Chapala.com Webboard

New SAT Hospital- US Supplementary ins coverage

At the urging of many USA friends I took details of my USA Supplemental Insurance Coverage to determine what if any coverage I could obtain at the new SAT Hospital.

My Medicare Supplemental Ins is with Aetna and has a High Deductible Plan F, which I took to "Sra Giorretti" who handles the verification process

The outcome , my insurance company has provided COB (confirmation of benefits) and I have emergency coverage with Lakeside Medical Group medical providers and hospital. My policy covers urgent care and emergencies only outside of the USA. Also my benefits is for coverage outside of the USA is limited to emergencies only and only for the first 60 days from any departure from the USA.

Whilst this policy is restricted to a very limited window of opportunity the fact that I can receive treatment is very reassuring. Importantly if and when I need treatment the insurance company will likely check my passport etc to verify the dates I left the USA.

I would be interested in hearing from other peoples experiences. For me a nice New Years gift

This is (and has been) true of most Medicare Supplement plans; they pay for outside the US emergencies in the first 60 days of trip, with certain limitations.  Nothing special about using it at Lakeside Medical Group.  

From Medicare.gov: 

What if I have a Medigap (Medicare Supplement Insurance) policy? Your Medigap policy may offer additional coverage for health care services or supplies that you get outside the U.S. Standard Medigap plans C, D, F, G, M, and N provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the U.S. Plans E, H, I, and J are no longer for sale, but if you bought one before June 1, 2010, you may keep it. All of these plans also provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the U.S. Medigap plans C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M, and N pay 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year. These Medigap policies cover foreign travel emergency care if it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn’t otherwise cover the care. Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000.

• Thanks 1