Chapala.com Webboard

How can I tell if my gas guy is ripping me off?

My tank is on the roof but I can easily get to it.

When the gas truck arrives, the only thing I know to do is make sure the flow gauge is at 000 when it starts.

Are gas prices regulated? I ask because I read that they go up on the first off every month.

14 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

My tank is on the roof but I can easily get to it.

When the gas truck arrives, the only thing I know to do is make sure the flow gauge is at 000 when it starts.

Are gas prices regulated? I ask because I read that they go up on the first off every month.

Eric Blair:  Here is what we have done for almost 22 years in MX.  Read the gauge before you have your tank filled.  Ours is always at the same level when we we order.  Call the propane truck, have whatever amount (pesos) you want put in the tank, or fill it, whatever you usually do.  A few minutes after the tank is filled, read the gauge and determine what amount has been put in.  Repeat that process each time you order and the amount received should be about the same each month.  Yes, prices go up.  But, the level of what you receive, if you order consistently, should not change.   We also check our levels the same day every week and determine approximate amount of usage so that we know if there is a leak (our tank is 12 years old.    We have used Zeta gas for 12 years and have had the same 2 people fill our tank for around 7 years (we lived in another State in MX for 10 years prior to moving here and used the same procedures).  376 766 0790   

Of course, I know there will probably be feed back about Zeta. 

If someone is losing sleep over this then here is an option. Go to Amazon or Ebay and buy two high capacity bathroom scales (don't worry they are cheap).  Place one scale under the right footing of your Lp tank and the other under the left footing of the tank.  Record the numbers of the two scales prior to filling and add together.  After filling your tank, record the scale numbers again and subtract the first number from the second reading.  Lp per liter weighs about 1.1 lb.  Do the math and now you can sleep at night.

Better yet forget spending $80 for two scales and apply that money to a solar hot water system.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Out1 said:

Yo1, can you share the names and phone numbers of your honest gas guys. 

I, and a number of others who have been here for a long time, use Juan  333 971 0630.  I've never had a problem with him, he is polite and comes when he says he will be here.

• Like 3

Zeta gas screwed big time. I have electronic level sensor for each one of my tanks. They where connected the day after Zeta gas filled them. They clearly showed up with the delivery hose empty. I have since changed suppliers and they are aware that I have level monitors. I also give them a good tip. Also beware that if you are using cylinders, once filled they should weight 55 kg. I had a cylinder once and weighed it with the help of some workers and it was exactly 55 kg.

I take a photo of the gauge right after I call them, and a photo after, as well as watching them start the pumping at the truck gauge reading 000.

I did catch my otherwise-honest guys giving me a rigged receipt after watching a new team member do the filling. I called and they fixed me up; telling me the new guy was a cousin and he wouldn't be back. This "cousin" slipped me his own gas delivery business card while he was here.

8 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Well the ZETA rip off was in the order of 40 liters (must be nice to be able to ignore that kind of money).

My bills and refill timing have always been consistent for 13 years. The only thing I ignore is making myself crazy about checking the haitch out of everything like some seem to be obsessed with.

• Like 5

Good tips from all. Thanks.

I like the idea or saying $300 or a specific amount and making certain what your fill gauge shows and the truck shows 000.

True, a few pesos won't make/break most of us, for me, it's just I don't like getting "Gringo taxed," aka, ripped off.

But Walmart, or some of the checkers have shortchanging down to a fine art.  I once didn't get my cash back of $2,000 and when I came back, the manager balanced the register and gave me the $2,000 back with an apology. Now that's fair.

2 minutes ago, bmh said:

Eric Blair has been here a long time  and it is only now that he is wondering about the gaz company. If he has not figured it out in that many years , he never will, ...the post is a waste of time.

I'm never above learning, and sometimes people/stores, etc. change over time. I like to keep updated.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bmh said:

Eric Blair has been here a long timeand it is only now that he is wondering about the gaz company. If he has not figured it out in that many years , he never will, ...the post is a waste of time.

His previous screen name said it all...for those who remember.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, happyjillin said:

My bills and refill timing have always been consistent for 13 years. The only thing I ignore is making myself crazy about checking the haitch out of everything like some seem to be obsessed with.

There has to be some other activity in people´s lives besides posting on this board that fulfills their sense of well being, and "checking  the haitch out of everything", might just be it.:D

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Xena said:

I honestly do not understand how someone  living here 15 years or so has no clue  about how receiving propane works or how propane is priced or which dealers are honest. This is just sad. 

If you had said "I understand why this person has no clue about the propane business",     I...…... would understand why you said it.   :D

• Haha 1