Chapala.com Webboard

rent

luvsdawgs

What is legaly allowed and what is actually practiced are 2 very different things. 

Try to find help. Good luck. Legal process would take forever.

I have seen rents raised 50%. The tenants left and the houses were left vacant for years after. Landords here do not think the way you are used to up north.  It is like it is worth x and if they won"t pay no problem, but that is what it's worth. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Remember when there were murders because some people refused to move. Happens here in Mexico. They were old and did not want to move.

Remember when there were not murders even though many people refused to move? You must since it still happens every day because most Mexicans are not murderers. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

What is legaly allowed and what is actually practiced are 2 very different things. 

Try to find help. Good luck. Legal process would take forever.

I have seen rents raised 50%. The tenants left and the houses were left vacant for years after. Landords here do not think the way you are used to up north.  It is like it is worth x and if they won"t pay no problem, but that is what it's worth. 

Yes, and often times when a Mexican family had a house for sale that did not sell within the first 6 months...they would hire a new realtor and raise the price. When I asked one "why" the response I got was that after 6 months it was certainly worth more now. Hmm...seemed logical to me so several years later we found ourselves in a similar position. So when in Rome, right? To our surprise it only took 2 months to work after a very hefty increase. Just one more lesson I learned from living in Mexico, I could write a book from all the lessons I learned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Yes, and often times when a Mexican family had a house for sale that did not sell within the first 6 months...they would hire a new realtor and raise the price. When I asked one "why" the response I got was that after 6 months it was certainly worth more now. Hmm...seemed logical to me so several years later we found ourselves in a similar position. So when in Rome, right? To our surprise it only took 2 months to work after a very hefty increase. Just one more lesson I learned from living in Mexico, I could write a book from all the lessons I learned.

Cousin in Texas tried to sell his house on Lake LBJ for $225k with a realtor for a year. Had 6 people look, but no offers. Put up his own signs and sold it for $345K within 45 days. WOW !!!

16 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Legal limit is 10%. Each year. That is all. 180 days notice to kick you out. Some individuals simply do not leave. Some landlords simply refuse to do repairs. Etc, etc, etc.

I have read this same comment about the "10% legal limit" for rent increases. Out of curiosity could you put that into some context? I've been a landlord for 30 years but never a renter.

Let's assume hat a lease is an enforceable contract which in Mexico could be a flawed assumption. Potential tenant and landlord agree on a 1 year lease for $x pesos/month. At the end of that year the contract is over and the landlord can offer the tenant first right of refusal (if he wishes) at any amount he likes. If the tenant thinks it's too high they go elsewhere.

I've done 2 year leases guaranteeing the rent amount which is good for the tenant and having the house occupied for that period is good for the landlord. No carrying costs when vacant and no hassle vetting potential new tenants. At the end of the contract period the landlord should be free to assign any rent amount with no guarantee they'll be any takers.

I have heard comments made about 5 year or even 10 year leases which to me as a landlord seems insane but even if true, wouldn't those types of long term agreements have wording about rent changes?

Landlords not making repairs is a totally different topic but shouldn't a tenant vet a potential landlord the same way the landlord checks out a potential tenant? 

1 hour ago, HookEmHorns said:

Cousin in Texas tried to sell his house on Lake LBJ for $225k with a realtor for a year. Had 6 people look, but no offers. Put up his own signs and sold it for $345K within 45 days. WOW !!!

That is surprising. A lot of murderers in Texas, for no valid reason at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, John Shrall said:

I have read this same comment about the "10% legal limit" for rent increases. Out of curiosity could you put that into some context? I've been a landlord for 30 years but never a renter.

Let's assume hat a lease is an enforceable contract which in Mexico could be a flawed assumption. Potential tenant and landlord agree on a 1 year lease for $x pesos/month. At the end of that year the contract is over and the landlord can offer the tenant first right of refusal (if he wishes) at any amount he likes. If the tenant thinks it's too high they go elsewhere.

I've done 2 year leases guaranteeing the rent amount which is good for the tenant and having the house occupied for that period is good for the landlord. No carrying costs when vacant and no hassle vetting potential new tenants. At the end of the contract period the landlord should be free to assign any rent amount with no guarantee they'll be any takers.

I have heard comments made about 5 year or even 10 year leases which to me as a landlord seems insane but even if true, wouldn't those types of long term agreements have wording about rent changes?

Landlords not making repairs is a totally different topic but shouldn't a tenant vet a potential landlord the same way the landlord checks out a potential tenant? 

Your example pretty much covers it. As far as term, the law says a legally binding lease can not be for more than one year. However, I often put in stipulations about term, and as long as no one contests it legally, it's all fine. One has to assume that at the time of the contract, both parties are willing, obviously. And that can certainly change.

(Last time a landlord when apecrap on me, we left at the end of the lease. We couldn't get all the furniture out, and when we turned up the next day with the truck, she had changed the locks. I called a locksmith, he came to break them open. She called the cops, we called the cops, we all went to jail. The judge heard our arguments, did not ask to see any paperwork, told her to let us in and never bother us again.)

At the end of a lease, the landlord is allowed to charge whatever they want (or think they can get away with), as long as the tenants are new. As far as checking out the integrity of a new landlord, who the heck can tell without contacting previous renters? Even with a rental management agency, who knows. Our own experience with Crazy Lady is a perfect example: she was my Mom's best friend the first two years we lived there... then she decided we were rich and she deserved more money, and she became, truly, The Enemy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Valid, elite democrats don't know what "no trespassing"means. Slow learners. :D

Here we go again down another rabbit hole...A lease is a lease and maybe renewed or not depending on how it is worded...When one contract end another begin's,  could less, same or more rent..Period   and in Mexico could be not worth the paper it is written on

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Here we go again down another rabbit hole...A lease is a lease and maybe renewed or not depending on how it is worded...When one contract end another begin's,  could less, same or more rent..Period   and in Mexico could be not worth the paper it is written on

If the current renter refuses the new terms and the landlord will not renew the lease, the tenant must be given 180 day’s notice to vacate. Meanwhile all the landlord can do is accept the 10% increase for the duration. If you have the stomach for a fight you can tie the landlord up in court for years. As has been advised here before though  be sure you know who you are fighting with before you start.  

• Thanks 1

A well-educated Mexican I know, who is very knowledgable and says he's going to be a politician in his next lifetime, told me that under Mexican law, if you have been renting the same place for a full 10 years and always paid the rent on time, that the 11th year is supposed to be free. Hard to believe, but I can't imagine him saying that if it wasn't true. He said almost no one is aware of that law, but that it does exist.

9 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

Once a tenant stops paying rent and the eviction notice is delivered legally under federal law the tenant has 90 days rent free before eviction and moves out, not 180 days.

You are correct.  I don´t know where this 180 day or 11th year free, business comes from. it´s not the law.