Mo unless we returned to the US. Having worked for TIC for 10 years in medical claims, I reached out to some claims people at Aetna. They are the administrators of this coverage and they told me fraud was the major reason BP decided expat coverage needed to pay it's own way. So here we are back in the US since that kind of increase was a no-go for us. Investigating fraudulent claims in the US is difficult enough, in places like Mexico almost impossible for a US insurance company. Although in my much younger days I was sometimes dispatched from my office in San Diego to check some things in Tijuana. After my name was splashed on the front page of the San Diego Union-Tribune as being the American connection to stolen cars showing up in TJ, Travelers decided my career SOB was over. I must have been upsetting the apple cart, probably lucky I wasn't killed. Ah, youth!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Medicar Advantage Provider said:

Has anyone found a Medicare Advantage provider that offers MX coverage?

Would be less expensive / more  profitable for coverage provider.

And better for us.

No, and no one is going to find one either!  The best one could hope for is one that will cover EMERGENCY situations while on VACATION in Mexico. 

BTW, your Avitar might say a whole lot about who you might be..... is your next Post going to be a sales promotion?

• Like 2

@Pappysmarket, we are thinking about returning to the US, also for the same reasons.  

When we moved here 3 years ago we thought we would obtain health or evac insurance for my spouse, then 70, and inexpensive private coverage here in Mexico for me, then 56.  Come to find out the evac insurance doesn't cover you until you are completely stabilized in Mexico, so what's the point in going back to the US by that time?  Also, we have been told that after age 70 the cost of insurance here is so pricey it's not even worth it.  Better to stash the $700 or $800 or more a month that would go towards Mexican health insurance, in the bank and have it saved for an emergency. 

In my situation, now at age 58 , I am being quoted appx $375-  a month for global insurance excluding the US by companies like Cigna, and roughly the same price by local insurance companies here in Mexico.  It's substantially much higher than when we were researching Mexico 3-4 years ago, when the quotes at the time were a reasonable $150-$200 a month. 

I've been told that it is due to fraud and padding the bills. I know my recent stay in Puerta del Hierro Sur was $700 a night per room(!) and I was told the prices were geared to the US market and those with generous insurance.

4 minutes ago, kimanjome said:

I've been told that it is due to fraud and padding the bills. I know my recent stay in Puerta del Hierro Sur was $700 a night per room(!) and I was told the prices were geared to the US market and those with generous insurance.

You got that right. have any of you noticed that there is a Ferrari/Maserati dealership in close proximity to that hospital😀.

• Like 3