Chapala.com Webboard

Accident on the Topes

Alpha1

5 minutes ago, bmh said:

and the 6T volteos that deliver sand and stones etc for construction..The 18 wheelers are not the only trucks that go too fast and cannot stop..Chapala has a hill coming down as well and then they enter the town so it is just as bad .

I don't recall reports of similar accidents involving out of control trucks at the Chapala hill.  Are there similar issues there?

The problem Ajijic or San Juan and other pueblos have is that there is only one access road so if delivery have to be made trucks need to be allowed.. They could modify the size of the  trucks that are allowed up to a point but I do not think it would make much difference.

14 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I don't recall reports of similar accidents involving out of control trucks at the Chapala hill.  Are there similar issues there?

About a year or two  ago I saw an overturned truck who ,probably with the help of the semi, noise making, topes, had the smarts to pull to the right and landed on its side and only damaged one other vehicle and there were no injuries. Sorry the Bomberos,Transitos, Muni Policia and I didn't make you aware of this at the time.

The problem is not necessarily the 18 wheelers here. Most of these are driven by expedience drivers and the problems are failing brakes that are rare. I lived for a number of years in the California High Desert above the Cajon Pass that traverses the mountain on Highway 18, the route to Las Vegas. This is a major 4 lane  highway and going down (South) it is truly scary.They have built a couple of emergency exits for trucks with failing brakes that takes them off the highway onto a siding with a ascending sand mound that quickly bring the truck to a halt. This would not be an option on the libramiento due to the businesses there. The main problem here is inexperienced smaller truck and car drivers (also maybe impaired) that come upon the topes expectantly and unprepared. My suggestion is painting not white stripes but some sort of incandescent paint stripes (glowing) before and ON the topes that give more advanced notice particularly at night. 

9 hours ago, gringohombre said:

The problem is not necessarily the 18 wheelers here. Most of these are driven by expedience drivers and the problems are failing brakes that are rare. I lived for a number of years in the California High Desert above the Cajon Pass that traverses the mountain on Highway 18, the route to Las Vegas. This is a major 4 lane  highway and going down (South) it is truly scary.They have built a couple of emergency exits for trucks with failing brakes that takes them off the highway onto a siding with a ascending sand mound that quickly bring the truck to a halt. This would not be an option on the libramiento due to the businesses there. The main problem here is inexperienced smaller truck and car drivers (also maybe impaired) that come upon the topes expectantly and unprepared. My suggestion is painting not white stripes but some sort of incandescent paint stripes (glowing) before and ON the topes that give more advanced notice particularly at night. 

Yes, they could definitely use more paint, especially flourescent, on topes everywhere. 

6 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Probably the most worthless thread in the last 10 pages of this particular forum.  LOL

There have been many much worse

I'm of course no engineer, unlike everyone else here. Pretty sure they could do it if they wanted to. Yeah, some businesses would be screwed. Comes down to a question of what's better: donuts and tire shops or safety. Topes won't stop anything like a runaway truck. Add the high-tension cables at the end (designed originally for protecting racetrack spectators), along with the water-filled devices and sand mountains, and bingo. The 2nd image only requires 100 metres.

231753888_runawaytruckramp.jpg.6c8d3936f5d2e1b5ed3362fc1109c11c.jpg

runaway truck ramp2.jpg

In 33 years I can count the runaway trucks on my 2 hands, and the number of injuries on 1 hand. Y'all need to get a hobby. 

The biggest problen is stupid drivers turning too sharply at speed, and not runaway trucks from brake failures. 

Unfortunatly topes, ramps, signs, nor stoplights cure or prevent stupidity. 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I'm of course no engineer, unlike everyone else here. Pretty sure they could do it if they wanted to. Yeah, some businesses would be screwed. Comes down to a question of what's better: donuts and tire shops or safety. Topes won't stop anything like a runaway truck. Add the high-tension cables at the end (designed originally for protecting racetrack spectators), along with the water-filled devices and sand mountains, and bingo. The 2nd image only requires 100 metres.

231753888_runawaytruckramp.jpg.6c8d3936f5d2e1b5ed3362fc1109c11c.jpg

runaway truck ramp2.jpg

Those look like very ineffective run away lanes-the useful ones I've seen seen are quite steep. You want gravity to do most of the slowing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

A pit of gravel will cause the wheels to sink into the base and stop the forward motion.

If the gravel doesn't disappear. It sounds like it would be a big job to tow a rig out of the gravel.